Making Knives Out of Stone

Discussion in 'Other DIY' started by John Snort, May 23, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    They've been used before and as rocks and stones can be found almost everywhere should the need to make a weapon or tool arise you need to know how it's done.

Choosing The Right Rocks:
    Not all rocks can be used to make knives. Flint or obsidian might be the best but if you can't find them rocks then to find if the rocks available can make good knives, knock them together. If they make a "ringing" sound then you have the right ones.

Step Two:
    You'll need a hammer stone. These will be rocks with rounded surfaces. Rocks which don't chip easily.

Step Three:
    Place the rock that you'll use to make a knife on a flat [but elevated] surface and strike it's edge with blows that don't stop on impact. Since the rocks are hard and brittle, the goal is to fracture the rock so it can produce a sharp blade.

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't think we need go back to the stone age any time soon.

John Snort likes this.
  3. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    Only when the need calls for it. Should we have a nuclear apocalypse then the survivors will be thrust right back to the stone age. I wouldn't want to be around when that happens though.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    not nuclear no. but anything other than that I intend to survive.
    I think there will be plenty of metal we can strip down and sharpen to use as knives, without heaving rocks about.
    like most survivalists i'm an avid knife collector!!:p

John Snort likes this.
  5. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Well, you can find obsidian if your survivalist struggle is happening near a volcanic area. Otherwise, rocks should do. But I think that if you ever stumble upon a dire situation where you have to make knives out of stone or glass. Is pretty likely that you have to do it because you forgot to bring along a reliable knife with you rather than a Nuclear fallout taking humanity back to stone age.

John Snort likes this.
  6. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    There will be mountains of scrap steel around
    Rebar from busted up concrete buildings will be everywhere some of it stainless!
    Vehicle springs etc etc!
    Find coal build hot fire!
    Find a little rail track
    Have hammer!
    heat steel in furnace place on upturned rail track hit with hammer!
    What rocks do you need? unless you keep a head full of them!:confused:

7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    I made knives out of stone when I just started out surviving and I wasn't that prepared, it takes a long time to make them sharp and usually they come out jagged, but I was able to use it for basic tasks. They're definitely weaker than a stainless steel one.