Orlando club shooting kills 50

Discussion in 'Safety' started by Corzhens, Jun 12, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    This recent incident in Orlando is a sad story because those inside the Pulse Gay Club went there to have fun so a shooting is far from their mind. And when the gunman appeared and went on a killing rampage, 50 died and some 53 were injured.

There was one similar incident here that happened in Ozone Disco. But this time, the killer is the fire. When electrical problems caused flames that eventually spread, the revelers were trapped because the fire exit door was jammed. More than a hundred died.

In those urban incidents where safety should be of utmost concern but obviously was neglected, what can you do if you were one of those inside?

2. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    There is nothing similar in those two incidents. In Florida it was a terrorist attack. The Ozone Disco was due to the lack of regulatory safety inspections that the Philippines has. There is no safety standard or sanitation laws. You basically do what you want and not worry about it as the main goal is to do everything on the cheap and profit from it as much as possible.

Look at the picture below. Does that look safe to you? Wiring is a big mess, and the worker has no safety gear or harnesses on. Even the ladder is made of Bamboo which is totally not safe and could catch on fire.

06nY7GZSdS7sipyRBE9IMI4W5LeNtFl6.jpeg 06nY7GZSdS7sipyRBE9IMI4W5LeNtFl6.jpeg

3. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    This shooting hurts my heart. It hurts my heart to know that there are people in this world, willing to take other's lives, simply because they disagree with their lifestyle. Something as simple as liking the same sex can cause someone to do something this horrendous? You'd think we would be over this by now. My best friend is a gay man and I can't even imagine receiving some of these text messages that were made public. A mother had to read a text from her son that he was about to be killed. That alone makes me sick to my stomach. My heart goes out to the victims and their loved ones.

Valerie likes this.
  4. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    @joshposh - those photos remind me of an apartment I had in Baltimore, Maryland. I took one look at the wiring and said, "Nope. Not staying here. I'm going to die in hell fire eventually." Totally not safe at all.

As for the shootings in Orlando, I find it incredibly saddening. Just like Sandy Hook and the Aurora Cinema shooting, Pulse was supposed where people could feel safe being their unique selves. Hate crimes and terrorism are pure cowardice and intolerance taken to homicidal levels... and it's disheartening that even in this day in age, people are too blind to realize that murder does nothing but inflict pain of hundreds, of thousands of people. The fact that these acts of violence continue to happen, and at such a high frequency, really makes me wonder if humanity is truly as advanced as we claim to be. This is why when SHTF, it's going to be the actions of humans that amplify the devastation of the cataclysm.

Arboreal likes this.
  5. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    There are incredible stories I've heard of people who survived terrorist attacks or even mass executions by playing dead but in case of an attack you want to get as far away from the attacker as you can. Find a good hiding place and prepare to fight should the terrorists find you because their goal is to kill you. Why make it easy?

6. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I feel so bad watching to stories an updated on my local news channel. I cried with them as they interview crying survivors. Now the wife of the terrorist is facing criminal charges. They say she knew and did nothing to stop him. She even drove him to scope out the place. What a tragedy.

7. ToTang45

ToTang45 Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    They say she admitted it, but who knows what actually happened, she may well have been under duress to do so.
    I mean, her husband was capable of taking 50 innocent lives and has a history of domestic abuse. Imagine what he could have done to her and her son should she not go along with whatever he says.

A tragedy in every sense.

8. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    First of all I have to be honest there's a lot that could have been done to prevent this. In the Orlando club shooting, they should've checked for weapons before any one could enter the club. Back when I used to go to clubs security would pat you down before you could go in, fights would break out but no one was armed. I have a hard time understanding how someone sneaks in a AR 15 assault rifle with enough ammo to shoot over 100 people. Even when I went to strip clubs you would get checked for weapons, sometimes the cops would be there. I must admit security has lapsed since 2013 the last time I went to a club security at the door only asked for ID. I personally wouldn't go to a club that doesn't check for weapons at the door. This is why I don't go to clubs anymore.

9. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I don't know how to interpret the Orlando club shooting because the individual concerned was a regular patron of the club and was even said to have fraternised with a gay individual. The only thing I can say is that as long as we are in this world, we should be prepared for extremes of opinion some of which will disastrously manifest in a person you least expect. Anyway, the best advice when in such a place is to lie down flat and cover yourself or squeeze yourself under corpses and act dead (I hate the fact that I have to say this). But the worst enemy in such situations is panic which increases one's chances of being shot.

10. Arboreal

Arboreal Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    He might have well shot the security guys first :( It's absolutely horrific news, but also made me wonder on how it affects people's stance towards self-defence. Sure if at least one in 5 people inside were armed, the killers rampage would have been cut short?

11. willywonka

willywonka Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I felt so bad when I saw that piece on a mother reading txts from her son before he died. It was just heartbreaking. I wish that there was armed security in this club. I have been to gay clubs and they do not pat you down for weapons. Sometimes I didn't even get checked for ID until I got to the bar. Depending on the neighborhood in Los Angeles, it gets really relaxed and I am sure that this could happen again if we don't wake up and beef up security.

12. willywonka

willywonka Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I felt so bad when I saw that piece on a mother reading txts from her son before he died. It was just heartbreaking. I wish that there was armed security in this club. I have been to gay clubs and they do not pat you down for weapons. Sometimes I didn't even get checked for ID until I got to the bar. Depending on the neighborhood in Los Angeles, it gets really relaxed and I am sure that this could happen again if we don't wake up and beef up security.

13. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    I haven't heard how easy it was to get in the club with the guns, but assuming he came to the door with it in hand, I highly doubt one of the bouncers is going to try and wrestle it from him. He came in and the bouncers fled, and stood there near the front door where no one could slip by so easily unless he was shooting someone else and not paying attention.

He use to hang out there and drink a lot. Weird how he would say that it was for ISIS and he also had a gay chat app that he used on his phone for a year also. A conflict man that was gay and extremist muslim. So he hated himself.

14. Arboreal

Arboreal Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    @ joshposh I didn't know about the shooter being gay himself. I doubt we'll ever fully understand his complicated motive for the attack, seeing how full of contradictions he was.

15. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I think the obvious option is to get as far away as you can, as quickly as possible. Hiding isn't always the best option, because they could find you. Also, you can't really have a coordinated attack, and take down the gunman very easily. People who are panicked aren't very likely to coordinate on anything. Take any exit you can, get as far away as possible. When the thing you're trying to fight is a man with an assault rifle, or fire, the only thing you can do is run. Hopefully you weren't one of the initial targets, so you can get out easily. Run for any and all exits you can, in the least amount of time. Being a hero in this situation usually doesn't get you anywhere. Maybe, just maybe, you'll be able to take him down if you do it right, but it's not really worth the risk. I think more often than not, you'll just end up dying in vain. Also, the fact we're talking about how to survive, not how to help everyone else survive.

16. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I agree with you on this. Gun control advocates want stricter gun laws because of things like this, but gun rights advocates say armed citizens could stop these things from happening. I agree that people should need background checks before they buy guns, but this guy passed a background check. So what's left do away with guns? Then criminals or terrorist will get them illegally. There have been many cases when robberies in public places have been stopped by concealed carry weapons owners.