One Of The Best Knives To Have In Any Bug Out Pack

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Carter, Jun 10, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Carter

Carter New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    In my personal opinion weather you agree or disagree I Think one of the best pocket knives for survival is the SCHF 14. Notice how I said "pocket knife" , of course I would pick a machete over a pocket knife for survival but if you want something compact that you can carry for survival every day that's durable and fits in a pocket comfortably then I would get the SCHF 14. It's a full tang style blade and does very well in harsh conditions. It can sit comfortably on the belt vertically, or horizontally and can slip into a pocket at any time.
    I highly recommend you check out this knife on Shrade's website or through a simple google search on the internet. Thanks for reading.

2. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Shrader fine knifes lock blaades are ok if used right but are weak in the spine stronger in spine a sheath knife is better choice for survival uses

3. Para173

Para173 Well-Known Member
      95/99

Blog Posts:
    Seber for my needs. Great knife with a lock to keep the blade stable in a variety of positions.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I was always told the best knife is the one you have on you at the time.

OneFoot, mrfred and Mekada like this.
  5. JAG ACE

JAG ACE New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    G'day. I'm new here.
    Question: Do links and images not work here?

I've seen the above discussions but see no images or links with more detailed descriptions. :(

Keith H. likes this.
  6. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    They work here if members would just post 'em.

Keith H. likes this.
  7. sanny99

sanny99 New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    In my personal opinion I Think one of the best pocket knives for survival is the SCHF, of course I would pick a machete over a pocket knife for survival but if you want something compact that you can carry for survival every day that's durable and fits in a pocket comfortably then I would get the SCHF 14. It's a full tang style blade and does very well in harsh conditions. It can sit comfortably on the belt vertically, or horizontally and can slip into a pocket at any time.
    I highly recommend you check out this knife on Shrade's website or through a simple google search on the internet. Thanks for reading.

8. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
  9. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    That's true my dear, In some situations A knife situated on belt will be too far to reach that You'll just have to pick your pen on the desk, So we never know as long as you survive that's the aim you can use even razor :) however my suggestion for best survival knife would be A swiss Army knife centurion You can browse it through Google ;-) it's portable.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    Keith H. likes this.
  10. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Clara1993 likes this.
  11. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    A trapper pocket knife has any one tryed to clean game with a big Bowie style knives sure you can do it but a small folder or small sheath knife will work better it's why mountain men had about 4 knives and a hatchet and axe

Attached Files:

12. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    When out and about in the woods I carry a pocket knife and a belt knife.
    I like my Camilus titanium folder for a large pocket knife.
    I have an S.O.G. Tanto belt knife as well as others.
    I'm looking to buy a Buck Selkirk.
    upload_2017-6-11_0-41-32.png
    Buck 863 Selkirk Survival Knife Fixed 4.625" Blade

About $54 bucks depending upon where you shop.
    I think it was $49 bucks at Smokey Mountain.
    Buck knives are made in China!
    What else is new!
    Sad ain't it?

This one also caught my attention.
    https://www.smkw.com/boker-plusrold

$113.00

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the brand or not of a knife is irrelevant, I have lots of knives that are unbranded, many lock knives that cost less than £10, all served me well and i'm still using them, its how you use the knives that's important, not what brand it is or even how much it cost or where it was manufactured.

Taq Noob likes this.
  14. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    I had to look that L10 thing up. :p
    12.74 US Dollar
    Is "L" a designation for "pounds"?

1. "the basic monetary unit of the UK, equal to 100 pence."
    So what's a "pence".
    Americans don'cha'know. If it works for the rest of the world
    we won't do/use it.
    We use "feet" base 12" when base 10 would be so much better.
    Damn yankees!:confused:
    When I was in college (not so long ago) I had to learn base 10 for all
    engineering classes.
    ( I didn't start my education 'till age 48. )

15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes £ is what we use as shorthand for a UK pound.
    like you would use $ for a dollar.

16. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    O.K. thanks.
    About base units of measure etc.
    NASA sent a millions of dollars probe to land on Mars some years
    back and the mission failed.
    Being a multi nation venture everything was supposed to be based on
    International Units. ( I.U.)
    One person forgot and entered one line of math code in U.S. units.
    The mission got to Mars o.k. but the messages sent to Earth
    were gibberish.
    Another failure at our expense.

