Natural Childbirth When Shtf

Discussion in 'Ladies Section' started by hollowgirl, Jan 4, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. hollowgirl

hollowgirl Administrator Gold Supporter
      85/99

Blog Posts:
    Have you ladies given any thought to giving birth after SHTF? What if hospitals are not longer functioning? Are you prepared to have a natural birth? Do you know natural pain remedies? What are some dangers of natural birth? Any tips to help natural birth go smoothly?

Radar and sunnytn like this.
  2. keenonthedaywalker

keenonthedaywalker Active Member
      33/58

Blog Posts:
    Not many ladies here, are there?

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    there used to be quite a few, but then it is the easter holidays.

4. keenonthedaywalker

33/58

Blog Posts:
    Oooh now I see. Are there a lot here usually or not really?

5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    there are a lot of female members but the posting rate is very low, shame really, we need the female point of view.

Radar likes this.
  6. keenonthedaywalker

33/58

Blog Posts:
    Yeah otherwise it will only be a bunch of guys posting and that would be really weird.

Radar likes this.
  7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    not weird, just par for the course, most survival forums are mostly populated by males, I suppose its that sort of subject.

8. keenonthedaywalker

33/58

Blog Posts:
    Guess so. Alright gonna go look for other subjects man bye.

9. SouthernMama

SouthernMama Active Member
      33/58

Blog Posts:
    I gave birth twice naturally.
    Main thing to worry about is sanitation. Pain can be handled if the mother is prepared.
    Raspberry leaf tea has been used for years to help mothers thru childbirth. It doesn't help with pain but can help labor go by quicker.
    You can plant it or you can buy it . It is something that most don't think about having but is definitely useful.

Justin Baker likes this.
  10. Katie Ann

Katie Ann New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I haven't really given much thought to this, no. I guess the reason is that I'm very much into history and I know that going to a hospital to give birth in a nice little sterile package is relatively "new" when thinking of it in a historical sense. Our ancestors, and women across the globe always gave birth without a hospital or doctor. The pioneers.... well, many examples throughout history.

If it's something that worries you, I'd suggest reading up on how to keep everything as sterile and germ-free as possible. Might want to read a good book (and have a close friend or even your partner) about midwifery... but most of all, just be prepared, know what it would involve, and especially know how to handle any unexpected issues that may arise.

Radar likes this.
  11. Kanagirl

Kanagirl New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    Assuming there are no complications, there are a lot of little tricks that women can use to make it easier on them. A birthing chair, for example, isn't very popular anymore. Yet, when in a seated position gravity will help with the birth. Or, as mentioned before, giving birth in water. As for painkillers, there are more natural than pharmaceutical ones. You just have to know how and where to find them. The way I look at it is if women gave birth naturally, outside of a hospital, for millions of years, so can I. I may not prefer it, but I'm just as capable.

koolhandlinc likes this.
  12. Chiari

Chiari New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    More and more women are choosing to give birth at home and other women are receiving training as birth assistants and doulas (men can do it as well). If we are encouraged and continue to do so, we will be more prepared when the moment arrives.

Kanagirl likes this.
  13. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    Both myself and my younger sister were born at home and via the natural method. There was no attending doctor, though my mother's friend was a midwife and was with her during both births. Me and sis did just fine. And, I'd add, millions of our forefathers did so as well.

That said, if proper medical facilities are available, I think it is wise to go that route. My own children were born in the hospital. They had to arrive via cesarean section, so it pretty much had to be at said facility.

Kanagirl likes this.
  14. working3

working3 New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    C-Sections would worry me when SHTF. There would have to be some kind of makeshift, sterile place to perform the surgery. The sanitation factor is scary. Can a qualified doctor perform a c-section outside in a random place w/ no meds? Yes, but it would be excruciating pain for the mom and the fatality risk would skyrocket. I delivered natural, vaginally. It wasn't that bad but the doctor had to give me shots to slow my bleeding afterwards. It was a frightening thing and I cant imagine being told I am bleeding out and there are no meds to stop it because of a crisis. Childbearing is dangerous for the woman and child.

koolhandlinc and BethSztruhar like this.
  15. amelia88

amelia88 Well-Known Member
      75/99

Blog Posts:
    This is something that does get me thinking...I've birthed two children naturally myself and thankfully there were no complications and everything was smooth during the process. But I guess the part that worries me is what if there are complications? A baby can be breech and cause problems, or there can be issues like shoulder dystocia (hopefully I spelled that right...) where the shoulders get wedged/stuck in the birth canal.

