No need for store bought cleaners

Discussion in 'Other Homesteading' started by ziskasun, Jun 21, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. ziskasun

ziskasun New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I am a big fan of natural cleaning products that you make at home yourself. I like to use non-toxic ingredients that won't harm me or my pets or the environment. My favorite concoctions are:

1. Baking soda (natural abrasive, mild lightening effect)
    2. Vinegar (astringent, antiseptic qualities, can be mixed with baking soda)
    3. Borax (not totally non-toxic, but very effective)
    4. Lemon juice
    5. Elbow grease-seriously, just plain ole soap and water scrubbing.

There are others, but I have found these to be the ones I use the most.

Karen likes this.
  2. Tara

Tara New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Vinegar is my favorite cleaning product period. It's cheap, non-toxic and very effective. The smell usually dissipates within an hour. Baking soda is good as a natural abrasive, but I like to use plain table salt. I use table salt to clean my pots and pans. Salt is good for preventing stains on carpeting. Cover the spill with salt until it dries then vacuum the salt. Works wonders.

3. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I like using plain alcohol to clean my bathroom sinks. It is inexpensive.....i think i paid 50 cents for my last bottle. It kills germs, makes the silver finishes shine and i don't cough from chemicals in the air.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    these days everybody uses too many chemical cleaners, houses are too clean, even laboratory clean in some cases, our ancestors managed very well with Bleach, Bi-carb and vinegar.

5. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    White wood ash and water are marvellous for de-greasing pots or ovens. The wood ash and water form a natural lye which in turn reacts with burned on grease to create soap.

6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The Romans and many people through time have used urine as a cleaning product and treatment for injuries. Urine fresh from the source is sterile and astringent. The Romans used it to wash and brighten their clothing.