painful lump

Discussion in 'First Aid and Medicine' started by BeautifullyBree, Jun 15, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    You have a painful lump on your inner thigh, and its extremely painful. You're In a survival situation, and you have no idea what the lump was cause by. You can barely walk, and there isn't a opening on the sore. It feels hard to the touch and a little soft in the center. What do you do? Do you rest or walk in pain?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    As usual it depends on your situation. If you can afford to rest, do so. If you have to keep moving, move. Try & relive the pain in any way you can by avoiding rubbing it. A gentle massage around the area may help & is unlikely to do any harm. Try a warm pack to see if that helps, it may bring it to a head.
    Keith.
    http://www.healthdirect.gov.au/boils
    https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/boils

BeautifullyBree likes this.
  3. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I would be inclined to lance it, squeeze it then patch it!
    If that left a visable hole I would flush it!
    I would also check it every 24 hours and repeat if I thought it needed it!

4. BeautifullyBree

43/47

Blog Posts:
    I recently saw an article about Prid salve. I was thinking it might be beneficial for my survival pack. The reviews on the product are great. Have either of you ever used or heard of this? If you get a lump you rub it on, and several people's were cleared up in a single day.

5. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I actually had a condition similar to the one mentioned (but on my left buttock) which turned out to be cellulitis. The salve that you mentioned would probably have helped a bit but, ultimately, it would require debridement. It would be useful for general cleanliness and for prevention of such a condition but once the ailment that you mentioned has occurred, a more significant medical procedure would be needed.

6. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    Boils wouldn't develop that quick without noticing it. Sounds like heavy inflammation. I would probably strap on a ice pack and take some ibuprofen as it is a pain reliever and anti-inflammatory. If I see a insect bite or small puncture, you could be having a allergic reaction. So anti-histamine is in order. If anything is that painful, then you aren't suppose to touch it.

If you're wondering about ice packs in the wild, here is a pic of instant ice and hot packs. It's chemically produced by mixing the 2 ingredients in them. Just crush and shake real hard.

hTm62mOmFh5H-BChj8ETn0l-B1uNDD_W.jpeg

7. Destiny

Destiny Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I have to agree that it completely depends on your situation. If you can rest then rest, if you can't then you can't. It sounds awful as hell though.

8. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    A lump or swelling caused by an injury or infection is quite annoying to deal with. It's likely to be an infection if the skin around the lump is red and warm. They are not dangerous, but if is red or purple these are probably caused by an infection, I suggest to clean it with alcohol or any other disinfectant.

9. BeautifullyBree

43/47

Blog Posts:
    This had actually happened to me! I had gotten bit by a spider, or so we believe. I hate those pesky critters. We had sprayed our house for bugs recently, and it still didn't help. I guess it must be those Oklahoma fields. We live in town, but right behind our house is a grown up pasture. They usually keep cows, but they haven't had any this year so the bugs are thriving back there.