Nettles Anyone?

Discussion in 'Edible Plants, Berries, and Roots' started by jeager, May 10, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    Run bare skin into it once and you will easily recognize if for the rest of your life.

It hurts. I grew up along a marshy river bottom where nettles were prolific and common.
    And good to eat if one knows how to prepare them.

Stinging nettle is a large, rhizomatous perennial wild edible plant that can grow quite tall.

" however it is a vitamin-rich food source as well as a remedy for various medical conditions. Stinging nettle has been used for hundreds of years to treat painful muscles and joints, eczema, arthritis, gout, and anemia. "

Google it and print info just in case you encounter it when a bit hungry.
    I've eaten lots of common "weeds" when a kid growing up quite economically challenged. (poor)
    http://www.ediblewildfood.com/stinging-nettle.aspx

I pity the "gimmie" people that get free food, housing, clothes, if the shtf.
    Well I don't really feel at bit sorry for 'em.:)

Radar likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    plenty of nettles in the British countryside.
    if you wilt them over a camp fire for a couple of minutes it takes out the sting then you can eat them without any side effects.

Radar and jeager like this.
  3. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    THe only nettles I know are pine needles. I don't think that is what you are talking about. I think I will have to do an internet search as to what nettles really are! I have heard of them being used as a poultice and in tea. It might be something quite useful.

4. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    I've made tea from pine needles.
    It was awful.
    Rose hip tea is drinkable and a good source of vitamin C.

http://www.canstockphoto.com/nettle-16006379.html

Nettle pictures^^^^.

Be careful when picking them. They are called stinging nettles for a reason.
    The species is divided into sixsubspecies, five of which have many hollow stinging hairs called trichomes on the leaves and stems, which act like hypodermic needles, injecting histamine and other chemicals that produce a stinging sensation when contacted by humans and other animals.

Radar likes this.
  5. texsun54

texsun54 Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Down south a lot of people my parents included grew up eating Poke Weed, also known as Poke Salad. It grows wild and is plentiful but has to be prepared carefully because it is poisonous. The leaves tastes pretty much like cooked spinach, and stems similar to asparagus. You have to boil it at least twice, preferably three times and using fresh water with each boil, and then it is edible.

6. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    I've done that also but years ago.
    I changed water 3 times.

7. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    Stinging nettles are plentiful in my area and are consumed alongside other dishes. I have consumed it go powder form with mashed food and they add a tantalizing texture to the food in addition to supplying valuable micronutrients. Once I tried consuming the say vegetable and I was not exactly enamoured by the sweet taste.

8. ToTang45

ToTang45 Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    It's actually quite a trendy thing to be eating these days. In my line of work, I supply some of the best, most expensive restaurants in Melbourne and so many are ordering these among other weeds.

I don't know if I'd been keen. I know that cooking tames the stinging aspect to it...But even so, I'm weary.