My second child was 8lb 12 oz and much much harder to push out than my 7lb 2 oz first child...so I can't even imagine how someone would push out a 9, 10 lb baby! Props to those mamas out there.

16. Jewelweed

Jewelweed Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    My daughter was a natural birth in a birth center with a midwife. I knew that the midwife had delivered lots of babies and the hospital was right across the parking lot if there were complications. I think I'd be pretty scared without that option.

I think in the absence of functional hospitals, experienced birth attendants would be important. In a SHTF situation that is pretty much every family for themselves, this would mean that the fathers or potential fathers should be adding midwife or doula training to their list of things to learn. I don't think the pain of a natural birth is something to worry about too much. There are techniques to help deal with it - breathing, water birth, moving, etc. I think it's more important to learn things like what pain signals something is really wrong. There are also techniques to help turn a baby or deliver a baby breech, though infant mortality is a little higher that way.

Also, there's a lot of emphasis on catching the baby and tending the baby but it is also vitally important to make sure that the entire placenta is delivered. Massage on the abdomen on top of the uterus will help encourage it to contract. Oxytocin injection or iv is commonly used for post-partum hemorrhage in the hospital but it needs to be refrigerated so it's not a good option in a SHTF scenario. Misoprostol isn't as effective but it comes in pill form that can be given orally or rectally and it's better than nothing. If there are women of child-bearing age in the group you're planning for, it might be good to keep some on hand. Excessive bleeding post birth was a major cause of maternal deaths.

Sterility is important; maternal mortality has dropped way down since we learned to sterilize things touching the mother where it could cause pelvic inflammation. Also, basic medical first aid skills like clean stitches if there is tearing and infant CPR will be important. I think primitive c-sections should be viewed as a last resort, only if it's clear that mother and/or baby will die without one or if a full-term pregnant woman has died and you can get the baby out fast enough for baby to survive. Primitive c-section attempts had very poor survival rates for the mother and mixed success for the infant. In a SHTF scenario, I can't imagine that finding a wet nurse will be easy.

17. MountainCutie

MountainCutie New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Okay so follow any ideas here at your own caution- ie no suing. If you use these ideas you've accepted personal responsibility. I am no doctor.

I've had two babies (I was married)- and like grandma says each time gets easier because the muscles get more elastic and your body understands the process. I'm really short, so epidurals didn't work for me. That said, maybe the next part of this is bias, but I'd rather have a medicine man than a doctor any day of the week during labor. Why? Well... let me explain:

I had back labor- yes, it is horribly painful but I managed- and my nurse and MD complained about the lady next door screaming. Compassion, I tell you it is getting to be a lost art. My membranes were stripped a few days before I went in labor- horribly painful. A few days later I was put on Pitocin to stimulate contractions. Three days later I finally dialated. The doctor then went to lunch. Not even kidding. I wish I could say the staff did a better job the second time around but they actually managed to do worse. I however did better.

Let's contrast this to Native American medicine. Blue Cohosh could have gently induced labor without adding to my sensitivity to pain. It would have made my labor go faster, but not forced it unnaturally like Pitocin which adds to the pain of childbirth. Thus less time and less pain in the long run and I wouldn't have had to have my membranes stripped- way, way less pain there too. I would have been squatting not laying on my back- which is universally the worst position to give birth in because gravity is literally working against you. And I would have been able to eat during that time which means I would have had a lot more energy to push. (You read that right, the hospital didn't let me eat for close to a week.) I also probably wouldn't have been nauseous. If so then peppermint tea would have been used or some broth, both much more effective than the nothing I got for nausea.

Childbirth sucks. There's no way around it. But it shouldn't have to be traumatic.

I tend to be a fairly well composed individual but if my momma hadn't raised a lady I would have lost my temper and kicked everyone out of the room. Frankly if a woman is screaming then I tend to think it's because Childbirth sucks and she deserves to scream. Instead I was polite and butter couldn't melt in my mouth.

I am now firmly against being polite during childbirth though. I don't recommend smiling and grinning half heartedly, it just leaves the staff with the impression that they know what they are doing. When often times, what your body is telling you is best.

Frankly I'd rather have my herbalist and some alone time for labor, massive emp or no emp. And heaven forbid the man want to be in the room... "I love you honey but don't let the door hit you on the way out." Should be within every woman's right to say. It's just too stressful of a situation to be adding an additional embarrassment factor into it.