17. Taq Noob

Taq Noob New Member
      6/29

Blog Posts:
    I honestly dont know. Lol. I collect knives and have alot. If i go camping and do some bushcraft i usually take my mora bushcraft and my cold steel bushman. I always have a swiss army knive with me aswell mainly for the small knive, toothpick and tweezer.

I dont think theres something like the best knive. If you use a knive properly you can use any knive for survival. Yes, some knives may have an advantage above others.

18. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have a ton of knives and to me the best of the lot are the Kabar army knife in both the long and the short sizes and the Kabar Kukri. They are all 1095 high carbon steel which is tough as nails and dependable and easy to keep sharp.

I also have and like the Buck 119 and the smaller version the 102. They are made from 420 HC stainless which is a good steel for a working knife.

That said I recently picked up on of these.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XRBDLRI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I would have likes the real Tom Brown Tracker but they are a little too proud of them and the price is outrageous. This one, like the Tom Brown, is 1095 high carbon steel with micarta handle. It is, for me, a bit of a project knife in that I changes all of the grind angles. It is now razor sharp on the tip and the part near the handle with a broader grind on the flat part of the wider end for chopping.

This is a knife made specifically with survival in mind and designed by someone that has been in this for many many years. It is heavy enough for chopping and not so long an heavy that it is cumbersome. I'm working with it and so far it is very impressive.

I really think that 1095 and micarta are the best combination for a tough all purpose survival knife. Most all stainless steels are too hard and tend to be brittle for chopping of batoning. Stainless is hard and so when it dulls what it is actually doing is chipping along the fine edge. this means that sharpening it is time consuming and hard to do in the field. 1095 is tough but flexible and most of the time the fine edge will bend over rather than chip off. This means that to return the sharp edge all you need is a steel. I have an old schrade honing steel that is for carrying into the field. All a steel actually does is straighten the edge.

Micarta is made out of many layers of cloth totally impregnated in epoxy. It doesn't split, chip, rot or wear out. We used to make bearings out of it for marine use on drill ships and drilling rigs. it is the ultimate lifetime material for a knife handle.

If your funds are limited you need to look into mora knives. I have about a dozen of them and have never be disappointed. They make a regular weight knife in both carbon and stainless and then a thicker stronger one in carbon. ALL are great knives and under 20 dollars.

19. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Any knife made by kabar is a great knife they have many to choose from! I own acouple models and they have never failed i see nothingbut high praise for mora made china for swiss co i may have to find one to try. A orignal ww1 trench knife is a great find strong full tang blade with brass knuckle hand gruad and a kill spike which is what made this knife rare as they were illegal to own BEWARE OF CHEAP MODERN COPY SOLD TODAY AS THESE ARE NOT NEAR THE QUALITY OF THE REAL ONE. this knife goes by nickname the knucklebuster & trench knife both if you find a real one ypu will know it by age dates on it markings on it and just the feelof it the cheap ones dont come close to quality

20. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    In the area of folding true pocket knives there are a ton of good ones out there. I'm pretty fond of Kershaw's but there are a lot of really good ones out there. If you want a very good knife that is dirt cheap, light and has a locking mechanism I can't overstate the quality for the price benefits in Openel from France and MAMs from Portugal. They are both under 15 dollars and the Opinel is available in both carbon and stainless. I have several of both and they are nice in the pocket. In both of these knives the only metal is in the blade, hinge and the locking mechanism. This makes for a very lightweight knife.

Openel... https://www.amazon.com/Opinel-Carbo...qid=1518149103&sr=8-1&keywords=openell+knives

MAM...https://www.amazon.com/MAM-MAM2038-...rd_wg=1jcr6&psc=1&refRID=1VQPEZF7A01P80YZVWV4

Hi, I'm Dan and I'm a knife addict!!! I have several hundred knives of all kinds, make knives and still probably buy 2 or 3 every month. I know it is stupid but for me happiness is a new knife.

21. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    A knife is a tool...like any other tool in my garage or tool box. It is how much you know about a the tool and how to use it.

