My Sword.

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by Keith H., May 25, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    This is an 18th century design, made for me as a hunting sword with a shorter cutlass length blade. If you can fight properly with a tomahawk, then you can use one of these. If you can't, learn, they are a good weapon to carry for hand to hand fighting.
    Also good for cutting reeds for bedding & shelter construction.
    HQw-MDv713myXPvKs5pysjmhyT7WTQiE.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    Grumpy Max likes this.
  2. Vash

Vash Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Swords are definitely one of the best hand to hand combat weapons. They also need less maintenance compare to firearms, and there is no need for ammunition. I'd definitely want one of the long lasting melee weapons as a backup weapon. The only problem is, if your enemy has ranged weapon, you are screwed. :p It doesn't even have to be a firearm. If they have any kind of projectile weapons such as a bow, or even more primitive throwing weapons, you might as well need a shield to pair up with your sword... haha. Sorry, I just can't help it. Never bring a knife (sword) to a gun fight. :D It is still good to have one around, especially after a very long time post apocalypse when modern weapons are getting more rare due to lack of proper maintenance and ammunition.

May I add that I also think spear makes great a weapon by the time we all have to "go primitive". It has longer reach than a sword in melee, and it can be thrown easily as a projectile. Great for both hunting and self-defense.

Keith H. likes this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I bought a sword a couple of years ago, cost me £4 on a market stall, nothing wonderful but it'll do some damage if necessary.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    A fine blade, broad and sturdy enough to not get worn out easily by use. I know how to properly handle a machete and I think some swinging principles can be applied when wielding a sword: In order to strike hard, The strength of the hacking should come from the shoulder and part of torso, not entirely from the arm. Because like that you are putting more muscle into the action.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Vash

Vash Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Actually even the finest blade require some maintenance once in a while if you use it a lot (hacking, stabbing, etc. lol). Likewise, it does not need any maintenance if you do not use it at all. For average cheap blades, I'd think they require a lot higher maintenance in order to not become rusting on their own.
    It is just that they still require a lot less maintenance than firearms and require no ammunition in order to stay as an effective weapon. That makes the melee weapons great in a long lasting apocalyptic.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    A sword, a shield and a spear
    Worked well for several thousand years.
    and can take care of some stuff saving bullets.

Though very few alive can wield one skilfully or for long, very exhausting to use them and you need to get up close and personal to use it.
    Very few people can run a person through in reality.

A girlfriends brother was a "Big White Hunter" shot all sorts of animals and ate them
    but
    He bought a live goat to roast over an open fire for his wedding reception.
    A few days prior to the wedding he was supposed to kill it! but as it was in the backyard in suburbia he could not shoot it
    he needed to slit its throat and bleed it out.
    Two hours later the goat was still intact, he could not do it.

I had to do it for him on condition he watched. Never seen anyone go so pale before! he nearly passed out!

Shooting something is easy compared to jetting up close and sticking it with a blade!
    I have no problems in that regard but many do.
    If you are going to rely on blades you might want to get used to it first!:)

Keith H. likes this.
  7. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    I have a short ninja sword ive worked it over abit and have a dagger point on the end now. For a sheild id love to have a kevlar one used by police no luck getting one yet

Keith H. likes this.
  8. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Shield 500mm wide 600mm high 1.6mm stainless backed by plywood and a couple if straps to hold, small daggar top and bottom.
    A touch heavy but shotgun and most pistol proof plus rimfire rifle proof!

9. schiavonecalvin

schiavonecalvin New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Swords are one of the most basic of weapons but for some reason lack relevancy today. Do you think that the common use of the sword will be revived in the post apocalyptic era?

Keith H. likes this.
  10. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    Nice looking blade. One I like for both practical chores, but also could double as a weapon, is the Kukri. It takes a little getting used to, balance wise, but once you get the hang of it, it is quite easy handling. For those that are not familiar with the type, it is of Nepalese origin and has a large, curved blade.

Keith H. likes this.
  11. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    [QUOTE="Shooting something is easy compared to jetting up close and sticking it with a blade!
    I have no problems in that regard but many do.
    If you are going to rely on blades you might want to get used to it first!:)[/QUOTE]

A friend of mine who was a former criminal always told me to be weary of a man that has stabbed someone or especially multiple someones over a person that has used a gun as a weapon. He always claimed that stabbing someone is obviously much more personal, brutal, and hard to do for anyone that isn't crazy or actually about to lose their life and has no other choice. I know a lot of people that would likely not have the guts to stab someone even if it meant their own life, so I can see someone completely going chicken when it comes to killing something like a live goat.

