Pigeon Coups are the Chicken Coups of an urban apocalyptic future.

Discussion in 'Animal Husbandry' started by ZoeZoundBarrier, Jun 15, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. ZoeZoundBarrier

ZoeZoundBarrier Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:

In culinary wording, squab is a youthful household pigeon, regularly under four weeks of age, or its meat. The meat is broadly portrayed as posing a flavor like the dark meat of a chicken.

Take a gander at the most hated bird species, the pigeon and you may see a filthy, rodent like winged creature that scavenges off of anything it touches with its plumes while frequently dropping dung upon innocent bystanders. Yet what I see is a waste rummaging source of protein wealth .... A nourishment biomachine that lives off of remnants of our own junk perfectly. One so productive that we can't execute its extinction effectively. Pigeons can be more correctly viewed as immediate waste to-sustenance converters, similar to consumable weeds that contain efficient amounts of protein, even their feces can be utilized as a type of manure. In my opinion, Pigeons just might be a main food source in the event of an urban disaster.

What else can help us survive but the survivor itself. The maintainer of a pigeon coups of the rat of the air, or sky roach and inner city starvation becomes impossible.

2. ZoeZoundBarrier

ZoeZoundBarrier Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Wow I guess this idea is too far fetched maybe? What, no squab lovers on this site? Well I'd eat them.

3. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I had not thought of raising or hunting pigeon in an urban area. I don't know why. I grew up with fellas going pigeon hunting all the time. But, you are right. In a small space, raising pigeons is an ideal source of food.

ZoeZoundBarrier likes this.
  4. DecMikashimota

DecMikashimota New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I think that this can be a good idea. What technical difficulties you might come across by breeding pigeons for food might be, I'm unsure. But Pigeon keeping has been around e for over 10,000 years I guess pigeon keeping not being a known way to provide a food source, hasn't allowed it to grow in popularity. I say go for it, especially since they can reproduce at accelerated rates independent of people.

5. ZoeZoundBarrier

ZoeZoundBarrier Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for acknowledging that fact. I just thought that in an urban area crisis where food sources were scarce, that paying attention to what alternatives our surroundings give us might help us find more solutions. Despite how unorthodox they may seem. another fun fact that makes them so accessible is the fact that they are excluded from the Migratory Bird Act. That means that you are allowed to do whatever you want with them since city pigeons are regarded as pests.