Marijuana As Pain Killers?

Discussion in 'Herbalism - Medicinal, Practical, and other Uses' started by camshaq23, May 15, 2017.

Marijuana As Pain Killers? 5 5 1votes
5/5, 1 vote

1. camshaq23

camshaq23 New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I don't know, my friend suggest that marijuana could be good pain killers when injured or even sick. Overall I think it is so because marijuana is said to give a sense of relaxation and soothes the atmosphere within the mind.

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I recommend that you stay away from the weed. Using marijuana in a survival situation is in my opinion not a wise thing to do. Carry some Panadol or the equivalent with you. You are better off have a nip of rum than using grass. Smoking marijuana will slow you down, physically & mentally.
    Keith.

Bishop and camshaq23 like this.
  3. camshaq23

camshaq23 New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Okay... Panadol is the way to go and true , marijuana does slow you down mentally but it is still a good pain killer.

4. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    I have to agree with Keith and advise against the marijuana.

In a normal environment, yes, marijuana is used to treat chronic pain and so on but you have to take into consideration that when you're in a survival situation it's not a wise choice. It can cloud your judgment quite a bit, can cause anxiety, panic, hallucinations, lowers your reaction time, ...

What about ibuprofen?

5. working3

working3 New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Weed can help if your frantic and have anxiety about being in a survival situation. It'll for sure calm you down so that you can think. The BEST ideas are had while high. To dispute the points made above, some of the best paintings, lyrics and other creations have come out of individuals being completely stoned (amongst other things). I don't smoke weed and I never will. I don't like the smell personally. I would consider for pain medication if it was the only proven and natural thing around. There is not disputing the fact that weed helps with pain management. It's scientifically proven and given all over the world as a prescription for pain. I wholeheartedly disagree with the idea that weed would be harmful in an emergency/survival situation.

6. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    Cannabinoids have been used as a painkiller for some time, but as noted above, they typically come with some pretty negative side effects. Pain management can be achieved by other methods.

And it is worth noting that it is illegal in most US states, is a Schedule I federally, and verboten in many other societies. While that is irrelevant in TEOTWAWKI, it is a factor in a shorter term emergency. Fines, jail time, and a criminal record are not conducive to survival.

7. Sino

Sino Member
      18/25

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I'd have to agree with Keith and this is coming from a user of a marijuana. In a survival situation it is not ideal. You should just use what he suggested because marijuana would not be a good choice during a survival situation.

8. scaruso3

scaruso3 New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Marijuana can be an excellent form of treatment for pain. When buying at a dispensary, there will be a CBD percentage for each strain. The higher CBD percentage results in a higher relief of pain. The relaxation has nothing to do with pain relief, just the high. I would highly recommend using marijuana as a form of pain relief. Plus, it is not addictive like most other pain killers.

9. SouthernMama

SouthernMama Active Member
      33/58

Blog Posts:
    Well I am not too sure that it is a good idea to stock up on marijuana to use as a pain killer when TSHTF. Pretty sure it would cause a few legal problems while stockpiling it!
    I also agree with the ones that say it will impair your judgement too much to be used effectively.

10. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I don't believe marijuana has that power... Not at all. I believe it's just another elaborate excuse to justify the use it in certain situations (especially for those who are already addicted). Until science proves otherwise, I definitely don't believe it. :)

11. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    From what I have read (and I have no experience with this) , cannabis that is actually more healing is a totally different variety than what is commonly used to make you get high. There are about 600 different varieties of the cannabis plant, and the kind that has been grown for many years to make ropes (called Hemp) does not have any psychedelic effects at all. It does not have the THC that makes a person high; but it does have other chemicals in the makeup that are helpful for pain relief.
    Also, smoking cannabis is definitely not supposed to be the best way to utilize the healing properties, because the heat of burning it destroys most of the helpful parts of this plant.
    Therefore, if you want the healing effects from cannabis, you should choose a variety that is grown for that, and you should use the fresh green leaves, preferably raw. Drinking them in a green smoothie seems to be the best way, but I imagine that any way you ingested the leaves would help. This is completely different from someone smoking the flower bud of the plant, and especially one that is grown to produce psycheledic effects.

