No Food Stores

Discussion in 'Newbie Corner' started by Distilled, May 19, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Distilled

Distilled New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    If there were no grocery stores anywhere, would you be able to survive on your own today?

If you could how long would you make it with current reserves?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    6-9 months, probably a year with the stuff we grow and a bit of foraging.

3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes.
    Well into the next growing season. We have vegies growing through winter, & we have harvested those that can be damaged by frost & stored them. I can hunt for our own meat if necessary.

4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If you need to add to your food storage pantries, right now would be a good time to do so.

There's the matter of supply chain problems add to that inflation of prices / reduced levels of product inside containers that have not reduced in size. The fragility of world peace is on the line in such places as Ukraine. Truckers are fed-up with all of the big brother mandates on their lives, their business. The Harris/Susan Rice/biden administration is on the ropes.

I've noticed in my own home storage that I've eaten into yet not replaced a bunch of canned goods. Going shopping tomorrow. Have my lists together.

World issues are setting off flags in my head. Maybe I'm paranoid, but there's just a bunch of news now that speaks major destabilization of the status quo. I don't feel like I'm going nuts, but I sure do witness society going nuts. And it's not going to get any better. The chaos factors are speeding up, as a matter of fact. Like I said above, I'm going to have a heavy grocery cart tomorrow. Canned goods do that.

https://www.thepeterboroughexaminer...flation-rate-hits-65-per-cent-in-january.html

“The cost of everything across the food supply chain is getting so expensive and that’s the same for farms, wholesalers, packers and processors right up to retailers. All these things are coming together on top of other issues like winter storms and shipping delays and the result is higher prices.”

https://www.wate.com/news/local-new...-been-out-of-stock-ut-professor-explains-why/

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
    TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    shop local and shop seasonally.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Not only a decent supply of food need to be stockpiled but plans for an infinity self sustaining food supply . I have covered both . My 15 year old grandson was amused this week at school when he overheard one of the faculty bragging about her preparedness level " she claimed she had stockpiled enough food for a month . " He knew that paled in comparison to this households preparations . As I have stated before nearly all people prepare in this vicinity . It is just mainly a question as to what degree . --- Foreseeing the food crises that is continuing to grow , this winter got out my chain saw and ax and cut and drug off timber and burned it . Thus I expanded my garden space for the food crises that we are now in . I got landscape timbers and framed up raised garden beds and built permanent wire trellises for running butter beans and string beans to run on . Already I am adding stuff to my new raised beds as compost but the main compost I will add in a few more weeks . --- That is just the produce side of food infinity preparations . Then there is the meat and milk preparations in place . --- As I have read from the plans of some , we don't plan to depend on someone else for food or go off into the brush looking for worms , bugs , roots and such .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    A month's worth of extra stored food is probably what a newbie should aim for-to begin with, it is then possible to expand this further as time goes by, it is wise not to buy all our cans in the same place or all at the same time(bulk buying) if there is a problem with a production run at the canning factory one has lost their entire stockpile.
    as for how many months worth is desirable my thoughts are as much as possible depending on ones storage space available. modern UK houses have minimal storage space and do not have a designated Larder or Pantry area, one has to "think outside the box"!!
    all stockpiles are to SUPPLEMENT our fresh food supplies not to replace them.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  8. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    So true.

If there is a local farmer's market, shop there. Make friends there. If you have gardening questions, these people know the answers. Witness how much information DirtDiva has provided us. Knowledge = survival.

Where we live, every "wide place in the road" community has farmer's markets -- usually Saturday mornings. These folk need the community's support. It's not like they're getting rich off this anyway, is it. And too, overproduction of veggies must never go to waste. Reward farmers for being overly efficient. We all need their labor.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Farmers Markets, Farm Shops and general Markets are good places to get food and other supplies.
    I can get minced Venison packs at one Market I go to, makes one heck of a cottage pie!
    I always try to buy local honey and local plants because they are produced from local conditions not mass produced from far away. same with eggs.
    even our meat order comes from a local farm and the meat is much better quality than anything in a supermarket, we havent bought supermarket meat since first moving here over 12 years ago.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. paul m

paul m Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    We have an extensive garden and greenhouses here. Also poultry and rabbits. I don’t keep goats now though,as I don’t have the time anymore.We would have no problem supplementing or stores.