Pup tent

Discussion in 'Natural, Temporary, and Permanent Shelter' started by Corzhens, May 21, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    When we moved to an apartment, we had the vintage pup tent in a mix-up and we suspect it was taken by my husband's sister. It was an old tent made of thick canvas that is khaki in color. My husband said that it is used by the boy scouts of yore. He was keeping it for camp outs and emergency cases.

The pup tents now are very light and sturdy. However, it cannot block the cold weather particularly when it rains. The old khaki pup tent would give you confidence it terms of protection since even when it is raining there is assurance of safety and protection. I wonder why they don't make those vintage pup tents anymore.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Not made because there is no market!

I found small modern lightweight tents are great if covered by a huge lightweight tarp!
    I use the large tarp as shade and shelter, blocking/restricting the open ends in the wind/rain.
    The lightweight tents then do an excellent job as a second layer of protection! even the cheap crappy ones do well under a tarp!

A camping secret is two layers! two thin layers are better than a single thick layer!
    A large lightweight tarp gives you some living space out of the rain or hot sun!
    Tents last soooo much longer as well!
    Tarp needs to be UV stabilized though if it's to last!

3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    These cotton canvas tents are heavier to carry than the modern nylon ones, but they are still being made for Living History enthusiasts pretty much worldwide. I prefer canvas to nylon, plus of course I am an 18th century living historian involved in historical trekking, so using anything but natural fibre equipment is out of the question. We actually have two of the same type of tent you are referring to, both 18th century military wedge tents. Great if you have transport, but no good for carrying on foot. We used ours at Historical Rendezvous, but have not attended now for some years.
    For carrying on foot I prefer to use my oil cloth/oilcloth. It enables me to use a fire for warmth, I can see what is outside, it is much lighter than a full tent & much easier to set up. I can also cook on the fire without having to leave my shelter.
    Keith.

OneFoot likes this.
  4. QtheMyst

QtheMyst Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Very good point Keith about fireproof fabrics. I don't know that everyone has this requirement but it's certainly something to keep in mind. I actually go to a lot of fire dancing gatherings, and something like this might be perfect to bring as an added precaution. I generally prefer a lightweight nylon tent myself, but I think a fireproof tent might be a nice addition to my collection.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    My oilcloth is not fire resistant, but they do make tent fabrics (all cotton or cotton synthetic mix) that are fire resistant. Often used in making North American Indian style tipi.
    Keith.

6. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    My oilcloth is not fire resistant, but they do make tent fabrics (all cotton or cotton synthetic mix) that are fire resistant. Often used in making North American Indian style tipi.
    Keith.

7. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Dicks sporting goods sell a well made pup tent its not canvas but is a heavy. Thick fabric. I forget the cost or maker but when i saw it i was tempted to buy. Good canvas tarps can be found at tractor supply stores.

8. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    A tent can be insulated in many ways quick easyway is too use moveing blankets these can be found at harbour freight cheap this month ( oct ie) they are 2.99 a piece

9. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Easy fireproof to use for stovepipe is to use a top quality welding blanket it works by sewing it inside and outside to a hole made in tent id say for long term a canvas walltent would be the best