Pressure Cookers

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by Koala, Jun 6, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    Pressure cooker allows us to do pressure cooking which is a process where we tend to cook the food in some sort of liquid - most often water, inside a sealed pot. Because the steam from the boiling water gets trapped within the cooker it makes the temperature rise faster.

It, therefore, saves energy because it cooks faster compared to the standard cooking on the stove. You can literally cook almost any food you want inside a pressure cooker.

What's your opinion on pressure cookers? Do you perhaps use one to prepare your meals?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think pressure cookers are very good. We used to use one on our wood fired stove. But there came a time when we had to replace the rubber seal, & could not get one, so we don't use a pressure cooker anymore. It is now a water container in the chook yard.
    This is the problem with modern conveniences, sooner or later they break down. No good for long term survival/self sufficiency.
    Keith.

3. Harrysung

Harrysung New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    In my house, the primary function of a pressure cooker is for cooking beans. Pressure cooker made my love for beans to increase, because before the use of pressure cooker, cooking beans was usually an uphill task because it takes time and resources.

4. iamawriter

iamawriter Well-Known Member
      88/115

Blog Posts:
    Pressure cooking is indispensable in our kitchen. We cook red or boiled rice which takes a long time to cook unless we put it in the pressure cooker. There are a few other things we use the pressure cooker for. We use it as a steamer with the weight removed.

5. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    My pressure cooker was made n the forties big heavy its a must have its main use here is for canning evry thing we grow fruit veggues berrues is canned and used threw the year each season old stock used first new stocked place in back anythung you can buy in a storein a can has been presure cooked only at home you use mason jars pints uarts and even gal size nothing better than eat your own growing when others wish they had 95% of our food comes off our far

6. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    Nice, I see most of you actually use one and I'm really glad because we're recently purchased a pressure cooker ourselves. We got it around a month ago and now I can't imagine cooking without it! It really makes a big difference and I even saw it on the electricity bill. We saved money and the food is absolutely delicious.

My favorite things to cook in it are stews with beef meat and some vegetables. The meat comes out so perfect and tender. My partner always compliments it :p In my opinion, it's a great product.

7. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    I use a pressure cooker quite bit.
    Can make an old boot tender.
    Not that I eat old boots.:confused:
    It cooks a roast faster and more tender.

8. overcast

overcast Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    It's hard to make use of the modern cookers in the situation where you have to cook in open. I guess in rain forests and the places where it rains the most we can't really use them. In such case we will be even harder to find anything that burns. But any wooden forests where you can find place to cook, I'd say pressure cooker can be one good option. I'd say in those scenarios it's worth keeping around.