Preparing for the Unthinkable

Discussion in 'Newbie Corner' started by Lakeisha Brown, May 30, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Lakeisha Brown

Lakeisha Brown New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I read this on a website:
    Learn and train your mind to expect the totally unexpected:

Disaster situations can change everything in an instant, but no matter how much we know this actual disaster and survival events will surely freak us out. Training ourselves to prepare and practice all sorts of drills for various horrors is great way to prepare us for such situations. You also have to keep in mind that there will always be a big possibility of something strange, weird, and frightening things to happen when in a survival situation. By doing this you will eventually condition your mind to accept such scenarios.

I am still a newbie and I was wondering could one of the survival gurus, unlike myself, explain in their own words about preparing mentally for survival. I have a blockage when it comes to hunting and other things. I really need to break that barrier.

2. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I think the key thing here is being open-minded. Not matter what, you merely have to go with the flow. As you've said, disasters change everything. Normal is flipped upside down and skewed in such ways we won't know what's normal anymore. That's what makes catastrophes so...catastrophic. Yet, there's always that one person who doesn't freak. Why? Because they've adopted a mindset that doesn't limit their perspective. You do train your brain to do this a number of ways. One is practicing tolerance. The other is through creativity, critical thinking and analysis. Lastly, simply having to forcibly adapt to such disaster scenarios (i.e. the war veteran) makes the brain behave differently.

Moroccanbeauty2266 likes this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Lakeisha, I was a primitive skills instructor, & I still teach in our group & through videos & articles on my blogs, but I have never considered myself a guru. Being born in the country, hunting & trapping for food was a natural part of life for me. Making camps was what every country kid did. I really don't think that I am able to advise you how to get your head around these things, I think the only way to do it is for you to learn how to stalk wildlife, use a camera if it helps. Learn how to use & be safe with a firearm by joining a local gun club. Watch some videos on field dressing game & butchering. I feel sure that once you have gained the knowledge & learnt the skills, in time of need you will be able to perform such tasks that will help you & yours survive.
    Keith.

lonewolf likes this.
  4. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    What Keith said!
    and
    Run what if scenarios! they do not have to be any specific event just choose one per week and run it through
    What started it? then what knock on effects there will be and how to cope with them!
    Just thinking them through and how to handle the consequences will mentally prepare you!

And you can go the other way and work out your needs!

5. Lakeisha Brown

8/23

Blog Posts:
    Thanks! The crazy thing is I'm a marksman in the Air Force. I love guns but I just don't hunt. I think it's a city thing. I will definitely run some scenarios with my dad and brothers to help me improve. I just learned how to fish before my grandfather passed so that is a good skill that will help. Thank you both for the advice!

Keith H. likes this.
  6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    its only "unthinkable" if you don't think about it!!:D:p;):cool:o_O:eek:

7. Lakeisha Brown

8/23

Blog Posts:
    LOL....I know but the person I am won't allow me not to think about it!

8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    that's my point, most people DONT think about them until its too late.

9. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    For me, it is cultivating something I saw in my dad. He was a teenager in the depression and was called up during WW II. I think it is the mind set, that when things get tough, you do what you have to do. It isn't a sanction to do anything immoral or illegal, but determination to do what you need to do to get through the situation or crisis. Once a person makes up his mind to do this, one becomes very task oriented and focused. If an emergency happens, know that you will do what needs to be done to survive.

Moroccanbeauty2266 likes this.
  10. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I agree with you prepping for something and it happening are two different things. Being prepared actually helps a lot tho. That's really the best you can do is be prepared. You have to really keep a positive attitude because your going to be in a messed up situation all the way around. I'm not a expert at this either and hope I don't have to deal with it, but I would try to get back to civilization as soon as possible even if I had to build it myself, or with anyone who would help me with it.

11. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I agree with you tb65. I guess I was thinking about myself and how important it is for me to get my thinking correct so that I would be more apt to do what needed to be done so that I would survive. And, hopefully, be able to help others along the way if possible.

12. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    You have to be adaptable to any given situation. I know it's easier said than done, but i think it will truly help you in the long run. Just be open minded and stay calm and collected even though the situation is breaking you on the inside, just don't dwell on the negatives instead think of ways on how to change the situation for the better. In times like survival situations, it will truly test your strength, especially your inner strength, keep your hopes alive and strive to get past the tragic situation.

13. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I would be more freaked out about the people I know at that first moment. Unknown is what scares people and I believe when I get rid of unknowns I would manage myself pretty well, after that first panic attack of course :) I read about some blockages and stuff like that. When shit hits the fan you either break the barriers or you die. Since people have that survival instinct by birth I guess you will have to wait and see what will happen but I am guessing that killing an animal to survive is not going to be a big deal. I say this as a vegetarian!

14. GrecianShamrock

GrecianShamrock New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I never realized how much I wasn't prepared until I joined this site. I'm really not and have learned little things here and there but am overwhelmed. It's scary to think about what would happen if S*** hit the fan

15. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I agree with those who have said that in order to be prepared for the unthinkable you have to be open-minded and have a lot of imagination of what-if scenarios.
    By imaging all the possibilities that could happen you challenge yourself in temrs of how you would handle that given situation in theory.
    Now being prepared for the unexpected has a lot to do with your own life experiences. Maybe you have already experienced something very drastic that was also unthinkable to you at the time but you managed to deal with it. By keeping those kind of experiences in mind you accumulate all the "tools & life skills" you have and through that awareness you believe in your capability to overcome the unthinkable. Of course, just going out in the wilderness for a couple days would also be a good way to train your brain for such scenarios.
    Everyday we are confronted with foreign people, foreign situations and foreign experiences but these give us many learning opportunities if we perceive them as something positive!