My Essential Items.

Discussion in 'Essential Items' started by Keith H., May 25, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    These are the items that are most essential to me. There are other items that are associated with these, but these are the main ones I would never be without.
    The knife, the axe, & the gun, plus flint. steel & tinderbox.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    The rifle is neat for game hunting and a good sharp knife, do you use a whetstone?. Taking a closer look to the tinderbox, is that charred wood perhaps?. Also, which ammunition use that primitive gun?

Keith H. likes this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I use a carborundum stone to sharpen my knives, I can purchase a round one in a budget hardware shop here in the UK for around £1, its large enough to break into at least 2 pieces-sometimes more- by giving it a tap with a hammer.
    these stones work fine and give a sharp edge in a relatively short time.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I used to sharpen knives for a living and wore out many stones
    until I discovered a quick easy way!
    I used to carefully use a belt sander with a fine grit belt to re-profile the blades to a much finer edge being careful not to cook the blade!
    then I would just use a cheap tungsten V shaped pull through sharpener!
    One personal knife I reprofiled back in 1988 has with daily abuse only been run through the tungsten sharpener since then and after just a few swipes is like razor sharp again!
    And it takes but seconds to sharpen!
    Sharpening purists shudder when I tell them but it works just fine!

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've used a few of these pull through sharpeners but TBH they were all rubbish.
    the stone I use now suits me.

6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    1) Yes Endure, I use & carry a whetstone.
    2) I use plant tinders in my tinderbox. What you are looking at in this image is some pieces of charred Ryvardenia Cretacea, a Polypore Bracket Fungus & some Punkwood. Punkwood is wood with dry rot.
    3) This flintlock fusil is a .62 caliber/20 gauge smoothbore, so it can use bird shot, swan shot (Buckshot), & round ball, or any combination of two of these at the same time, e.g. "Buck & Ball". It can also shoot anything that will not damage the bore, e.g. acorns, nuts, seeds, harder projectiles wrapped in leather.
    Gunpowder or Black Powder obviously weighs less by volume than lead, so you can carry a lot of gunpowder. Spent lead is extracted from shot game, re-moulded & re-used.
    There is more information on flint & steel fire lighting & the use of a muzzle-loading gun on this forum.

[​IMG]
    This is my little .32 caliber flintlock rifle with double set triggers. Very economical to use. It was made for me for my sons to learn on when they were very young. More powerful than a rimfire .22 & less expensive to use.
    Keith.