Making traps or actively hunting?

Discussion in 'Hunting / Fishing / Trapping' started by franky, Jun 4, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

?

Which one?

1. trapping

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. hunting

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. franky

franky Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    Some combination of both trapping and hunting is probably the best, but in some situations you can dedicate your time to only one of those two options. Would you rather actively hunt/fish for food or rely exclusively on traps you have built? Which one do you think provides more food?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    This is one I can answer with some certainty, because I lived this way for over 20 years here in Australia & started when I was a child in England. I made my own traps & set up trap lines, this was my main source of food for the table. As a back-up I carried (& still carry) a flintlock muzzle-loading fusil. You could carry a bow, but a bow is no match against a gun if someone is laying in wait for you on your trap line. This is the risk of running a trap line, but it is still the best way to obtain meat for the table, because traps are working for you day & night whilst you are working or asleep.
    Keith.
    http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/search?q=traps+&+trapping
    http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/search?q=trail+snares
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHEOMSZJETfj3GnoyONuvCQ?view_as=public

John Snort likes this.
  3. ally79

ally79 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Ideally you would do both, but if for some reason you can't I agree with Keith. You set your traps and snares because they can catch and kill game when you aren't around. Some game is more active at night so there is the potential to wake-up to breakfast.

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I personally think that in a wilderness survival situation that hunting as a means of making meat is overrated. You can only eat just so much food at a time. You are catching animals in your traps, & you are eating what you can of the fresh meat. The rest is dried & stored against hard times. If you are hunting as well, then you need to check the trap line first to make sure you have not caught anything, then hunt on your return to camp if the traps are empty. If you are using a gun, then you don't want to be wasting ammo when there is no need.
    Keith.

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Hunting is proactive so I chose it over the passive trapping. I have no experience in both but I have learned from stories of other people. They would lay a trap to catch birds using the bamboo stick that has a rubber strip at the top end that would trap the neck of the bird when it bites the bait. But that trap is only effective when the bird would perch on the bamboo stick. But what if no bird was attracted? With hunting, say using a rifle or slingshot, you have the upperhand since you can choose the location by observing where the birds are lingering. Definitely, hunting can bring you more catch than trapping. But that's with birds.

For big game like deer or wild boar, maybe, just maybe but not really sure that the trap would bring you the bounty simply because it is difficult to hunt wild game for they are elusive and they can smell the odor of the hunter. Just my thoughts, no proof of this.

6. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    A combination of both is ideal as each has its pro's and con's!
    Without other humans around to cause trouble all is fine
    But traps are a dead giveaway that the trapper will be back right there in less than a day!
    But a gunshot only gives an approximate location for there and then!

For me I would need more details of the human menace to choose!

7. richj8am30

richj8am30 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Various types of traps are utilized to get diverse prey. Snares can be set with bait put close by, some are sweetly scented to attract bigger catch, others are brilliantly colored in vibrant shades. Survival snares and traps will have the capacity to help you nourish yourself and your family amid natural calamities and are mostly fundamentally useful in case you're basically simply hoping to supplement your decisions when living off the grid or on a rustic residence, giving you some variety. So traps are not futile by any means during a disaster or in off the grid living conditions, I would utilize both strategies to acquire sustenance.

8. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    I'm inclined to think that active stalking and hunting is more of a sport with the benefits of putting food on the table. Some guys just like to stalk their prey, and it's for men to prove their manhood and get trophy at the end of the day. Now trapping is a straight up way to get as much meat as you can with the least amount of effort.

Trapping where I'm from is illegal. But if I had set up 1000 snares in the wild and maintain them, I'm sure I will get more meat then I would by actively stalking my prey.

9. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    I think trapping is better. Some you build only once and you are done. All you'll do afterwards is come see if you've got some food. Hunting can prove to be a little trickier because you have to go find the animals fast which might be hard unless you walk really long distances and if there are dangerous animals that live around it can be quite risky.

10. SurvivingPrepper

SurvivingPrepper New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Snares and traps are more efficient. Wrote a post about it after reading Grid Down Reality Bites series of books. You need special license for trapping in Texas. But you don't need anything more than a fishing license. For fishing yo yos.