Making a fire with a lemon

Discussion in 'All Resources About Fire' started by SirJoe, Jun 18, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I always get surprised at the amount of methods there are to make fire. This method takes advantage of basic high school chemistry.

Bigman.Chris likes this.
  2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    I.. uh... what? Making fire with a lemon? Who even comes up with this stuff, haha! I knew that lemons have electric power but I didn't think you can come up with a contraption to create fire, pretty cool! I wonder if you can do this with other fruits like apples or watermelon, that would be interesting to see.

3. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Very smart. How many times can one lemon be used to start fires?

4. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    haha, this is awesome. However, with the amount of items needed, I think it would certainly be easier to just find a lighter or some matches.

5. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    This. Is. Awesome. I am so buying myself some lemons tomorrow. And it's not for lemonade ;)
    Still...in a time of crisis, I don't know how useful setting lemons on fire would be. Copper clips and steel wool might be hard to come by.

6. neoKit

neoKit New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    That is another good idea but I was thinking whether buying a lemon can be cheaper than buying a matchbox. I recommend it for a one time use when you have no choice. I have never forgotten to carry my Flint fire starter with me. I can use it during hot or cold seasons. I also try to avoid carrying matchboxes since they are unable to start a fire when they are cold.

7. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Make lemonaide buy bic lighters in four packs

ZoeZoundBarrier likes this.
  8. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    We learned this in grade school. There is a electrical charge from the lemon and if you hook it up to a light bulb it should light up.

9. Verity

Verity New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I knew you could light a light bulb with lemons as @joshposh mentioned above. I remember doing it in science class. However, I'm not sure why it never dawned on me that you could make fire with a lemon. For some reason my mind is blown. I'm glad we have others thinking these things and even more glad that they are willing to share them.

10. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I think it's all a question of looking around you and making the most of what you have. Like they say you never know, it might come in handy one day.

11. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    I understand what people are saying. Obviously, creating fire is so much easier with a match or a flint starter, but what if someone comes in the middle of the night while you are sleeping and steals these items. Perhaps the would-be thief won't steal your lemons! Knowledge is power and having the knowledge to complete a task (like starting a fire) in more than one way is always beneficial to me!

hades_leae likes this.
  12. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    That was super cool, at first I was like, man this dude is doing this when there are plenty of other simple methods one could use in the 21st century to make fire. It's for the simple fact that this is also a way to save ones life in case they needed fire, I will always remember this.

I thought it was just over kill but that was really cool, I did not ever think to do something like that.

13. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    The more you know in a survival situation the better. As you say there might be other easier methods to start a fire but if you don't have the things that you need to start it it's good to know that there is always an alternative .

14. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, that's true, and it's nice to know that there are all sorts of different ways you can still get things done like you don't need bricks to build shelter, and if you knew that then you would be better off.

Many people out there don't know of different methods to get things done like some probably believe that you need soap to clean your body, and no of no other method to do so. If they knew, then their lives would be much better off in a bad situation.

15. Vinaya

Vinaya Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    That's crazy. I had never heard about making fire from lemon. In fact I even did not know lemon has electric power. If lemon has electric power, any kind of citrus fruits can have electric power.
    So we can make fire from lemon, however, we may be unabale to use this method in survival situation. We get a lemon, now where do we find wires and pins. The best wat to make fire in survival situate is by rubbing two stones or sticks.

16. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    This is really cool, who knew this could be done? I wouldn't depend on this in a survival situation tho. The only problem is what happens when the lemon spoils? I'm shocked by the fact that this can produce electricity all by itself. Good video.

17. ZoeZoundBarrier

ZoeZoundBarrier Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    That is exactly where I was headed with my reply. It is a creative way to build a fire, but if you have a fresh lemon in a survival situation, most likely you are going to want to use it for food. Burning up necessary nutrients is a waste.

18. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    This is just great the person who came up with this method could be considered to be a genius. This is very useful information to have so now I will be considering the inclusion of these the items thet made the fire in my survival list.

19. gracer

gracer New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Wow! This is great! :) This is a first for me. Thank you so much for sharing. This just shows that there are a lot of ways we could create fires with the use of creativity and resourcefulness. Who knew one could even create fire out of a lemon? This is one of the reasons why I'm glad I found this forum. 'm learning a lot from the topics being posted here.

20. Rere

Rere New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    That is another good idea but I was thinking whether buying a lemon can be cheaper than buying a matchbox. I recommend it for a one time use when you have no choice. I have never forgotten to carry my Flint fire starter with me. I can use it during hot or cold seasons. I also try to avoid carrying matchboxes since they are unable to start a fire when they are cold.

21. Tanner Kozlowski

Tanner Kozlowski New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    This is so clever and awesome haha! It really does intrigue me as to how many crazy and different ways there are to start a fire, with items you would never expect to do so. Although I do see using the lemon as a alternative choice to the regular ways to start a fire, it is still cool to know that you can start a fire with a lemon!

22. Bigman.Chris

Bigman.Chris New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    This is absolutely amazing. I never would have imagined this being possible, until now.

23. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    Now how cool was that !
    Clever!
    Loved it.

24. Sino

Sino Member
      18/25

Blog Posts:
    Wow, this is actually very cool and fascinating! This could actually help a lot of people to. I don't think it's very practical because I just don't see someone having all of these materials in a survival situation.

25. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I have to admit this is a new one on me. Using a lemon to make fire is something I never heard before. However, if you are having to resort to using a lemon to make fire you are probably not going to have all the materials you need. Cool to know though.

jeager likes this.
  26. DonScott

DonScott New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    That's pretty awesome. It may be impractical for a survival situation but still pretty impressive!

27. dero56

dero56 New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Wow, my mind is blown, I knew about lemons being able to generate an electric charge but using that charge to spark a fire is just genius! Glad always keep a few lemons in the fridge, now I've got another use for them other than making lemon water or cleaning, man this fruit does it all. Anyone else know any other crazy utility uses for lemons?

28. rose thornes

rose thornes New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    How can you make fire using lemon? This really confuse me.

29. Scarlet

Scarlet Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Amazing! I felt glad to see that video. I never thought that I can create fire using those materials that I usually have at home. Knowledge is really power and now I know what I'm going to do with those copper clips that had been in my office drawers for quite sometime now that I thought of throwing.

30. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    wow i though i knew all the ways to start a fire .

31. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Knowledge is weightless and you never know when you can take various pieces of knowledge and solve a problem. There are a lot of ways to make low voltage electrical power. Look up the Baghdad Battery we've had this technology for thousands of years. Once you have power you can take steel wool, the foil off a piece of chewing gum or several other light metals and make electric voltage heat up a resistant piece hot enough to make a spark or a fire. There is no such thing as useless knowledge.

32. KarlSurvivor

KarlSurvivor Active Member
      31/58

Blog Posts:
    Good video, thank for sharing it. Is amazing how the people figure out how to use some common thing to improve their survival skills

33. KarlSurvivor

KarlSurvivor Active Member
      31/58

Blog Posts:
    That's so cool! It should be an experiment made in high school to learn about electrochemistry. Thanks for sharing it.

34. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Just seeing the title of the thread had me curious enough to watch. Very interesting, and I'm sure it works. That is an awful lot of paraphernalia to have available to start a fire. You can do the same thing with a 9 volt battery and steel wool. I have even seen it done with a AA battery and a chewing gum wrapper. All good skills to know.

TMT Tactical likes this.