That said, if you want a hospital then go for it, especially if a doctor advises it for a legitimate reason. If it makes you feel better, it's done it's job and it's worth every dollar. I know some women can't give birth naturally and for them a hospital is the way to go.

It's all about what your body is telling you to do, that's why child birth decisions should be yours to make because ultimately your body is making the decision and not you. And only you can tell anyone what your body is saying. Also you will be the one pay the price in pain if you don't listen.

For me walking around was important but I didn't listen to my body, I listened to the nurse who complained when I got out of bed because it meant she was suppose to walk next to me. I paid the price for that. My labor could have been quicker and easier, it generally is quicker and easier when you listen to your body. I listened more to my body the second time around but not as much as I could have, the second time around was me checking to see if my body knew what it was talking about and it did. It was also fighting all those ingrained manners. Childbirth is the ultimate time it is okay for you to insist your needs be put first. That isn't easy for everyone but it is important.

So in closing I'd say don't be afraid to try natural stuff- sometimes it is more effective. Everyone's body chemistry is different and unique. What works for you might not work for others and vice versa- but ultimately listen to your body and your mind. Whatever makes you the most comfortable will help the process. If that means a hospital or your guy in the room, go for it. If that means a midwife and the guy out of the room go for it. In the SHTF world you probably won't have those options buts knowing what you need now by having a birth experience already is a great boon. Also listen to your OB-GYN, they won't end up being the one there when you give birth, unless you're insanely lucky- but they know about your who ha and your pregnancies so they give good advice. My OB-GYN was way better than the doctor I ended up having and I'd still hold to some of the things she's told me.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  18. BethSztruhar

BethSztruhar Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I can't say that I'm prepared because no matter what we think, we could have problems during pregnancy. I'd totally freak out without a Hospital or Doctors. Especially because my best friend just gave birth to her child and she had serious issues, they had to perform a C-section and baby is only 6 months old. They will survive, but without a Hospital and prepared Doctors, they would be both dead. I know this sounds horrible, but unfortunately this is the truth. So no, I am not prepared.

19. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Since I am well past the age of giving birth, I would not be bothered by such things. I think that a natural child birth could be accomplished by reading up on such things, but it is likely not an easy road to hoe. However, having been "drugged up" in a hospital, it may have impacted on my awareness and bonding with my new infant.

20. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    I highly doubt there will be any shortage of midwives, herbalists, or even health care professionals in case of an emergency. There are a lot of them in the populace, and chances are you are close to two or three in the neighborhood. There are natural remedies like guava leaves that can be used as an antiseptic for the wound; anybody with some form of health education can know how to sterilize an area, or at least make it clean enough to perform a birth delivery. Also, in emergencies, humans have always prioritized the newborns and their mothers when evacuating. It's like a human instinct of preserving the line of survival for future generations.

21. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    there will be a shortage of every kind of health care professionals post shtf, they are just as mortal as the rest of us.

Radar likes this.
  22. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I think natural birth is only remained in old movies lol I'm kidding women still give birth naturally without any doctor's intervention from first month to the ninth, however giving birth naturally is safe when it goes well as expected because after all what really matters is that we get the baby out of the womb right? but sometimes it can turn into a risky event when you are not lucky enough just same way it may turn into risky event with Doctors if you ignored Doctor's recommendations but here the big difference is that you are with someone who can save your life.

Bishop likes this.
  23. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    What if hospitals are not longer functioning?
    I would say this is highly unlikely. It's more of a scenario where the birth mother is either very far away from a functioning hospital or she's not able to get to one quickly.
    Are you prepared to have a natural birth?
    I have heard a lot about natural birth and would be open to the possibility.
    Do you know natural pain remedies? Back rubs. But it is also advised that you have an experienced mid-wife on hand to assist with the birth.
    What are some dangers of natural birth?
    The biggest would have to be sanitation. Then birth complications like blood loss or breech birth.
    Any tips to help natural birth go smoothly?
    Have an experienced midwife on hand.

24. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Giving birth naturally is a painful ordeal. No natural pain reliever would be available that can help for the pain. The only thing that they can do is to man up and face the pain head on. To avoid complications, pregnant woman must follow strict compliance with pregnancy.

