Pets during an apocalypse?

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by BeautifullyBree, Jun 2, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Not many people talk about pets post apocalypse. I'm just curious what would you do if an apocalypse came and your pet was lucky enough to survive. Would you try to care for him? Even if food were scarce? Would you leave him to survive on his own? I think I would keep my pet with me. I would train him to be quiet, and not bark if I needed to. If there came a point in time I couldn't feed us both I'm not sure where I'd really go from there..I guess I'd figure it out. What would you do?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    If the pet is not trained now beforehand it will be useless as during and after the price of a bark might kill you!

Pets are good with lots a curry!:)

3. BeautifullyBree

43/47

Blog Posts:
    That is very true. My dogs are somewhat trained. I don't control their barking though. I definitely for see that as a problem. May be I should start training them now.

4. BeautifullyBree

43/47

Blog Posts:
    Well I should rephrase that. They are somewhat trained with barking, but that's post bark. If you tell them by "hush" they will stop. Its likely that would be too late though

5. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Of course i would take my pet with me, that's not even a question. My pet is part of my family and i wouldn't be able to forgive myself if i left him to die in the middle of an apocalypse. That's downright brutal.

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    in an apocalypse there will be no such thing as a "pet", all animals will have to pay their way, either a breeding animal or a meat animal, working animal or a guard animal, no-one -animal or human will get a free ride.
    sorry but its a fact of life, or will be post SHTF.
    I think you'll find most cats and dogs will go "feral" after the apocalypse.

jeager likes this.
  7. willywonka

willywonka Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I always wonder what will happen to my cats because they do not sleep in the house all of the time and it would be hard to carry them around in a situation like that. I do have one dog and I am sure we would take him with us because he would be great for protection and detecting things like snakes if we ever have to cross through the desert or the mountains near my house. Great thread!

8. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I would never kill my pet, regardless of how hungry I may be. My pet would be just as hungry if I were in a survival situation. It's very doubtful that my dogs are going to try and hurt me. I would like to think that I would do the same. My dogs are family to me and have protected me in the past. I could never determine that their lives were less valuable than my own. I would try my best to find food for the both of us and make it through the post apocalypse together. It'd be a great time for me to teach my dogs a few things about survival, which I'm sure they'd catch onto quickly.

Florida Gypsy likes this.
  9. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I think a trained dog would come in very handy. He could help in protecting you, in finding food, in catching food, and many other areas. Dogs have natural survival instincts. Not only that they have pack mentality instincts. That means they will be loyal.

10. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    As long as I have food, my pet will have food to eat. Where ever I go in the post apocalyptic world, my dog will go with me. We are a team.

11. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Heck yes I'd save my pets. However, in that kind of situation, I would not anticipate full-on loyalty, especially from my cats. The dog might run off too, since he's the kind that puts his nose to the ground and vanishes faster than a Porsche goes from 0 to 60. But if my pets did stick around, I'd do my best to keep them healthy. In return, I'd get their warmth and protection. In the event that I find an animal to make a pet after the apocalypse, like a stray dog or wandering horse, then I'd consider that a great fortune and nurse them back to health if needed. Companions are important. And animals can carry quite a bit of gear.

12. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I think it helps to have a dog. You would have to hunt for sure in order to take care of yourself and the animal. The easiest way to do this is learn how to make jerky like the native Americans because this is the only way you can preserve enough food for your dog and yourself if needed. You would just have to make sure the jerky you give your dog is salt less, if you have any access to salt at all.

13. ally79

ally79 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    We recently lost a pet, a 15 year old pitbull that I definitely would have helped to survive. We now have two new pit puppies and I don't know...if we had to get on the move I would have to leave them behind. I have three kids, one of which is an infant so I couldn't carry along two ill trained (so far anyway ) puppies as well. We are working on getting them trained to be protection dogs though, it is just a slow process.

14. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    I'd keep my two cats with me haha, even if the world gets scorched in hell fire, I would still have my pets' back, because they would do the same for me if the situations were reversed. But I think we won't be able to travel a lot because, well, they're cats. In most apocalypse movies, the heroes usually have dogs to keep them company and would have their back when they are getting attacked by zombies and stuff. Cats would probably just lick themselves while I do all the work, but I think I'm gonna be fine with that :D

15. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Pets or rather ex pets are a problem in the country. People are for ever dumping cats that then go feral. People do not look after their dogs & train them properly, so they too go feral. I have come across feral dogs that I know are owned by someone, I have even been attacked by them. Some go completely feral & do not return to their owner. Others return to their owners after a killing rampage. Imagine what it will be like in a TEOTWAWKI situation?!
    Dogs can be good company & useful to your survival, IF they are trained to be of some use. There may be an argument for keeping them as pets only, but you will have to find the resources to feed them. A member of my family got married, & immediately purchased two young dogs, against our advice. Neither dog got trained because they did not have the time, & eventually one dog had to be sold. The remaining dog is a complete idiot, & not a snowball's chance in hell of being trained now by its owners.
    I used to have dogs, they were trained to hunt & guard. All of them ended up getting shot by raiders/intruders. I will not be getting another dog.
    Keith.

16. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    This is a easy one. In a survival situation or maybe the apocalypse as well, I think a well trained dog would be great. I take my dog training seriously. They are not a pet per say but a friend and a vital tool for survival. A well trained dog can be an extra eyes and ears that are several to one hundred times stronger then a human being. Dogs can be trained for hunting, security, sniffing out survivors, and the list goes on and on. If you know how or learn to train your dog properly, it will be a life saving companion.

All of the dog that I had in my lifetime, had a purpose other then barking when someone gets near the yard. Some breeds have instincts to hunt and others are pure runners and work horses. You just need to prove that you are the alpha male and they beneath you. They will learn to obey and back off when told to.

First choice of dog to have in a apocalyptic scenario would probably be a German Shepard, for security purposes. For hunting it would be a Labrador or Golden Retriever.

hKcehRbJrbveWROpkZGXSrFGVpvVRTgj.jpeg hKcehRbJrbveWROpkZGXSrFGVpvVRTgj.jpeg hKcehRbJrbveWROpkZGXSrFGVpvVRTgj.jpeg

BeautifullyBree likes this.
  17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I believe many people in an apocalypse will let their pets loose, or they might escape and wander off, whatever it is there will be a lot of feral animals out there, which we will have to guard against. ever tried to escape from a pack of wild dogs? no me neither!

BeautifullyBree and Keith H. like this.
  18. BeautifullyBree

43/47

Blog Posts:
    I'm loving all the input. I'll be the first to admit my dogs could be more trained. They know the basics sit, lay down, hush, house, and come here. I think to survive an apocalypse my dogs would need a lot more training. My cat is more trained than my dogs. He can count to three, sit, lay down, roll over, shake, play dead, jump, dance, freeze, beg, stand up on his back legs, and high five. Unfortunately, I don't think that will help him survive either.

Keith H. likes this.
  19. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    what we will all need post collapse is a guard dog, not necessarily an attack type dog, but a dog that will warn us when other people are about, dogs have 100 times better hearing than humans and can hear people where we will not.

Keith H. likes this.
  20. Kev Brown

Kev Brown Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    I agree with this 100%, some animals will die off quickly while the more resourceful ones will find food and learn to survive. Once they band together they will become another obstacle to deal with.

21. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes, whilst a lot of people in the beginning might still be alive, these packs of animals may keep their distance and just scavenge for food, later on if and when there are less people about they may become bolder and be more of a problem.

22. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Dogs naturally group together, either for survival, breeding or in order to rule the pack. No dog will be alone for long in the wild. Here in Australia they will even mate with the Dingo. Purebred Dingoes tend to be wary of humans in the wild, but interbred Dingoes can be unpredictable. Feral dogs also are unpredictable. I have been attacked by feral dogs, but never to date by a Dingo, though I did have a couple of Dingoes follow me for some distance once, very close, but it never came to anything. I was carrying a gun.

Think of all the different types of dogs that people keep as pets. I was once attacked by a German Shepherd Bull Mastiff cross. it took a deal of putting down. These packs would be in the towns & cities too, before they move into the countryside to prey on stock.
    [​IMG]
    This is an example of a Dingo cross, looking more wolf like than the average Dingo.

23. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have been attacked by a single dog in the past, on my motorcycle, a pack of dogs would be something else.

Keith H. likes this.
  24. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have seen foxes in the cities, usually around the local KFC !!!:D

Keith H. likes this.
  25. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Feral dog packs will be more dangerous than humans!
    I have been hunted a few times at work but each time out smarted them!

