Phoneless Communication

Discussion in 'Essential Items' started by Coputere, Jun 20, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Coputere

Coputere New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    How will you communicate in the arrival of disaster? What if all of the phone lines and networks are down and the internet is no longer accessible, what will be a good way of communicating?

2. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I think in this case, we would just go back to letters. Letters are probably the most efficient way of communicating long distances before technology. Short of that, it would probably have to be just personal talking. There really won't be a lot of potential for communication without the technology and cellphones. Maybe walkie-talkies would actually be a pretty effective way. Some of those can communicate miles.

3. evergreen

evergreen Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    I think some people would seriously be in trouble without phones, I know I've gotten completely reliable on mine. But I do remember having to "get in the car and visit someone" or call them instead of texting. I'm assuming at first we would all communicate with people near to us in the immediate area. After groups are formed perhaps we can establish letters and mail, but I believe that would be far off initially.

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't need to communicate post shtf. 1) All my family & friends know where to come if there is a major shtf situation, & 2) Communications can be picked up by other people & this could give your position away.
    Keith.

Coputere likes this.
  5. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    In a survival situation where there is no phone anymore, I guess communication will have to be in a halt. So if you are far from your loved ones then there is no other way but to wait if you cannot reach them by foot or any form of traveling. Even a strong earthquake can render every modernity inutile like electricity and water. We have experienced a strong earthquake in 1990 that momentarily halted communications and electricity so I guess we have to be prepared with that eventuality.

Coputere likes this.
  6. Coputere

Coputere New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Wow, I guess that not being able to communicate will pose the greatest difficulty for me. I know that in a chaotic event, I have a tendency to call everyone that I know whenever a major event happens. It will be tough to not know exactly where a majority of my family and friends are and if they are safe. I guess the prepper mentality is definitely survival of the fittest.

7. Tara

Tara New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Initially communication will be difficult. I believe that we would have to go back to the old forms of communication. Some type of Pony Express or telegraphs. Perhaps even using homing pigeons or ravens (nod to Game of Thrones) to send messages. Newspapers may make a comeback.

8. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    There are several options:

• Amateur radio. I cannot say enough good things about getting involved with said as part of disaster preparedness. Licensing varies depending on your nation, but it is not difficult to do so in the US. And it opens up a lot of doors for comms.
    • GMRS/FRS radios are easily licensed (GMRS) or unlicensed (FRS). They are more limited than ham radio, but still good.
    • CB Radio. Ah, yah, "ten-four good buddy". They are cheap, unlicensed, and work. While not optimal, it is a great way to get into radios.
    Cheers.

9. Karen Martin

Karen Martin New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Very good question Coputure: The measure that I would take if their was phoneless and internet communication in the case of a disaster, will be to start a fire for someone to see me or use some type of flashlight that I would have in my emergency kit to flag someone in my direction by waving it from side to side!

10. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Well you can build a makeshift radio for communication given you have the materials to do a AM/FM antenna. A standard antenna used to pick up FM radio is perhaps the simplest antenna of all. An FM radio antenna is nothing more than a thin piece of wire inside a metal casing. Here's how you do it:
    • Cut a speaker wire to a length of 6 feet. You might not need the entire length, but it's better to have too much wire than not enough.

• Strip the coating about an inch off one end of the wire with a pair of wire strippers. This will leave you with bare wire. Wrap the wire around the existing antenna or insert the wire into the hole for the antenna.

• Split the speaker wire on the other opposite end with a utility knife to get the two colors of wire separated from one another. Be cautious when doing this to avoid cutting the actual wires.

• Hold the wire flat against a wall in any spot you wish. Secure the wire in place with a wire staple or tape. You should have a foot of wire sticking up from the top of the staple or tape.

• Pull the two halves of the wire apart until they reach the point of the staple or tape. Spread the two halves apart and secure them to the wall.

11. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    this is a good one, I have never understood who I am supposed to be communicating with. any family members know where we are, and I certainly wont be attracting attention to myself in the event of some catastrophe.