Keith H. likes this.
  12. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    You have to learn to think out of the box Vash. Experience is a good teacher. Anything that can be wielded can be thrown. As a general rule one does not throw ones weapons unless it is necessary, but there are or can be times when you may wish to distract an enemy for long enough to gain cover or to escape. Throwing ones sword may even give you time enough to close on an assailant who has a gun or bow.
    Swords, knives & tomahawks usually are accompanied by other arms such as a bow or gun.
    Keith.
    "every soldier Shall be well provided with a well fixed gun or fuse, Sword or hatchet, Snapsack, Cartouche box, horn charger & flints".

New Hampshire Militia Laws, Oct. 7, 1692.

"one good Musket, Fuzee or other Firelock, well fixed, a Cutlass, Bayonet or Tomahawk, a Cartouche Box filled with 12 or more Cartridges of Powder, 12 or more sizeable Bullets and 3 Good Flints." 1757.

“I gave orders to them to go home and fetch their arms whether guns, swords, pitchforks, axes or whatsoever might be of use against the enemy and for three days provision in their knapsacks”

Letter to Gov. Morris, from Conrad Weiser, Esq. 10/27/1755

13. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think anything you can lay your hands on will be needed post TEOTWAWKI. But best to equip one's self beforehand. Modern breach-loading ammunition will be scarce after a while, then the 18th century tools & weapons will come into their own.
    Keith.

schiavonecalvin likes this.
  14. SurvivingPrepper

SurvivingPrepper New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Here is my sword!

swordLuttrell02.jpg

Sonofliberty and Keith H. like this.
  15. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Nice, I like the look of it. Was it made to be used? What sort of scabbard & carry system do you use SP?
    Keith.

16. SurvivingPrepper

SurvivingPrepper New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I bought it when I was 14. :)

Here is the story: http://iheartknives.com/my-first-sword-made-by-luttrell/

Sorry not trying to self promote.

It is made to be used. It came with a simple leather scabbard. I've only worn it to Renaissance Fairs.

Unfortunately I didn't know what to ask when I bought it. It was a beautiful blade that I had never seen its equal to at the time.

Keith H. likes this.
  17. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good one SP. Could come in handy one day!
    Keith.

18. dero56

dero56 New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I'd definitely think so, they can do so much more than combat and I'd like to at least have a machete around in a post apocalyptic era not only for defense but to use as a tool for gathering or building a shelter. If I can't get my hands on a sturdy sword or machete, a crowbar would be the next best tool/weapon I'd look for.

Keith H. likes this.
  19. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    " I'd definitely want one of the long lasting melee weapons as a backup weapon. The only problem is, if your enemy has ranged weapon, you are screwed".

Not necessarily Vash.
    f4454c3b236b1ce34a3e6fe07486f87d.jpeg
    f4454c3b236b1ce34a3e6fe07486f87d.jpeg
    Swords with attached pistols :)
    Keith.

20. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I am seriously thinking about getting a heavy Cold Steel cane sword. Since September first it is legal to carry a sword or just a big honking knife.

http://www.coldsteel.com/heavy-duty-sword-cane.html

It is made out of 1055 carbon steel and is heavy enough for serious hacking. I have a Katana in my truck but I could actually carry this cane. Swords are scary to people. They can easily envision the many really ugly things that could be done to their body with it and are probably more fearful of that than getting shot. About the only other thing with this sort of fear factor is a battle axe. I have one of those too. Weapons are like any tool and having the right one makes things easier. I have hammers from 12 pound sledge to a tiny one ounce jewelers hammer. I guess that in a bind that sledge would do anything but it for sure wouldn't be the best choice for hammering nails or shaping fine pieces on an anvil. I carry a gun but can envision times when a sword might be the better choice.

21. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    I have my staff nco sword was dull now sharp allso have gramps knuckle buster trench knife from ww1 and bayonets on a few weapons all have good edges on them

Keith H. likes this.
  22. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Cold Steel has a line of sword machetes that allows you to get a feel of the different shapes without breaking the bank. These things are serious tools and make clearing brush a lot more fun.