The big problem I found was even if you scared them away they seldom went far at all
    unless
    You have a gun and use it! then they bolt good and far!

26. ziskasun

ziskasun New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    That would be such a tough choice. Right now, we mostly live in a situation where we can just love our pets and care for them. In a post-crisis situation, people may be called upon to make difficult choices. Ultimately, having a "pet" in a survival situation is unwise and could put you and the human members of the family in danger. Look at what is happening in Venezuela. People are hunting cats and dogs. If you have one, and people are hungry enough, well, you put yourself at risk.

BeautifullyBree likes this.
  27. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    This is would be a difficult decision make. Presently it's easy to love and care for an animal. However in an apocalyptical situation, one might be forced to see things differently. There is the consideration if whether the pet would be better off on its own or would it be better off if would keep it totally in your care. The animal could be a liability to me; it's presence bringing added danger for me, on the other hand, it could bring added protection and even help in the hunt for food. I would have to make an assessment of these factors to see which if whether the pet would be a liability or an asset to me and choose the option which would be in my favor.

28. BeautifullyBree

43/47

Blog Posts:
    I value your opinion! I can see where the pet may cause great risks. I also see that if you were able to stay out of danger the dog may be a valuable tool. If you find another dog you can breed to get more. You can train them to hunt, attack, or gaurd. I agree the initial pet may be harder to keep, but there could be great value.

29. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    There's a town I lived in where feral dogs, don't know where they came from attacked and devoured livestock. The farmers when they couldn't take it anymore knowing it would be impossible to hunt the dogs, they only hunted at night, decided to poison them. That solved the problem.

Post-event if dog owners can't feed their dogs, they shouldn't expect them to stick around.

30. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I believe a lot of pets will either be let loose to fend for themselves or escape post apocalypse, in any event it would be wise to be aware and on the lookout for feral animals.
    at the very least, this could be a source of meat if none other can be found.

31. AlexM

AlexM New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I'm a little confused about the scenario. If there was an apocalypse, are we assuming that you are the only person left alive? Because if that's the case, what would an attack dog guard you against?

32. Coputere

Coputere New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    In my humble opinion, a pet is the equivalent to a child in the respects that one must consistently tend to them. You must make sure the confines of our storage unit is also one that contains wholesome food for your animals. If you desire to stock up on pet food then go right ahead but that will be expensive. You can use that money more appropriately by making sure you have enough food to sustain you and your human family. Unless pets are a source of food then they will not do well in the light of an event. The pet food will take up money and space, or you will sacrifice human food to feed them. If I were faced with these issues I would choose to do without.

33. thePENofGODx0x0xz7

thePENofGODx0x0xz7 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Pets can serve as natural alarms because they will sense danger first.
    Depending on how you train your pet will determine what they do during a social collapse.
    Pets will be able to spot small prey before you do so in many ways they will be helpful.

34. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I would keep my dog for many reasons. First and most important he is a part of my family and I respect that dog more than most people I know and don't know but know about. The other thing is their sense and ability to feel stuff. They have what we don't and together we would make great team. I am a dog lover and I think that dogs could be very useful in post apocalypse period. They have a natural alarm for things we do not feel and they can retrieve game so all around they are good companions. They can also protect you.

35. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    Most movies have dogs as the companions for the lone hero who has been surviving the disaster for a while now. Dogs are good at sniffing out food, can sense danger, and would be a great guardian while you sleep in a wasteland. Cats are harder I think, as they can take care of themselves and would most likely not want to move to different areas periodically, unlike dogs who would definitely follow their masters wherever they go. I'm a cat owner so I kinda know what they are like, and they are just solitary creatures that would find ways to survive without human intervention.

Keith H. likes this.
  36. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    I was bitten by my own dog it made us tighter lol no I loved mad Max until he was hit by a car and killed now I have scout post-6475-0-50364300-1423949344_thumb.jpg

This is Mad Max he was a boarder terrier whipit mix downloadfile-12-2.jpg
    This is scout he is a pattersdale terrier

37. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Dogs can carry equipment & food supplies, but any dog taken into the wilderness would have to be well trained. On a farm or at a retreat, a barking dog is acceptable if it only barks when intruders are about, but in the wilderness such a dog will give away your position. Also a dog has to be fed. Not a problem when there is plenty of game around, but if you went through a spell of scarce game, one of you may have to go without.
    Personally, I would not take a dog with me. One of my Daughters-in-law has a King Charles Spaniel that barks all day long, I kid you not! It will be put down if the shtf.
    Keith.

