Oh My. The Ammo!

Discussion in 'Guns' started by jeager, Jun 10, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    I had something like 41 plastic bins of reloading equipment, bullet, powder, shot, 12
    gauge hulls, wads, primes, .....................................................................AMMO.
    Stored in my neighbors barn.
    It's time to inventory it and get the equipment up and running again.
    I haven't seen my goodies in a year or so and I was amazed at the amount
    of reloading equipment and supplies I have.
    Now I have to separate all that and inventory it.
    Something like 15,000 rounds of .22 rim fire.
    Lots of rifle and handgun ammo.
    Even found a Verona shotgun I'd packed away.
    Whew!

2. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      245/345

Blog Posts:
    I once had a lot. I had inventoried and was at 17000 rds. Mixed 45auto, 40 cal, 357, 38spl., 22/250, 30/06, 223, 380, 22lr and 9mm. I had guns in all these calibers except 9mm. I did some really serious thinking. I believe the elites will eventually succeed in pushing though gun laws and take away the rights of the individuals to own guns. I vote against this and believe its wrong. Yet I believe it will happen. So when Obama was in office. I began sellin g my guns and ammo off. Yep.

My reasoning, sell while prices are high. People were going nuts over guns and ammo. If I am right and they succeed the value will be nothing and illegal to boot.

So if I am right. Sell high!

I decided I should follow reason and my intuition.

I am against this but I just think the sheep will follow the elitists and go for control.

After all a car is responsible for the drunk driver, Building management is responsible for the mental case who jumps from high places. The victim who defends themselves is a perp and will stand trial. People are no longer men and women we are whatever crazy insane thought that comes into their minds. etc. etc. etc.

3. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:

Really?

In what way and how?

Almost anything can be a fire hazard especially a match in the hands of a snowflake.
    Just sayin'.:rolleyes:

4. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      245/345

Blog Posts:
    It was a wooding building. There was no electric in it. I shot most of it. The good old days when I was single and could afford it. LOL

I would shoot a few hundred by myself on a visit to the range. My brother and I could shoot 2k rounds in a day visit. Very common for he and I to shoot 500 to a thousand. I went 3 times a week for several years. We would go and hang out for hours. Great fun for single guys. Our favorite game was to go to the area where the shooting clays were. Pick up the solid ones. Place them on the bank at the back of the plinking range. We would load up everything we had. Mag's speed loaders everything. Then say GO! and shoot until we could not find any color visible. At first its all big pieces then the pieces get smaller and smaller.

The action pistol area was fun too. Practiced all kinds of things. We would take turns coming up with ideas. Following ideas like IDPA did. Sometimes just shoot steels and alternate through them.

Its funny when I got older THEN had kids. Priorities changed.

Fond memories of the good old days.

5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Plastic containers?! Hope no black powder was involved! Static electricity + black powder = saying Howdy! to your ancestors.

And fire hazard!!!!!!!!!!! Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!! If that barn had gone alight, you'd have had to tell the fire department to get out'a there and far, far away at that! Any structures or dry woods nearby would also be at risk. At dynamite storage areas, the pretties are stored in smaller underground concrete "root cellar" type structures very well separated from each other. I'm from mining country and have made deliveries to such places. There's crap you don't mess with and if you have to, you get VERY formal about every action you take. Homie don't like things that go boom.

If you have ammo in a house or other structure, you gotta be able to fire-fight (yourself) into it and be able to throw the metal ammo cans out a door or through a window. Read, BIG fire extinguishers. Beautiful window, but you can't open it, tough-sh##, ammo can through the glass.

Have fire alarms everywhere and ones loud enough to wake the dead. Add dog -- a dog's nose is far more sensitive than any fire alarm. My house alarms are tied to an emergency notification system.

Never put cops or firefighters at risk. They are coming in blind if you've not done your part. If your place isn't safe, then DO NOT expect them to attempt to save it.

