New Tick Disease Alert!

Discussion in 'First Aid and Medicine' started by jeager, Jun 6, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/...-15-minutes-after-bite-reported-in-maine.html

Powassan virus. A virus is much harder to kill than bacteria.
    Holtorf added that the symptoms of Powassan are more severe than Lyme, and can quickly reach a patient’s brain, leaving them susceptible to long-term neurological damage. The patients in Maine began presenting symptoms in late April and were hospitalized with encephalitis. They’ve since been discharged and are continuing to recover. Not all patients will have symptoms and will not be impacted by the infection, but those who are may experience fever, headache, vomiting, weakness, confusion, seizures and memory loss. In 10-15 percent of cases, the virus proves fatal.

Click link for more details.

I am often in the woods, my home is surrounded by woods.
    I use insect repellent when going out in the woods then shower when I come back in.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Yesterday evening I finally got my test result on blood tests for tick diseases . I tested positive for two and possibly three death potential diseases tularensis ,rocky mountain spotted fever and another possible infection . I went to the hospital and self diagnosed my suspected ailment . The results were weeks in arriving back to me , by that time I had already recovered with the aid of " doxycycliune " . I was told one of those diseases , I think tularensis is somewhat rare as only about 200 cases are reported positive in the U.S. per year . The lab sent back the report that I was in critical condition and needed to be hospitalized . Too late by the time that information got back I was already back building a slab foundation for another house on our survival retreat . --- That is the third time that I have potentially saved my own life by medically self diagnosing myself and reporting in to a doctor . I correctly diagnosed myself as a diabetic , blood infection from a bad tooth from which was causing me to black out and go into body spasms " actually I didn't go to the doctor on that one , I simply pulled my own tooth and recovered " and now more recently figured out they needed to treat and test me for a tick disease . " survived again "

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Here's the results for a web search on "tick prevention products for humans":

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=tick+prevention+products+for+humans&atb=v140-1&iax=images&ia=images

Here's video search results:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=tick+prev...rs&atb=v140-1&iar=videos&iax=videos&ia=videos

When out in fields or forests where I know there's tick problems, I've tied my pants legs around my boot-tops and sprayed super high percentage DEET on these ankle areas. You also have to apply DEET higher up on your body because ticks get in high grass and in bushes.

You don't want chiggers to eat-up your ankles, either!

upload_2021-7-17_13-53-43.png

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    I am soo lucky , ticks have not made it up here, too cold i guess.

TMT Tactical likes this.