All that being said; this is probably not something that you want to carry along if you are running into the mountains somewhere to survive. However, as long as you are just living off-grid, I think that cannabis, grown for healing properties, would be a good idea on the homestead.
    I have no idea if law enforcement checks to see what strain of cannabis you are actually growing; but I do know that the hemp plant was grown extensively here in the United States , especially around the 2nd World War. The government actually encouraged farmers to put their fields into the hemp crop because they used it to make the huge ropes that were on Naval ships.
    If it were legal to grow pot for ones own use here in my state, I would experiment with growing some and use the leaves to see what they do as a healing plant.

Ystranc likes this.
  12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    I think Marijuana can help get your mind off the pain for a little while but it's definitely not a replacement for pain killers. When you're out there surviving you need to be alert at all times and have the your full mental capacity, a thing that is simply not possible while high. I suggest you pack yourself some pain killers in your goodie bag.

13. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    Well if your smoking weed it can be smelled for a long way off just like cigarettes you will be giving away your position and I will walk in and take your stuff

14. Vinaya

Vinaya Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I will never suggest anyone to use marijuana as a pain killer. If you begin to take marijuana as a pain killer, how would you stop yourself from getting addicted to marijuana.Like most of the pain killers like marijuana have sedative effects. Since a certified medical practioner will recommed you to take certain pain killers, you will be taking pain killer in the recommended dose. However, this is not the case with marijuana.

15. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I think that it's not that practical. Most people will smoke it and not make it into a tea. The lost thing that you want to be is disorientated in a survival situation. There are much better alternatives without the same side effects.

16. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Medicinal cannabis is very different to recreational cannabis, while I know nothing about the variety or production methods I'm quite sure it works better than paracetamol or aspirin type pain killers. It was prescribed for my mother in law while she was dieing of cancer. I assure you that she was far more lucid while on the cannabis then she had been while in pain or on opium based pain killers.

Tumbleweed likes this.
  17. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    There was a proposed law here filed by a congresswoman. Her son had cancer and she had witnessed the suffering before the son diedd. That her son's torment might have been eased by marijuana that's why she is pushing for the law on the legal use of medical marijuana. It is a good pain killer according to the congresswoman. And since it is herbal so there's no danger of overdose and also safe with the kidneys.

18. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    I doubt your gonna catch akute cancer out in the woods. And don't come with that "It's natural". So are magic mushrooms and opium and god knows. Can't overdose on herbals? Try opium. Or mushrooms. That's horse crap.

I am not opposed to drugs in any way. I've tried most of what are called recreational drugs, and I don't think it's done me much harm. While it migh not be a popular opinion in my field as a professional wilderness guide, I had alot of fun on drugs. Sorry mama.

But in a survival situation or in any situation at all where I need my head straight, no way. At a nice party on the beach with good friends and some nice BBQ, any day :D

19. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    in a post SHTF survival situation I wont be taking drugs-of any kind, drinking or smoking, I want to keep my head clear for whatever I have to do to stay alive, anything that dulls my senses or is a relaxant is a no no.
    as far as cancers are concerned although there are some that are hereditary, most are the result of poor diet and lifestyle choices.

20. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Marijuana is NOT addictive. That is one of the reasons that it is so opposed by the alcohol and other drug financed politicians. Sorry this is just a physical fact. The various uses of it medically are only now beginning to be looked into because politicians have and are being well paid to keep it illegal. The origins of its legal problems are simple. A rich meglomaniac didn't like the competition that he was getting from hemp farmers for newspaper paper. He owned forests and made paper from pulp wood. Hemp was cheaper but the paper was of a lower quality. This was fine for newspapers and low quality things like comic books and pulp fiction.

He paid several senators and congressmen to pass a law to out law the killer weed that is newspapers also were running wild untruthful stories about it in. When they wrote the law it was written to include all the members of the hemp familly of plants even those with little to no cannabinol the active part that gets you high. This was one of many things of this sort that William Randolph Hearst was known for. He also basically created the furor that caused the Spanish American war to increase newspaper sales. When the Battle ship Maine blew up in Havana harbor he declared it to be an attack by the Spaniards firing on it. There never was any evidence of this whatsoever and it was later proven that the explosion was from internal explosion most likely an accident in the powder room where the canon powder was stored.

Nearly everything that you hear about it is propoganda and false. Now the big thing is that it is a gateway drug. BULLPUCKY. The beginning drug is caffeine then nicotine and then BOOZE! By the time you get to marijuana you are already well acquainted with drug use.