Keith H. likes this.
  23. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    toI have three tomahawks...I purchased from Cold Steel. I chose the tomahawks with the hammer on one end as I wanted also a working tool for out in the bush. I have sharpened them and also fabricated covers for the same. I keep them in two of my vehicles and one in my radio room.

http://www.coldsteel.com/products/axes-tomahawks/trail-hawk.html

I also have a cold seel Gladius/Machete attached to each BOB in my three vehicles. However the steel in them is what I consider marginal.

http://www.coldsteel.com/products/machetes/gladius-machete.html

The spear which interested me is the Assegai with the short shaft. I very much like this concept and have purchased one of them and worked on the edge.

http://www.coldsteel.com/products/spears/assegai-with-short-shaft.html

I also purchased one of these bushmen knives which can be adaped into a spear. I thought that concept to be useful.

http://www.coldsteel.com/products/knives/bushman.html?___SID=U

Now as far as swords....so many today seem fascinated by the Japanese variety of swords. For some reason those do not interest me.

I am interested in the English type swords and also he Viking style blades. I recently purchased an English style sword with a spring steel blade at a gun show to replace the stainless wall hanger I had mounted on my wall...sort of like a Norman Sword. I wanted something with better metal than the display one I previously had. Slowly working on the edge on that one in my spare time as well.

Almost bought a Viking sword at the last gun show but passed on it for the time being. Same thing ...spring steel blade.

I am well aware what it costs for very good steel in a sword blade. Even in a knfe....folder or fixed...good steel costs mucho monies.

The other blade I plan to obtain down the road with sheath is the M1907 RFI bayonet for my Ishapore Enfield .308 rifle. I don't like a bayonet on a rifle as it makes the Enfield barrel heavy...and it is so with any rifle.
    But I want to get this bayonet and scabbard to complete the historical character of this rifle as I have done with my 1903 Springfield and 7.7mm Japanese Arisaka rifles.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Keith H. likes this.
  24. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Having used a machete a lot in the tropics, I can see the advantages of this tool, but for non tropical areas I prefer a tomahawk over a machete. I have been carrying a tomahawk for over 30 years now & it has advantages over a machete for survival.
    Keith.

watcherchris likes this.
  25. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have a couple of swords but my true interest is machetes. They tend to be a little more user friendly for hacking on wood and vines. Nowadays Cold Steel makes machete versions of a lot of the more famous swords that are priced a lot lower than the swords. We aren't really tropical but we have thickets that are as bad as or worse than jungles. A thicket has vines and bushes woven tightly between the trees and everything has thorns!!

The one that I use the most isn't very big. It is based on a big bowie knife and has a blade about 14"/36cm long. It is made out of 1055 high carbon steel and is tough. It fits nicely on the side of my day pack. I usually carry it and a small poled tomahawk when rough camping. I also have a couple of big Kukris that are almost short swords. They are one of the most generally useful blades that I own and will chop, slice and dice real well.

While edged weapons aren't as deadly as guns for defence they are effective and it taken care of will still be around when ammo becomes almost too rare and precious to use for anything short of life and death emergencies. Where you like the primitive weapons of the 17th and 18th century I like the stuff that predate that. Bows arrows, spears, slings, atlatls, darts, Hawks, axes and swords have a dependability that can in a bind be made from scratch out of easily made parts. mostly found in a natural state or metal from wrecks and stuff.

Keith H. likes this.
  26. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A double sword would be handy. One could thrust forward or in reverse. One could use the weight of their body to spin, slashing all around. In a pinch, a makeshift double spear could be made without a whole lot of effort -- a shaft and two blades, plus a grip material to keep your hands from slipping when they get soaked in your enemy's blood. Knife fight, gotta have gloves from hell.
    upload_2018-1-18_21-25-39.png

A small baseball bat makes for a good club. Wrap the handle with your favorite gripping material. On the business end of the bat, use wood-screws to secure razor blades to the wood -- if a guy grabs the bat to keep his head from getting busted, he gets the tendons in his hands severed. Rip the bat back from your enemy (or thrust forward; whatever the death dance calls for) so as to truly tear the working parts of his hands apart. This will help speed things up when you are finishing up, beating him to death.

When a kid I was in a lot of nightspots where my dad had his gambling machines and pool tables. When a fight breaks out, guys break the pool cues and use the handles as bats. The lead slug in the lower cue sure can do some harm. So, when I made my own clubs, I'd cut a 21 or 22 ounce pool cue to length -- the bottom section, of course. I'd wrap the part of the cue with the lead slug with wire so that the wood wouldn't split on impact. I'd drill a hole at the grip location so that I could put a leather lanyard through it. The lanyard I'd wrap around my wrist so that the thing couldn't fly out of my grip.

