Not safe in the City

Discussion in 'The Apocalypse' started by ziskasun, Jun 18, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. ziskasun

ziskasun New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I don't know about you all but I don't feel safe in the city. At all. In an apocalyptic situation, I would want to be as far away from the city as possible. Virus/sickness will spread faster in the city because there are more people. It is easier for thugs to loot, steal and pillage in the city since dwellings are closer together. There are not as many natural resources in the city like plants you could eat or even much space to grow things. If you had to "flee," good luck getting very far in a crowded city. Thankfully I don't live in the city ( and never will )

2. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I think it really depends. In some situations, being around other people could be a godsend. How are you supposed to get the vaccine quicker if you're out in the middle of nowhere? I do agree that in a lot of situations you can be thankful to be in a secluded area. Zombies, viruses, infection, war. I think in all of those scenarios being as far away from population centers as possible is in your best interests. But I think there's a select few where you would want to be around other people.

3. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    In a full meltdown of society, I don't want to be anywhere near a major population center. If you can get out, do so, imho. Remember, civilization is dependent on food supply, electricity, the rule of law, etc. Think of how all those millions of folks stuck in a metro area are going to act when suddenly life as we know it is over. Not pretty, to put it candidly.

If you want a modern example, check out NOLA in the wake of Katrina.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    In an apocalypse, maybe I can stay in the city for some weeks or up to a month. There are resources in the city that can serve us like the supermarket and groceries. Think of the canned good and other preserved food that maybe can feed us for even a year. There are also some gadgets that are battery operated like flashlights. Most of all, the buildings are better for a shelter than being in a cave. However, the character of the public is taken into consideration. When people become rabid and riots are breaking out often, that would be a dangerous situation that should be avoided. For a female like me, one concern is rape because in Africa, particularly in Sudan, people are going hungry and the men still have the appetite to rape women.

I agree that the rural area is safer than the city in terms of danger posed by people. But barring that issue, I would prefer to stay in the urban for it has more logistics that would be beneficial to me than the rural area can offer.

5. Doubletap45

Doubletap45 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I found a town of 1200 people that we bought a home in. Several smaller towns some miles away. There are no major cities for hundreds of miles, which makes it a pretty darn good place to be.
    It's a ag community, which is also a huge bonus. Lots of like minded people, well armed and lots of food stored. Wooded areas and a good river just a couple miles away.
    No way would I ever consider living in any major urban or city area. The people in those areas will eat each other when things go south.
    Lots of smaller towns to thin out the city people before they ever get to us.
    The farms have a gravity fed pipe water system from the river, and we have a decent size hydro power plant just outside of town on one of the rivers. I would hope the locals would route power from it to the local area for as long as the local grid would last.

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I lived in a city for over 40 years, there is no way I would ever live there again.
    I live in a farming community, a parish of around 2,000 people, several hundreds of miles away from any major city.
    this area is unknown to all except locals, many small towns and villagers to filter out any undesireables in the event of SHTF, many roads without signposts and many different directions for people to go.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  7. Doubletap45

Doubletap45 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like you have found as ideal place as is possible. I think being a good distance from major population centers will be key to avoiding many problems.
    I often hear about people who have a bug out location several hours away from cities. Be assured, the people from the cities as well as gangs and others will be at your doorstep in short order when things fail.
    I think distance as well as smaller towns along the way will go a long way towards keeping the flocks of idiots from over running you. No doubt, trouble will come, but it should be much easier to handle. By the time people have traveled hundreds of miles, they will be weak, hurt, thinned out and much less in numbers.

There will be no "Perfect" place, but some will be far better than others.

8. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    When TSHTF no where will be "Safe". Everywhere will have its risks, it is how you deal with the risks where you are when you are that matters!
    On a floodplain your risk of thirst is low but the risk of drowning is high!
    A floatation vest has little use in the desert but crossing rivers etc it may just save your life!

9. Doubletap45

Doubletap45 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    You bring up another point, direction or Misdirection. Signs posted after an event that lead non locals down long roads to no where, promising a place like "Clear Springs" home to Agriculture" etc. might be very valuable. All is fair in love and war.

10. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Our county has 1200- 1500 people in it towns are small there isnt a red light in the county and 5 paved roads its a great place to live

11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    after an event I will go around and remove most of the signposts, the wooden ones will make good firewood.

12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    North Devon has less than 10% of the population of Devon as a whole, most people live around the coasts.
    Devon is the second largest county behind Yorkshire.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  13. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Devon is a small place!
    I have been shooting on farms bigger than that whole county!

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    how the hell do you know?
    or is that supposed to be a joke.

15. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Devon 6,707sq km2
    pop1,135,700
    persons per km2 167
    Water to the north
    Water to the south

94.2% white british

Been there as a kid!
    but google search is easy!

Largest property I have hunted 7,125km2 front gate to homestead 71km and just over 55min drive!
    Aus comes in at 2.8 per km2
    And isolated is when it is 500km between people and gas stations and drinks!

16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    UK as a whole: 650 persons per square mile(this is Britain we don't measure in Kilometres)
    North Devon average: 120 persons per square mile. population of Devon 1.1 million.
    of course there is water to the north and water to the south, its called the British ISLES as in an Island.
    94% white british? what else would we be? you were expecting us to be African or something maybe?
    nearest LARGE city 300 miles away.