Women of the world... I salute you all. I have my share of delivering babies naturally and boy... How can you endure such pain?! Women are not weak... They're just emotional... Hehehehe

25. Tina Thompson

Tina Thompson New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:

26. Tina Thompson

Tina Thompson New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Most women know when they're fixing to give birth, if possible, try to have clean water and a way to build a fire for sterilization, sharp knife (sterilize), and clean cloths. Do the best you can with what you have but everything must be clean and sterile. This is one situation where preparedness would really come in handy. Most importantly prepare your mind, and try to stay calm. Women have been giving natural childbirth forever, our bodies are made for just that. Thank God momma has milk (unless there's a problem). As for pain, I don't know, find something to bite down on. I'm glad I'm past the child birthing age.

27. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    I was there for the birth of all 4 of my kids. My wife is a trooper. No pain meds administered for any one of them. It's a humbling experience.
    Childbirth is a potentially dangerous proposition. Always has been & always will be. Its been happening for a long long time naturally.
    As with all knowledge needed for TEOTWAWKI, we all should educate ourselves to the best of our ability in all possible aspects of medicine. The most modern techniques that can be performed without the benefit of a hospital.

28. Ecologically Impared

Ecologically Impared New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    I have already given birth at home, zero medication. It isn't difficult, as long as you have a great support group. Get yourself a big ass tub of water and a boyfriend or husband willing to break their arm with the amount of pressure they need to put on the base of your spine. Never try and give birth on your back... It's literally the worst way to do it and hospital doctors only make you do it this way so they can see everything better. That is enough pain management. I would say stock up on local anesthetic for if you have to be stitched up though. Stitches jn your vagina are literally the worst pain ever. Do your best to have a doctor, midwife, or vetrenarian in your group so someone with real experience will be putting you back together after the fact though-sewing flesh together is way different than fabric. Always have a warm place for the mother and baby, somewhere predators can't get at them, and at least 2 other people around to do everything for you for at least 2 weeks afterwards. Anyone who isn't physically capable of delivering naturally will probably die though, and many babies will too due to lack of vitamine K shots. Note I'm not a doctor though, I just learned a lot when going through midwives to have my baby. Best lesson being that we are literally made for the purpose of giving birth so our bodies can handle it! That said, it takes a full year to completely heal from childbirth, so you should have a way of preventing pregnancy at least until your child turns a year old if you don't want your body to fail you.

29. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      245/345

Blog Posts:
    I was present for both my children birth. My wife has a small canal. She doesn't speak English well and asked me to be present for exams and all before birth. The first time she was exam ed the doctor looked at me real sharp and said good lord. Then she said she's small and will likely need c section. Sadly she would likely have A LOT OR TROUBLE with natural childbirth.

That's a tough pill to swallow. Thinking that so many women and their babies can die during birth. Its the way of nature but still.
    Was your bleeding out a clotting issue? I wonder if a mid wife 200 years ago who was experienced would have tricks to deal with this? I mean seriously. I always wonder about women giving birth in traffic and stuff. If this was happening. Should a person there attempt to treat the situation like an other injury? Attempt to put pressure or pack it with clean clothing or if life depended on it anything to stop the bleeding? I mean relating current stuff to a post shtf. In post shtf treat as an injury and attempt to stop or slow the bleeding.

30. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Child birth is one of those "Ready or not here it comes!" sort of things. Birth control and adequate pre and postnatal medical care for delivery and the infant changed the world in ways that people now don't understand. Before modern medical practices infant mortality and death of women from delivery and infections after delivery were the reason the life expectancy of people back then was UNDER 40. Women now have a longer life expectancy than men mostly because of birth control and better understanding about how important cleanliness is for doctors that are delivering babies. Women used to get and die from childbed fever . This was a bacterial infection that women got during childbirth from doctors not understanding that they needed to wash their hands between treating patients!!! Before antibiotics any infection could end up killing you.

Even today, honestly, hospitals are dangerous places where you can go in for something minor and end up dying from an infection you got there. In the early days you were a lot better off delivering at home and midwives were actually better than doctors for deliveries. Without birth control, chastity for lots of women was in part a matter of survival.

My wife and I did lamaz and intended to do natural childbirth. If we had not been in a hospital our daughter would have been stilborn and my wife might have died. The C section saved both of them. Some women had a hard time but in the past this was sort of self correcting because it killed them and they didn't have any more kids. Others like my Great Grandmother could be in the field working, have a baby at the end of a row and then finish the day out in the field. She had 17 babies and all lived to be at least in their teens. Over time women got better at having babies. After several decades of C sections becoming almost as common as real deliveries 3it is going to be really bad for a couple generations. Women nowadays just don't have kids like they did even when I was young. 4 to 6 kids was pretty much the norm in most families back then.