Since a child, I've kept bayonets. What started that was my combat veteran uncle giving me his Camillus dagger and M1 Garand bayonet (when you pulled the blade out the scabbard, this thing really stank, I cleaned it and cleaned it and couldn't get the stink out of it). I was like age 12 and didn't know how to do this. He gave me a hog's head one time and told me to get its brains out; I didn't know what to do, so he yanks it away from me. I'd taken my hatchet to it, but he said that I should have known to cut its jaw off and go up through the roof of its mouth -- to this day, I don't know how to properly get a hog's brain out. Chopping doesn't work; leaves bone splinters.
    upload_2018-1-18_21-36-37.png

Keith H. likes this.
  27. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Kids for xmas got me a viking 511 tactical tomahawk multi usewith hammer pry bar axe head and a metal cutter I LOVE IT

28. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Do you see your tomahawk in the photos shown on this page?
    https://www.google.com/search?biw=1......0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..8.0.0....0.oh7H0fHtOfg

Gotta watch out about blades that stick out from the handle/shaft. The blade can get stuck in the enemy. You need to slam him doing a bunch of damage, but the weapon has to now be free for follow-up slams / slashes. Too there's the matter of balance -- you don't want your hatchet to wobble ... it will! It'll deflect off to the right, off to the left, whatever it wants to do. You don't want that. Bringing down some monster is too much work.

When you get old, just make up some home-made napalm in a big mug, toss on enemy, flick your Zippo.

29. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Old geezer you and i are going to be ok when shtf we think alot alike we are in the same hills your in dixie up up northbut we could set and enjoy a pint of shine only ive got 55gal drums of kitchen sink napalm i like a complete burn lol

30. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    Interresting stuff. Allways been more of an axe-man myself.

Keith H. likes this.
  31. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    You too! We have one called the "lawyer vine", once it gets hold of you it won't let go! I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, as Australia was once a part of America.
    From the 17th century to the 19th century military foot soldiers were equipped with Facsine knives for making facsines, & for defence. Some were the same as Bill hooks, others were short swords. That is in part why I like my sword, it is duel function.
    f672c74300397417fc68770e684cf4a0.jpeg Military Facsine Knife.
    Keith.

32. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Me too, anywhere I go my tomahawk/trade axe goes.
    Keith.

33. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Yes my axe tomahawk multi tool is the second photo as i have othe tools im wraping para cord on it for amore comfy grip but will allways still have them to use by just removeng it

34. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I like a tomahawk because it is a great multifunction tool just as it is. It chops like a hatchet, slide it off the handle and you can use it like a knife and if the edge is well rounded it is basically like an Alaskan Ulu and is great for food and meat preparation. Mine also has a pole on the back so it is a hammer too.

I really like the heavier all metal versions that you are talking about. They are the ultimate urban survival tools. I have a somewhat altered version that is called a Fubar that is a chopper, crowbar and pry bar combination. It is a little heavy but you can tear a door up with it or a wall if you want into someplace that is locked. That, a set of lock picks and a bolt cutter would be a great kit for urban scavenging after the fall. That makes it like having a master key to everything where you just say open sesame and you are in.

Keith H. likes this.
  35. Raymond Hines

Raymond Hines New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Looking for it

Keith H. likes this.
  36. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    LOL, who doesn't like 2-3 feet of sharpened steel?

Radar, Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  37. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I have a japanese arisaka bayonet that looks similar to the sword in the original post.

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  38. perkin steel

perkin steel Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    Sword as the name referred should be like this -

ae9818ce1dd1fc6a8d922225f50980d5.jpeg

I bought it from Perkin

39. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I picked up a sword at a car boot sale back along, but only because it was cheap! I prefer a machette or a bayonet for overall ease of use, I used both when I was self employed and "attacking" an overgrown plot.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  40. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    You got a link to that particular blade.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  41. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    I have a 1905 Springfield Armory bayonet that could almost pass as a short sword:
    It's about 20" overall. I bought it when I was about 15 years old.:
    8898b5a3f6061ebc498186e86deb389f.jpeg
    I also have a real US Naval Officer's sword someone gave me, but it's a little large for practical use:
    8898b5a3f6061ebc498186e86deb389f.jpeg

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  42. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    316d7e6d48c00b75f8917632d4cccaf3.jpeg
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  43. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    My other sword.
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  44. perkin steel

perkin steel Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    If any of you really want to have a sword, then you can look out from here at -

1b35db693531204126ca5a9fb59e1256.jpeg

Damascus Sword

TMT Tactical likes this.
  45. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Perhaps it would be better if you are going to advertise your products perkin, you do so in the "Marketplace" board.
    Keith.