38. SouthernMama

SouthernMama Active Member
      33/58

Blog Posts:
    Even a well trained dog can turn on you, especially when hungry or scared.
    I would not want to share my family's food with a pet. The pet would have to be put down. I would not turn it loose, I would put it down.

39. Nela Civobeg

Nela Civobeg Member
      18/25

Blog Posts:
    Well, the barking could as well save you at times. They could warn you of dangers. Surely pets wouldn't be acting the same in post-apocalyptic world as they do today either. Their more primal instincts would probably liven up, but they would still be your trustworthy companion. They could help you track and hunt animals, and do many other great things. They would be a really nice addition if you ask me.

40. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    No more tea cup dogs

41. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Dogs are our extra arms and legs. Their teeth are our weapons. Our ears have no where near the sensitivity of a dog's and our noses are a bad joke compared to the keenness and fidelity of the dog's.

When we throw them rotten meat, they love us even more. They are loyal to us in times when we'd dare not trust another human.

Dog packs are hell, but that's why God gave us pump shotguns and 00 buckshot. "And unto Adam spake He saying, I have given you a companion dog -- not-to-mention the chatty thingy I made out of your rib. Now I give unto thee the shotgun. Do thou takest up thine shotgun and into it do thou spill balls of lead atop the smokey stuff. And firest thou the shotgun into the beasts come to rend thee. Adam was grateful and did fall upon his face before his God and was filled with thanksgiving." Genesis 14:?? ... wait ... 8:?? ... OK, so well, it's in there somewhere.

42. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:

^^^This.
    "Pets" will likely be left to fend for themselves.
    I recall several years ago in rural Ohio that kids waiting outside for the school bus were attacked
    and mauled by fido left to roam unattended.
    About 12 years ago my boy, then 5, was not far from the house in my woods when I saw him standing
    stark still staring at something.
    I went to him and saw a huge dog crouched ready to spring.
    I picked the boy and and walked backwards to the house as the dog followed still crouching and
    growling.
    I secured the boy and went back with a rifle and shot that dog dead and the other FOUR with it.
    One had a collar with an expired tag from the Cleveland area some 60 miles to the north.
    I don't know how many dogs and feral cats I've killed on my rural property.
    I love dogs and cats but not when they turn feral.
    People dumping unwanted pets should be jailed.
    I had a beagle that I sometimes kept in the house, sometimes tied to it's outside "home".
    Feral dogs mauled it badly.
    The vet bills to save the beagle was hundred of dollars.
    That poor beagle was so very timid after that it was useless as anything but a house pet.
    Eventually it died, probably it's injuries contributed.

43. Zyphir

Zyphir Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I would keep my pet pit-bull, he is not a barker and have a good alertness about him.

44. Wes Morgan

Wes Morgan Expert Member
      126/173

Blog Posts:
    I won't be going any where, I always keep at least 200 pounds of dog food for my Shepherd, he depends totally on me and I take that seriously, he eats before I do. I love my dog, he can hear a leaf fall and let me know about it. If things went really bad we would fight it out here.

45. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    KIMG0156.jpg

Scout will stay with me he is family.

46. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

How sweet...............

Our Maltese could live a month on 5 pounds of food.
    She don't even weigh 5 pounds.
    Good barker too.
    She couldn't hurt anything however.
    But I could.
    .357, .44 magnum, 41 magnum, .45 a.c.p., and more and lots, and lot, of booolets.
    upload_2017-6-21_18-46-16.png

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Come on say it. awwwwwwwwww how cute!

47. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    I gotta go count my boooooooooolits.
    Might be running a bit low.
    15,000 rounds of .22 rim fire ain't all that many.
    Now 5.56 is right at 1,000 rounds. That will last me a while.
    Of course if some dummy gets stupid with me some dummy might get
    shot and look like an acre of gopher holes.
    I sure don't want to do that.
    I WILL but I sure don't want too.
    I've seen way too much violent death by gun, knife, car, rope, battery acid.
    drain cleaner.........................