Look at commercial buildings that have hazardous materials. Such building have those fire symbols on their sides. This is for firefighters to see how to put out the fire and to see if the fire could be non-fightable, i.e. evacuate the area. Ammo cases may not shoot out bullets sans a barrel, however if packed together, ammo will turn into fireballs of intense heat and pressure.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Smokeless gunpowder is no more dangerous to have in your house, barn or shop than a stack of news paper, magazines or any other flammable substance. Smokeless gunpowder is NOT explosive like black powder. It is just regular flammable just like a bottle of rubbing alcohol or charcoal lighter that you have in your garage. I have 15 or 20 ponds of powder and at times in the past I bought it in 10 pound containers. If you set it on fire it will burn...so will wood, plastic, paper or most petrochemical based liquids. The only "explosive" items that you have involved in modern metallic cartridge reloading is the primer and they are stored separably in their original packaging.

Even loaded ammo isn't as dangerous as you would think. In a fire it will POP. that means that the pressure will pop the bullet out of the case and the powder will BURN not explode because it isn't explosive. When it does pop, it is the case that usually flies the farthermost because it weighs less than the bullet and since it isn't inside a guns chamber the case will take off and leave the bullet laying there sort of. Neither has a lot of punch.

The way modern guns fire is different from black powder guns. A black powder change explodes and the expanding gasses push the slug out of the barrel. To some extent the bullet is coasting from the moment of the explosion forward. When you fire a modern cartridge the primer sets the powder on fire and the burning powered turns it into gas. This gas creates pressure and as the pressure builds in the case the speed that the power burns increases. The faster it burns the faster the pressure rises and the faster it burns. Every different power burns at different rates and the increase in speed as the pressure increases is variable. This means that the perfect load of powder foir a 110 grain bullet might be to little for a heavier bullet or in some cases to MUCH!! That is why you don't load without a manual that give you specific information about each individual power.

Example, a 13 grain load of Hercules 2400 powder in a 357 mag is a hot magnum load. 13 grains of Unique powder would be like a bomb and might blow your gun up!! 2400 is a slightly slower burning powder that is great for heavy loads because it smoothly accelerates the bullet from the barrel smoothly and offers excellent accuracy in longer barrels and powerful loads. This is what I loaded for silhouette long distance pistol shooting. out of a nearly 8" barrels Ruger Blackhawk. Unique is a fast burning powder and both builds pressure fast and increases that burn fast. I use it for all sorts of things because it is sort of a little dab will do it for a lot of light loads for just plinking and fun shooting. It is also a good powder for a lot of shotgun loads. Where it shines in metallic cartridge reloading is when you are loading for short barrels handguns. You can get better velocity from a snub nose with Unique than with most other powders.

Without pressure smokeless gunpowder really doesn't do much that is all that impressive. I used to smoke while I reloaded and if my partner was smoking I would occasionally dump a load into the ashtray. It wouldn't catch until he would try to snuff the butt out and then it would burn and startle him. No poof or boom, just a sudden slow fire that would last for a couple of seconds then be done. Smokelss powder has to be enclosed in a STRONG container to get anything even close to an explosion. You can't roll it up in paper like black powder and make it pop. You NEVER store it in a vault or safe. It comes in either a cardboard box or a plastic on or occasionally a very light metal can and you never store it in anything else. A wooden cabinet is great a safe is a bomb!!

There, more than you ever needed to know about it.

7. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Good post. I'm 71 and been reloading since I was 16.
    I load 10% below max found in the reloading manuals. Not because the max loads aren't safe but
    because ammo I reload a bit under max is usually the most accurate loads in my firearms.
    When I want full house loads for defense I buy a box of factory ammo.
    Legal reasons for that also.

8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Most of the handguns that I have reloaded for were very strong guns and I usually start at least 10% below max and then go up slowly reading my primers after ever 5 shots. When the primers start to extrude back around the firing pin creating craters it is TOO MUCH so I back up. These hand guns were Rugers or N frame S&Ws or Thompson Centers. I would NEVER allow these loads to be shot in and Colt revolver, J, K or L Frame Smiths or cheaper foreign guns. I do push a little in the Taurus Revolvers because they are solid framed without side plates and generally a little heavier than the L frame S&Ws for their bigger hand guns.

Automatics are just not made for this sort of experimenting and work best with loads that are near to the factory standard...but then again I've never tried to hit a target out past a hundred yards with an automatic pistol either.

Reloading was a lot of fun and each weapon seemed to have its own special mix that would bring out the best in it. There is a special thrill when you find that special sweet spot and start getting those pretty one hole groups and sub minute of angle groups out past a hundred yards with rifles.