Natural Shelter Selection

Discussion in 'Natural, Temporary, and Permanent Shelter' started by Aneye4theshot, Jan 21, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Aneye4theshot

Aneye4theshot Expert Member
      125/140

Blog Posts:
    When it comes to finding natural shelters, there are a lot of options available for you. The best way to find a good natural shelter is to be diligent and keep a good visual outlook on your surrounding area. Dense foliage and tree coverage will often make for good temporary shelter. Rock cliffs also are another good form of shelter in the wild. Natural shelters come in many different forms from caves and indentations in the earth to fallen trees. When picking a good natural shelter, it is important to be safe.
    upload_2016-1-21_1-56-25.png
    If you are by a cliff make sure that you are out of the way of potential falling rocks and that the overhang you seek shelter under is not in danger of collapsing. Remember caves attract wild animals and areas that you set up in near mountainous regions may be prone to spur of the moment flash flooding. By finding shelter on a slight hill slope, you can avoid having water buildup during rain. Also finding hollowed out trees and caves will work for helping to block out elements such as the wind. Finding a natural structure may not always be easy but with a little improvising, it can be done just about anywhere.

2. Vash

Vash Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Back in the cavemen age, most humans in the northern areas used to live in caves. It was the best place to stay as it can protect you from elements and certain danger. But of course they were in groups, and always had someone on guard as well as having a fire set up. If the ancient cavemen could do it, we should be able to do it too. With advanced knowledge (although without their experience), I believe we can do better after some time. Caves are actually quite common in some mountain areas. With the right tools you can even create one.

Good advice on choosing sloped hill, but with the right tools we can also make it a slope outside the cave to protect it from possible flood etc.

As the matter of fact, there are still a lot of people in some poor areas living in caves, but with furniture lol.

Fallen tree in my opinion can only be temporarily shelter at best. Unless it is a huge tree and it is not rotting, you might even face the danger of it falls again... on you. It is also not safe enough in my opinion... from other people or animals. Stay a night or two, or even a few more days might be a solution, but I'd try to find somewhere better the very next day. :)

3. Correy

Correy Expert Member
      141/149

Blog Posts:
    Caves and indentations are a very good shelter and aside from us, many bears and mountain lions might agree. It's very likely that one will encounter other animals in these caves that also sought shelter. If it's a female with cubs inside, prepare to confront some difficult situations. Any animal with cubs that sees you approaching its den won't make a move at first, not until it's too late, to avoid giving out their spot.
    So always approach with caution.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    The cave is the first thing that comes to mind when speaking of natural shelter. Even in the early days of mankind, the cave is already the established shelter as emphasized by the cartoon Flintstones. But as I had posted in another thread, caves have inherent dangers like harmful animals. That's why the advice I remember during our grade school days was to just stay in the mouth of the cave. The inner portion of the cave, particularly when the natural light couldn't reach that portion, is dangerous not only with the wild creatures but also with the lack of air.

But in fairness to caves, there is that new word called spelunking which means an activity to explore caves. My last cave experience was last year when we went to Batanes province at the northern tip of the Philippines. It was actually a tunnel built by the Japanese soldiers in the second world war. The tunnel has 3 connecting links but we only traversed one line of about 100 meters - entering the south side and coming out on the other end. It was a clean cave with guiding light but there are bats, huh.

5. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I don't really trust natural shelters in the deep wild because they are likely to be occupied. If not by dangerous animals, you will likely disrupt the lifestyle of an innocuous beast which uses it as a hamlet to rest its bones away from predators. I think looking for sheltered areas with dense vegetation on a low canopy should suffice. You only have dig a hole in the ground and cover the top of the canopy with a nylon sheet or other covering.

6. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    I'm always in favor of a cave dwelling. Natural and time tested. Sure in the wild it might be occupied. But all you have to do is set a big fire in it and smoke out whatever critter there is in there. It is survival of the fittest. People are scared of spiders and bats. Just smoke them out with a big fire deep in the heart of the cave and evacuate the current occupants. If they don't leave the die. Simple as that.

Ir64MtSuXSzq7pa1WDGeMQlS9579mr6i.jpeg