Ever see someone who drank Draino, bleech, acid, Sani Flush?????????

Ugly, ugly, ugly, and nothing can be done about it.
    Nothing.
    Throat swells shut...............they choke to death and TRY to stay alive.......

Awful, just awful.........

Then the black lady that took a bath in drain cleaner...............................

My GOD I'm getting flashbacks from ptsd again..................

A 14 year old girl took a bottle of aspirin ..................bled to death............

massive bleeding in the stomach..................

screw this chit I need a drink, a LOT of drinks.................

It was Christmas even............ I was 48 at the time, disabled from police work, coming home
    from night school at Kent State University.........
    beautiful night, 2 days before Christmas...............yeah it was a just gorgeous
    night
    yes sir...........all was at peace, no one was beating me, shooting at me, no one
    was bleeding, guts hanging out, all peaceful..............

BAM!!! EXPLOSION............................... it slams me out of my rare peaceful moment....

Sparks flew in the distance, fire ball went hundreds of feet high, a
    human head went over a telephone pole.....................

was that a human head I just saw........................was it?????????????? I'm sober,
    no drugs..........no illusion was it?????

really?????? Com' on God don't do this to me pleeeeeeeeeeeeease don't do this
    to me..............I've had enough ugly please GOD let them live, pleeeeeease........

but they didn't and I did what I always did and tried to help somehow.

A boy about 16 is UNDER the cab of his truck, just his legs sticking out
    and nothing anyone can do for him. Nothing................................

A girl in her car, smashed around a phone pole, her head hanging out
    the drivers window, she's 16 or so.............pretty............well she was pretty before
    her face got flattened...................eyes blown out her head.............

Her Irish setter beside her on the car floor gasping for air.........
    labored breathing...........rapid, gasping, frothy blood................
    can I help the doggy??????????????

Maybe I can at least save the freakin' dog.................maybe if it won't bite me...

but

it

isn't

a

dog!

It's my neighbors daughter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I must go to her mother and tell her that her baby girl is never coming home..

really???????????? no shit......really.............???????????
    They BEGGED me to go to the funeral..... 'cause I'm all together and they need someone
    to be with them that is all together

DAMN
    How does one ever, ever, ever, get past things like that????

I don't..................I just try to live with it..............I pray that God takes
    these memories away..........
    Nothing will.............................I sit her in front of the computer screen and I'm
    bawling, tears flowing................maybe I need finally do that.........
    soooo much death and suffering....................

I've seen cops that ate their gun and the wreckage it left behind....

broken families that will always ask "why didn't I see this coming????"

Someplace in Florida there is a special rehab for nurses, doctors, and cops...

wonder why?

My own detective bureau partner, you get close living in a car, an office,
    disarming criminals, fighting to stay alive one more day.....
    Dennis wasn't a big fella, 5-8 140 maybe but full of fight.
    Saved my very life 3 times he did.............
    then he put a bullet through his brain........
    I feel so guilty.......I should have stayed closer to him perhaps.......
    but I know better.
    I don't have the power of life and death.....I just don't...............

I have to go and talk to the God of my understanding and get out of this
    horrible depression..................horrible.....then there was officer Norman
    who flippin' died in his freakin' bath tub.................heart attack..............
    he was 42 years old..................Marine..........................Viet Nam...............wounded
    in the leg by a mine...................

Norm had balls like a bull.....would take a bullet for ya.....died in the bath tub he
    did....go figger...........

Think I'll get me a bottle of booze and fergit about life for a while.............

with any luck the diabetes will kill me..............without pain............natural......

No! Ain't gonna happen............................too many guns to shoot, buy,
    play with, too much ammo that needs put to good use.....my garden is doing well
    dammit I survived for some reason didn't I?

Someone must keep my fiance on her toes..................................................:>)

Spend HER money......she has a lot of it......pro'ly because she spends mine....:>)

The woman has been all over this planet, France and Africa 3 times ......
    She was #1 in sales in the entire world for her product and her travels cost her
    almost nothing.......gifts from her company don'cha'know.....

Her Ohio house is 7 bedrooms........her Florida house is 3 bedrooms......
    She is really good with money and could have retired years ago and could
    keep her income as it is right now.
    She won't retire.... she loves her "job".
    all that and she's BLIND........never slowed her down one bit.....how do
    you spell WINNER....?????

