Outward Bound

Discussion in 'Newbie Corner' started by kgord, May 25, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Has anyone ever done something like OUtward Bound or some other sort of wilderness survival courses? OUtward Bound is a short term thing, and may not be a classic survival course..but I am curious about people's experiences in these programs and what they learned.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    What exactly is Outward Bound? From your description, I assume some sort of survival program? I'm sorry but I don't know it, perhaps because of where I currently live - not really a large country.

Give us the ignorant ones a bit more information :p much appreciated!

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    we had outward bound in the 60s but I think it was superseded by the "Duke of Edinburgh award".

4. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    It was a program to help people get out of their comfort zone and challenge themselves. Part of the program was spending 3 days in a wilderness setting by themselves. I am not sure if the program is actually still in existence or not. I am wondering if anyone underwent any of these wilderness experiences, and how it was.

5. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    I have had a number or survival courses but not what we generally discuss here.
    Surviving the criminal element.
    They had zero rules, "we" had many.
    Police work don'cha' know.
    Lots of hand to hand, firearms, explosives, bomb disposal, and such.

I learned 2 gallons of gasoline had the same explosive potential as 2 sticks of ditching
    dynamite.

We blew up cars with each. Impressive.

Of I found a bomb I'd call in some real experts and beat a hasty retreat.

I thought I knew a lot about shtf survival but I learned much, much, more
    here.

6. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Well being as this is a survival forum I am sure you would. It is tough to make sure you have the right methods to survive in the world. I think those of us who take our survival seriously should investigate the best techniques to be able to survive in the event of an apopcalyptic event, or the wanting to withdraw from society, whatever your reasoning is.

7. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Did you, or others of our persuasion, ever wonder if we are 5 fries shy of a Happy Meal, half a
    bubble off center, not playing with a full deck?

My fiance thinks so.
    I keep a lot of prepping to myself.
    I believe many snowflakes just won't even consider any shtf situation.
    Our world has become a very dangerous world indeed.

Many people feel, think, "it can happen here", or "it won't happen to me or mine" and so on.

Being a retired police officer I dealt with everything that should never happen to anyone
    that happened anyway.
    13 serious injuries happened to me and I was well trained and had weapons!

An older woman working alone in a convenience store at night gets shot in the mouth!
    A lady 64 years old working alone at a gas station gets raped.

A 15 year old out hunting takes a charge from a 12 gauge in the guts!

One night on Dec. 23rd I was on my way home from night school when I saw sparks in the
    distance, felt the ground shudder a bit.
    Huh?
    I little further up the road I saw what caused it.
    A truck ran a stop sign, got hit broadside by a car.
    Three people, all 16, all from my neighborhood, were dead right there.
    Go figure!
    A second of inattention was the cause of 3 dead kids.

Keith H. likes this.
  8. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    No I have not kgord, but I am a primitive skills instructor, & I used to teach survival. I have reviewed videos of such courses, but I refused to make them public because they were absolute amateurs & what they were teaching & the way they were teaching was so bad. If you intend to take such a course, do your research & make sure the course has a good reputation.
    Keith.

9. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    You are right jeager, I am not sure what that is all about. Almost as if they think denying the possibility will protect them. Some think that bad things only happen to those that deserve it, is that a god thing? I don't know. What I do know is that disaster can happen at any time to anyone, regardless of race, colour, social standing, religion, good or bad. I mentioned one time on a forum that I did not think it was fair to ban "survival type rifles" in national parks. I am referring to the little .22 rimfires that were made specifically for survival purposes. They packed away into a hollow synthetic stock for carrying in a backpack. Some bloke come back & commented that you don't need a gun in a national park, what did I think could possibly happen to someone camping in a national park?!
    Some people have absolutely no idea how dangerous it can be out there jeager.
    Keith.

10. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Keith H. likes this.
  11. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well done jeager, that is the exact same rifle I was referring to, the AR-7.
    Keith.

12. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    I completed a 2 week course at CHAMPS.
    I don't recall what champs stood for but it was grueling.
    All for a management position at G.M.
    It was about teamwork. We had to walk a steel cable 40 feet on the ground with team members
    holding safety rope on a harness, and swing from one tree platform to another among many other
    things.
    It was super fun.
    Stupid but fun.
    Working as management was far, far, worse.
    The powerful union was a real enemy for management.

kgord and Keith H. like this.
  13. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    There are a few wilderness and survival training courses around. I think the ones that have stayed in business a long time, do a decent job. Also of course being a member of the miliatary you are going to get a certain amount of training in how to survive in the elements. I am sure that training is as available as anything you get that you have to pay for.

14. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
  15. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I think alot of management positions may require some of that sort of training. It is something that is the go to think I think for positions. I mean trust falls and all that sort of thing probably originated in some sort of management training course. I am just speculating here. I really have no idea but I think it may have been made for employees.