Pictures of Medicinal Herbs

Discussion in 'Herbalism - Medicinal, Practical, and other Uses' started by judyd1, May 28, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. judyd1

judyd1 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I haven't been trained in herbs (is it herbology? Is that even a real word?) but I would love to know more about wild edible plants, or herbs for different uses. And most importantly, how to identify them in the wild.

I would really like a lot of input from others, so feel free to post pictures along with descriptions.

rYgY_TneTLbV208KArj_sC_pgkwsuexm.jpeg

Queen Anne's Lace grows wild in my front yard. The head of flowers can be lightly breaded and fried. It is also known as wild carrot, but you have to get the carrot portion (root) before the flowers bloom, because by that time, the root is too woody. The seeds are also good in soup, stew, and a good tea.

Like many other plants. there are dangers. The seeds and flowers should be avoided by pregnant women or those trying to get pregnant, as this is an old form of birth control.

Also, to the untrained eye, Queen Anne's lace looks a little like Hemlock, which is fatal if ingested.
    rYgY_TneTLbV208KArj_sC_pgkwsuexm.jpeg

Justin Baker likes this.
  2. kamar19

kamar19 Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    A really good book on Herbs with plenty of colorful pictures is a book called "the Encyclopedia of Medicinal medicine." I still use the copy I got back in 97, the book gives a short but powerful description of the most popular common herbs, as well as some rare herbs, it even shows you how to make the ointments, tinctures, and other herbal mixtures. One of my favorite herbal books of all time.