I agree with Texdanm here in this...

I have several and keep one in my various BOBs in my different vehicles. They are good quality for the monies spent on this inexpensive knife.

They are not heavy duty like a K Bar..but will work fine as long as you know this.

Another thing...of importance to me. Many people out here are some kind of stupid about a knife or any other tool. By this I mean abusive.

The Knife....folder or fixed blade is one of the most abused tools out there next to a screwdriver. There are people out there for whom I do not like them using my knife...they can get their own....and furthermore...why don't they???

I too like the K Bar knives...the carbon steel and have both the long version Marine K bar and the short ones too...the survival ones they used to issue to pilots.

Stainless is fine for certain things..but overall ...I just prefer Carbon Steel.

Oh...and again...just like the Mora knives...the Opinel is a good knife for the money...and it is carbon steel too.
    Of these I also have several...and they are "Sharp." They are on the line and ready to go...pre staged and in place.

I keep a diamond hone and several glass element rods from a commercial Mercury Vapor bulb in my daily BOB for sharpening. Amazing how many people have knives and cannot sharpen a knife for ......s--t!! That to me too is abuse of a tool.

My .02,
    Watcherchris

22. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    You need to pick up one of the Mora heavy blade knife. It is a lot thicker and stronger and makes a very servicable survival tool.

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Com...8207174&sr=8-1&keywords=mora+heavy+duty+knife

I am always amazed by people that can't seem to grasp that carbon steel knives will rust and tarnish. They like the bright shiny stainless steel and very few can keep it sharp. One of the first things that I do with all of my carbon steel knives is I polish them and then blue them like a gun. I use 44/40 instant cold gun bluing. On my heavy tools I brown them like the old guns were done. In both cases all I'm doing is bonding the surface available iron molecules so they are not free to oxidize. Rust is iron oxide.

One of the oldest and best ways to protect carbon steel tools is to keep them well oiled. Unfortunately oil is not easy to come by in a forest in the old days so they protected their tools by browning them. Browning is very simple. Say for a hatchet head that you want to protect. Polish it as best you can then totally clean of any oil. I usually wash it with soap and water then after drying it I use alcohol to get it totally dry. I then warm it up. leaving iot in the sun is fine. I then dip it in saltwater or urine and let it rust. It will rust in a hurry under these conditions. Once the entire piece is covered with a thin coating of rust you then oil it and rub it until it is a smooth reddish brown color. You have now totally covered your tool in a layer of bonded and oiled iron oxide and it can't really rust because there are no free bits to oxidize.

Browning isn't as pretty as blueing but for a working gun that you will carry into the woods rain or shine it is a better protection for the metal.

23. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well if we are talking clasp knives I like the Opinel. I have two, a #10 & a #8.
    69d13eed6f56e53b14f45d305f9e6359.jpeg 69d13eed6f56e53b14f45d305f9e6359.jpeg
    Keith.

24. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Keep your fingers crossed for me birthday in march i hinted to all one of opinel #8 would please me lol

Keith H. likes this.
  25. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well March is not far away, but still a long time to keep ones fingers crossed! But I do wish you the best of luck receiving one:)
    Keith.

26. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have a oak stocked #8 in my pocket right now. I like the fact that they are light weight for everyday carry. Any other knife this size would be heavy.

Keith H. likes this.
  27. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Texdanm,

Already done. I read on a site where someone mentioned them. I did not even know Mora made a heavy duty version of their knife. I ordered two of them and put them away in my other two BOBS in my other two vehicles.

I keep a standard stainless Mora Knife in my daily BOB in addition tot the inexpensive folder I carry in my pocket daily. This Stainless Mora is often used in cutting cakes and pies etc. etc. when someone brings them in to share with the crew....or one of those five or six foot submarine sandwiches...when we all chip in.

You can definitely tell the difference in thickness in the Heavy Duty Mora. Mora and Opinel have put out a good product and at a very good price. As far as I am concerned these two companies have cut themselves out a niche in the marketplace..they have my money and confidence.

One of my Opinel knives is right here at my computer bench .....kept in an extra...mag light holder.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris