Marching and trekking

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by Arboreal, Jun 15, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    How good should a self-respected prepper be at long marches? I've read somewhere else than armies usually expect that the soldier will be able to march at the pace of no less than 5 kilometers per hour, carrying the load of 20 to 30 kilograms. Is this a necessary skill for survivalists, or can something less be satisfactory? I love hiking and take long walks regularly, so carrying a load is not a problem for me, but for children, elderly and people with poor health overall this would be unattainable no matter how much they trained before.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Coputere

Coputere New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I do not know if this is too helpful of a skill. Even learning to ride horses will help you develop a certain amount of skill sets that can be seen as helpful but I highly doubt that it is required. If marching is that effective an activity then maybe you should compensate by Hiking while fully clothed in heavy backpacking gear. There is no doubt that it will help any prepper in certain areas, it all depends what it is that you want to obtain from it.

3. Arboreal

Arboreal Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    @ Coputere: Horses are actually surprisingly expensive and while I don't ride myself, I know a few people who do and they claim it takes years to learn it, especially if you didn't start in the childhood. If vehicles aren't available or there's no fuel (which usually happens after a disaster), or terain doesn't allow them, it will be more practical to use your own back.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I have yet to experience that kind of trekking. We had a planned trek to the Taal Volcano, the small volcano in the island inside the Taal lake. The guide said that the hike up takes about an hour for newbies like us. We were advised to bring snacks and drinks for it is good to linger in the crater for an hour or so. The precaution was strongly worded for us to be aware that it is a trek and not a simple hike. And for those weak-kneed, you can rent a horse so you can take it easy on yourself.

It's just sad that on the day of our trip, it rained so hard on the night before. When we called the guide, he said that trekking is suspended for the slope is surely muddy and conducive to accidents. That was last February. During the summer months after that, we had no time to spare so the trip remains pending. And now it is the start of the rainy season so maybe that trek to the volcano's crater will have to wait for next year.

5. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Your marching speed is not so important in todays world!
    But your ability to backup day after day is!
    Your group will only be as good as your weakest member
    so long as that is not you ! all good!

6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I am an Historical Trekker, that is what I enjoy doing. But I am now at an age where I am no longer able to dog trot with a pack on my back. Even so I do the best I can with what I have. Speed may be of importance in certain circumstances, & I certainly would not slow a group down if this was the case. I would simply take the position of rear guard & let the rest of the group go ahead. Of course I realise that my sons & my younger wife would not desert me, nothing I can do about that. But at the same time I am sure that we could take precautions to keep ourselves safe whilst travelling at a slower pace.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]

Arboreal likes this.
  7. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    I know someone who had to walk 110 miles in two days. He'd stop at night of course but at the end of it all he was so tired that he had to lie in bed for 48 hours to sleep of the exhaustion. While most people may not have to walk that far in such a short time, you need to be able to do it. If you can walk two or three miles a day, everyday [call it exercising if you must] I'm sure walking a longer distance wouldn't be too hard.

8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    if you can average 4mph you'll be doing well, most of the time you'll be doing a lot less especially in rough terrain or inclement weather, or if you have children and old people in your party. aim for maybe 20 miles per day with frequent rest periods.

9. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Well it all depends on where you are going. :D I think this would fall along the same lines as "being fit is being good". It might not help you for a particular thing but overall it will provide you with all sorts of benefits on a daily basis.

10. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    if your on your own you go at your own speed, but in a family group you will all travel at the speed of the slowest.