PS: added later... Condoms!! Lots of them and yes, you CAN wash and reuse them!!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  31. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      245/345

Blog Posts:
    I want to know as much as I can just in case I need to help some day. God bless women for the burden that they bear.

Radar likes this.
  32. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The more professional those in attendance, the higher likelihood of a surviving baby and a surviving mom. There is a litany of conditions to be prepared to deal with.

Once upon a time, getting a woman's pelvic measurements was paramount. The pelvic channel must be adequate to the task. In a non-hospital setting, no C-section, one must have an adequate pathway as to widths even for a forceps delivery.

Shoulder dystocia; do you know McRoberts maneuver & how to apply suprapubic pressure?! How you gonna get that baby's shoulder down and unstuck off momma's pubic bone? And you have to do that without damaging the baby's brachial plexus!

"Baby's turtling!"

Postpartum hemorrhage / uterine atony; are you good at massaging a uterus?! Can you ram your fist up into another human being to staunch a gusher of blood. You'd better be ready to do some seriously messed-up stuff.

Nuchal cord; do you know how to get that umbilical cord unwrapped from around baby's neck?!

Even in our modern age, even with the cornucopia of drugs we have, fetal monitors, ..., the person helping with a delivery, MUST know all of the procedures that the midwives of old used every week of their lives to spare lives.

An ultrasound may well tell you what horror lies in the offing, however it may just be you who has to undo the terror with your own two strong hands.

GateCrasher likes this.
  33. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    its not just giving birth you want to worry about, populations rose and fell in the past depending on the food supply. have a good harvest and the population would rise, have a crop failure and the population numbers would fall again.

34. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Kids have been born since man and women have been here. We use to joke in nam that the women wold squat on rice paddey dike give birth put kid on her back and go back to work two days later the kid was still on her back but planting behind the mother as she worked

35. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Hopefully, the midwives who are assisting with births in the home will have necessary knowledge and herbs at hand to assist with bleeders and other emergencies. Childbirth at home is not for sissies. Remember, some natives would go off alone to birth.
    In a post SHTF world, a midwife will be very valuable. Hopefully, most moms will be in good enough condition to deliver baby with not much problem.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  36. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    errr….what midwives?

TMT Tactical and Radar like this.
  37. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    It is terrifying to me. Yes, I know it is a natural process that has been going on for millennia. It all sounds wonderful as long as everything goes right. When things go wrong they can go very, very wrong very, very quickly.

Having a daughter that is pregnant I will just be praying that nothing happens between now and due date.

38. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Thank God I got a vasectomy LOL. That is something I do not want to deal with even though it is part of my EMT curriculum.

39. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    as someone who never wanted kids and never had kids, i'm glad its something I wont have to deal with post SHTF.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  40. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    One of the most impressive posts I've read here at MSF.com is Katie Ann's 23 May 17 reply to hollowgirl. Birth at hospitals is indeed "relatively new".

I read that the late Princess Dianna gave birth using a birthing chair.

I do much private sector volunteer work with physicians and dentists in rural field settings. Frequently enough field hospitals are cleaner and more sanitary than the pre-established / permanent facilities. Where I write from, this statement is correct and up to date. Three years ago we tested drone resupply of RX pharma at a makeshift clinic in Appalachia Virginia. Even with no drone use, the logistics channel , protocol and procedures were established and tested. A mule or human can deliver pharma also.

***"Most importantly: prepare your mind."*** An important quote for top of list.

I'm not authorized to do any pure public sector responder work with winds 40 mph +. I make a single personal exception and go on my own to assist in child birth. My assistance is not the medical category but rather the gopher operations in support of the medic folks.

Cross train, cross train, cross train !

TMT Tactical, Morgan101 and Radar like this.
  41. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    One of my kids was a home birth. It was a lot easier at home; except for that one birth where I had the kid within 20 minutes of arriving at the hospital. That was fun.
    What are you going to do if you are asked to help with the birthing of a human? Are you going to say no, sorry? I doubt it. It doesn't even have to be a post SHTF world. It could be today.
    The body does what it has to do. A woman could be unconscious and still birth a baby successfully. Getting worked up about stuck babies, breach babies, etc isn't the first worry. Those are not the norm. Excessive bleeding is not the norm either. Be prepared for it. Get a birthing kit. I've often considered having supplies for babies and tots even though I'm not in that world anymore.

Has anyone seen the movie, A Quiet Place? SHTF movie.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.