Blind, can't see anything over 4 feet away and that is WITH glasses.
    Don't even let her try to drive a car.....................no way.
    Well if she bounced off the telephone poles to stay in the roadway....................

We go to motion picture shows and sit in the 3rd & 4th row.......

She's blind and I'm deaf in the left ear.....
    .357 magnum....guy was trying to blow my head off with it but I grabbed the gun
    and pushed it out of the way....blew out my left ear drum...then I beat his asssssssssss
    but good!
    I was a nice fella, why did people try to shoot, stab, beat, run over,.......................................:confused::eek:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  48. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Glad that you feel comfortable enough with the crew at this website to be able to share all of the messed-up / not-fair / "Is God on a cigarette break?!" hell-crap that has been dumped into your life. Sounds like some demons stole a cement mixer truck, backed it up to your life, and let a truck-load of spiritual diarrhea flow into your back yard. Maybe God will drown those demons in it when you've pulled your time in this world and head to the Pearly Gates for some eternal R & R.

49. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    will drown those demons in it when you've pulled your time in this world and head to the Pearly Gates for some eternal R & R.
    We cops joked that we would go to heaven 'cause we've served over 2 decades
    in hell.
    Are there crooked cops?
    Sure there are and over the course of more than 20 years I got a couple
    of 'em fired!
    When I joined the force my dad wasn't very happy about it.
    My pop and his brothers ran moonshine when they were old enough to drive.
    Back then about 12 or so.
    15 kids in dad's family. Poor grandma. Tough bird she was.
    Died a week shy of 100 and never saw a doctor or dentist 'till in her
    late 80's.
    Her left side was paralyzed from strokes. Didn't see a doc until the last one.
    Dad simply said: "if you're gonna do this then do it right, be fair and
    above all be honest. Nothing worse than a crooked cop
    !"
    He's right and I saw crooked dealings too!
    We had only 2 black cops in a department of about 50 and half the
    city was black.
    We tried to recruit local blacks to no avail.
    It ain't cool to be "da man" I guess.
    My one buddy was from Oak Ridge Tn. and went back home to take a job
    on the police force.
    Fully 1/2 of Oak Ridge is illiterate, mostly blacks.
    During WWII they hired scientists with PH.D's and illiterates.
    Why illiterates?
    The powers that be at the time were making enriched plutonium or
    uranium and didn't want any that could read to understand even a scrap
    of paper left accidentally someplace.
    The blacks are still mostly illiterate and live in WWII style barracks so you have
    a city of half illiterate and half quite educated.
    There are, or was, 3 nuclear facilities in Oak Ridge.
    Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is an American multi-program science and technology national laboratory managed for the United States Department of Energy (DOE) by UT-Battelle. ORNL is the largest science and energy national laboratory in the Department of Energy system by surface[1] and by annual budget.[2] ORNL is located in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, near Knoxville.

My former police friend in Ohio went back to Tenn. and got a job as a copper.
    They have lateral transfers there and he went to the fire department.
    Pro'ly retired now I'd think.
    I took the civil service test there for fire and police and scored #2 out of
    over 200.
    They wanted me there badly but my wife then wouldn't have it.
    Same with Las Vegas police. I scored well on that test and wanted to move there.
    Free water, cheap electricity then maybe still is.
    I've been to Vegas 6 times and loved it but 3 days and nights is enough.
    Once came home $2,000 bucks richer too but that's rare.

50. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    1940s, 1950s, 1960s, ... They had some "illiterate" good'ol'boys / hillbillies working on sensitive stuff also -- things that make the balloons go up.

Decades pass. Uncle Sam wants to pop the top on some ancient nuclear ordinance to see if the evil is still good. Oops! WTF! Major modifications had been made vs. the engineering specifications. What now?! They look up the hillbilly retirees -- they're all over 80 / who knows how old. The old guys come in and take a look and say something like, "Yep, they said their #### didn't go up out west, so we had to make a bunch of changes to get this #### to work."

Proof that these folk were way past "not stupid". Show me a good'ol'boy who can take three old Camaro automatic transmissions that are worn out, take them apart, scavenge what still works, add a few new parts, and put together a fully functioning transmission, this to get the car he likes to get him by for three or five more years and I'll show you someone who in his youth could have been sent to university to become a thoracic surgeon.