Random Thoughts on Farming, Gardening and Gathering Food

Discussion in 'Farming and Gardening' started by Aneye4theshot, Jan 24, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Aneye4theshot

Aneye4theshot Expert Member
      125/140

Blog Posts:
    To farm, you need a couple of essential items such as sunlight, water, seeds and a place to grow your new crops. You can use simple tools like sticks with points on them to irrigate water and dig out places to plant seeds. The best way to plant seeds would be in a column like a system because it's easiest to water them that way. You need also to plan on how big your farm is going to be depending on how many people you have that have time to spend working in it. If it is just you trying to farm make sure you plant enough plants so you can maintain them, but not too so much your crops start to die because you cannot tend to them. Have a system in place when it is time to harvest and a place to store your crops.

upload_2016-1-24_23-31-56.png
    Make sure the place you store your crops is safe from intruders and animals. Great ways to gather quick foods like insects would be to look under tree bark and flat rocks where bugs like to hide. You would be looking for grubs or crickets because these are safe to eat. You can also scavenge for nuts and berries but be careful not to gather a bunch of poisonous berries or nuts so it'll be a good idea to carry around a survival handbook on what to eat in the wild. A good way to farm a large quantity of vegetables other than having one big farm would be to have a couple of smaller farms so that you can manage each of them individually. You can also garden both indoors and outdoors to give yourself security in your crops. Having a garden both indoors and outdoors will give you back up crops in the event that something happened to one set or the other. In survival situations there are too many variables to plan for them all but having a backup is never a bad thing!

hollowgirl likes this.
  2. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    The past several summers I have tried gardening. And each summer I learn things I didn't know before. This year I have learned that it takes a lot more vegetables than I planned to feed myself and to share with neighbors. I also learned to work smarter than harder and than my three seasons room might be another place where I can grow veggies and herbs.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    depending on the size of your "group", we probably wont be "farming" in the conventional way, more akin to smallholding or allotmenting in the UK, its going to be on a smaller size, and it will only be the size you can control and maintain security of.
    most "farming" to begin with post event will be nothing more than subsistence type growing.

4. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    If you can rotate crops in different areas of your garden efficiently and can let part of it lay fallow for a season to regain (let clover or some other similar plant grow), you should be able to get good production out of your garden. In my climate, tomatoes (especially), peppers, eggplant, squash and corn grow well along with berries of all sorts. It would be considered subsistence-style growing to be sure but we don't have a need to buy any vegetables from June-October and it is cost-effective and provides a measure of security.

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    crop rotation will be paramount in a post event world, we wont have chemical fertilisers as those all have to be imported here, we will have to go back to the old fashioned ways of doing things, i.e. NOT "intensively".

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Farmers in the rural area have their own system and methods for their crops. First is the procurement of seeds as planting material - be it rice or corn or some other crops, can also be vegetables. The preparation of the beds is the most costly in terms of labor so they sometimes use the carabao or cow for plowing the field. Plowing also eradicates the weeds. With manure as organic fertilizer, it is applied on the soil 2 weeks before planting to give it time to merge with the soil.

The part of growing the crops is the easiest because the farmer just oversee and doing nothing at all. If he is not lethargic from drinking the previous night, he can at least remove some weeds on the beds. And when the harvest time comes, there would be some hands to help in the actual harvesting and storing the produce or in preparing the harvest for bringing to the market. Farming is a good endeavor to think that you are producing food not only for you and your family but also for other people.

hollowgirl likes this.