Properly set up a makeshift candle lantern in the wilderness

Discussion in 'All Resources About Fire' started by Endure, May 20, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    A candle is not as obsolete as you may think. These ignitable wicks embedded in flammable wax can come in handy for those unlikely circumstances you don't have a flashlight available to use. Anyway, to create your own makeshift candle lantern you need to make some coverage for your candle first , an empty soda can should do. Now, grab the soda can and cut it open with a switchblade through one of its sides, next, bend the cut layers outwards and put inside the candle like is shown in the following image :

eqoPBIg.png

Of course, you need to fit the candle inside. The can layers should provide enough protection from elements like air or rain, therefore your flame will linger with ease.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. QtheMyst

QtheMyst Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I think candles are still really important, they are easy and quick to grab in an emergency. They are great in a pinch and can help you set up a better light source in the meantime. Thanks for this tutorial, that little lantern is actually quite cute, and a helpful idea for people like me in rainy climates!

3. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Dollar tree sells emergency candles 6 in a box tea candles by the pack and small holders for all types of candles whichthey have all kinds of. We make thosecandle lights in cub scouts

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Candles are good for a light in camp for reading & writing, they are good for drying out damp kindling to make fire, they can be used for warmth in a confined place, & you can use then to seal repairs ti a canvas or oilcloth shelter. I also use beeswax to rub on linen thread for sewing.
    Keith.