Now, in a survival situation you want to use any drug that will make you better and avoid anything that makes you stupid. Caffeine helps you be more alert booze makes you stupid as does Marijuana. There are a lot of good and natural pain killers out there. Some have little potential for abuse and some are addictive and destructive. Of all the drugs that make you stupid cannabinol is probably the least damaging. Unlike addictive drugs you never develop a need for higher doses or develop a sort of immunity to it. Addiction is a PHYSICAL attachment to something. Getting high is habit forming and that is a mental attraction.

I have little use for things that make me stupid but have at times leaned on drugs for pain relief. My drug of choice is beer. At least I can get that anywhere. Even with that I am cautious. I don't take pain pills! The place where booze and Marijuana seem to have some worth is in the mental relaxation area. Some people seem to need the escape that drugs offer. For some the constant stress and tension of war, battle or just about anything seems to create the need for escape. Allowing them to do this or NOT is the source of endless misery in this world. Personally if you need it...I'm for letting you have it. Trying to "protect" you from it by making it illegal doesn't seem to work very well and just makes for a huge criminal money source and a huge financial drain on society fighting it and locking users up.

21. Juanert

Juanert New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    I am suffering from severe back pain, it happens when I do my laundry last Monday. I hand wash our clothes that's why I sit for almost 2 hrs when I'm about to take a rest I feel my back is aching. My son told me to put ointment in my back so it will ease my pain. It really helps but after how many hours it came back. And I heard that CBD can help to cure my back pain https://www.worldwide-marijuana-seeds.com/blogs/marijuana-news/cannabis-as-medicine but i am not sure if this thing works. I am suffering this for almost 3 days now and i can't take it any longer. Does anyone try it? Need some advice here.

22. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    There seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding about the difference between medical and recreational cannabis. There are several different compounds in raw cannabis. Some get you high. Some block pain. Some prevent seizures, it can help some types of arthritis etc.
    The problem stems from missuse of the raw plant, resin or bud and our perception of druggies and criminal suppliers being at odds with the results of medical research and the law needing more time to catch up.
    Many medicinal forms of cannabis won't even give you a high as some psychoactive compounds are absent

23. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the only thing cannabis did was put me to sleep!!:D

Ystranc likes this.
  24. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    I don't do drugs, I like to be in complete control of myself as much as possible. I'm not drinking at the moment either.

25. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I haven't done drugs for over 20 years-not that I did much anyway, a bit of "wacky baccy" was my limit.
    I gave up smoking in 1995 and drinking in 2000.

Ystranc likes this.
  26. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    My back is a mess. I've broken it in crashes plus worn it out w/use.

This is important: You need a back brace -- preferably one actually molded to your back.

I can't write right now, off to meet responsibilities and such.

Will write again, old man's memory permitting. Doing laundry is a great time to hurt your back -- you lift then turn. When turning, do not turn your spine; turn using your feet and legs. When lifting, the spine MUST be kept in its natural upright position. Lift & twist = damage to spine.

27. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    when suffering from back pain I've found a good quality leather belt helps with support.

28. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
  29. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Weed is good for pain and a lot of things. I've known people with cancer that were dying from the effects of Chemotherapy that Marijuana turned around and saved. A friend went from 220 to 145 pounds. He was sick all the time and couldn't keep anything down and then they put him on pot and he bounced back to about 190 and beat it.

I lived with sciatica for several years and the pain was massive. I smoked some pot and honestly it didn't do much for me. I refused to become a prescription painkiller junkie and in the end found that beer worked better than vicodin for me. If I was going to be addicted to something at least my drug of choice can be bought at any convenience store.

All the doctors wanted to do back surgery and give me pills. I refused and in the end I was right. It wasn't my back it was a bad hip and when it was replaced the pain disappeared and never came back. I don't drink much now but do smoke the occasional joint. Legalities have never meant as much to me as morals.

Ystranc likes this.
  30. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    Yup, cannabis derived painkiller was prescribed for my mother in law...she would never have smoked weed but as a prescription pain killer during the late stages of cancer it was a great help. It was only after seeing this that my attitudes to cannabis changed and I actually took a little time to check the facts. The down side is that it can cripple the emotional development of young people who start using it recreationally (it blocks the production of dopamine in the proper quantities) but it can also help to mitigate the symptoms of some very unpleasant illnesses.
    As with nearly everything it's about moderation, self control and respect for the consequences of your actions.

alexalex likes this.