Planning Housekeeping Activities

Discussion in 'Efficient Living' started by iamawriter, May 26, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. iamawriter

iamawriter Well-Known Member
      88/115

Blog Posts:
    Running a home is like running a business. A small part of running a home is housekeeping. Housekeeping activities need to be divided periodicity wise for efficient living.
    Some activities are done on a daily basis such as sweeping, cooking, dusting, washing vessels and washing toilets.
    I do my clothes washing in the washing machine once a week and then there is changing the bed linen and that is also done once a week.

Cobwebbing is what we do on a monthly basis.

The venetian blinds are cleaned once a month and so also the glass windows

We do not have the bother to paint the house as the walls have a marble finish and they are washed once a year

The watering of the garden also has a schedule that covers the entire garden by dividing it into parts. Planting and repotting is done as and when the need arises.

Cleaning the compound is done one once a week. We have an incinerator where dry garbage is burnt and the wet garbage goes into compost pits.

This more or less covers our housekeeping activities.

How do you go about your household chores?

Attached Files:

2. amelia88

amelia88 Well-Known Member
      75/99

Blog Posts:
    I do need to be more organized with this, but I love what you said about running a home is like running a business. I absolutely feel that you do need to treat the running of the home like work - because if you slack off, things pile up quickly...and it doesn't take long to get disorganized in a family with kids if you're not keeping up with chores every day.

One benefit of my situation right now is that we move about every 3-4 years as a result of my husband's career, so we are constantly refining the possessions we own to what we really, truly need - survival at its' finest.

iamawriter likes this.
  3. iamawriter

iamawriter Well-Known Member
      88/115

Blog Posts:
    Clearing clutter is so important. That could be scheduled which I do and in your case you are kind of forced to get rid of stuff rather than tug it along. My sister is famous for collecting junk as we call it. Her kids get mad at her but she will not let them touch it. They have given up now :) They know she is sentimental and so have decided not to make her unhappy. One room is dedicated to her junk:rolleyes:

4. amelia88

amelia88 Well-Known Member
      75/99

Blog Posts:
    My husband is a bit like that and is the sentimental type. He likes keeping things like cards or even things like ticket stubs from vacations and stuff like that. Personally I just don't see the point as there's not enough space if you keep everything that has ever been sentimental.

It's hard though! I've just tried over time to be more and more minimalist so I only keep a few really sentimental things.

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    modern houses aren't big enough for such luxuries, we have to do a run to the landfill once a month to deposit all the plastic packaging which cannot be recycled here.

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    It is usually the matriarch who is the manager of the home. Not only with the housekeeping but also with the finances. Our routine is cleaning the house in the morning and also in the afternoon, that's sweeping and mopping the floor not to mention laundry and other daily house activities. For weekends, bathing the dogs, marketing and other weekly chores. But what's more difficult than the house chores is the choosing of menu for the day. Sometimes I run out of ideas on what the menu would be. I'd say it's not easy to manage the home, you got to be smart.... like me, lol.

7. Scarlet

Scarlet Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Running a home is a great responsibility of women in asian countries. It is our main task as women in the house. I agree of what you said in scheduling the household chores. Not only it is a wise thing to do but also it is efficient.

8. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    Thats an excellent level of organization by the OP. I tend to be spontaneous with regard to my housekeeping duties but graduate my activities starting with the hardest like doing the laundry to the least involving like sweeping. I am busy during weekdays therefore I perform there chores on Sundays but I have taken note and will spread each activity throughout the week.

9. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Running a house is really like running a business. Some much different areas to cover, cleaning, gardening, maintenance, food, travel, entertainment, bill, child care and schooling among other considerations. Here, in many instances, the wife and the husband usually enter into a type of partnership into the running of the household and the husband will probably help with the cleaning and the doing of household chores.

10. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    Lol, we have 4 young kids. & the house can can be a daily disater zone. Heheh