Roads post catastrophe.

Discussion in 'Urban Survival' started by lonewolf, Jun 5, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    in a country like the UK(same in US I would think) where the majority of the population either drives or uses public transport, don't just assume post catastrophe that you can drive anywhere you like.
    for a start, once the panic sets in the roads will become giant car parks within 1 hour or two, there will be accidents, collisions, breakdowns, and general mayhem, people running out of fuel and losing their tempers .
    secondly all motorways and A roads in and out of cities and large towns will be designated by the government as "Essential Service Routes" and closed to all except the military and emergency services. if you get out in time you may almost certainly have to use unclassified and back country roads, not all of these are signposted and your Sat.Nav. may not work.
    thirdly in those locations where they still have control, they may well set up curfews and road blocks, nobody gets in, nobody gets out.

Keith H. and John Snort like this.
  2. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    Whilst talking about roads post apocalypse even prior to the "event" transport disruption could cause problems for people living in cities. It could be the result of a road, railway track or bridge being blown up or being blocked by protesters in case of civil unrest. Prices of basic necessities would sky rocket and if anyone didn't stockpile food, they'd have it rough.

lonewolf likes this.
  3. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    it dosent even have to be anything active, roads will soon start deteriorating and cracking, just last winter 2 roads not far from me were undermined by river water and collapsed into the rivers, of course they were repaired but what if there was no one left to repair them, gullies get blocked, trees fall down, rivers burst their banks,these will block roads and you will have to find another route.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I have seen the movie San Andreas where the scene of disaster was factually depicted from my point of view. The roads were blocked with unmoving vehicles and people were running in all directions. It was chaos everywhere especially if you would add the ruins of the buildings, flying debris and other objects. And finding another route is not that easy since people were confused, short of going on a riot. But surely, that scene of confusion will be followed by riots a day ro 2 later when people realize the lack of food and the failure of authorities to control the situation.

Maybe that movie has given us a lesson when disaster of that magnitude strikes. Get away from the roads and it is better to stay in open areas where there are no structures that would collapse. Maybe the forest is safer for the trees are not that easy to destroy by an earthquake.

5. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    When there are events of these devasting proportions many people will panic even though they have had preparedness training. Consider that situation like the massive traffic blockage which would be hampering reasonable exit capabilities would have many persons going over the edge because they would be thinking that there may be no way out of the crisis.

6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    most major roads out of the cities will resemble giant parking lots within a few hours of an event, which is why I seldom use motorways or major road systems unless it is very early morning, I generally take back county roads and go across country instead.

MKprepper likes this.
  7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    about 10 years ago we had a major "protest" about the then price of road fuel, refineries were blockaded and no deliveries got to the filling stations or the supermarkets.
    fuel ran out in 24-36 hours and the supermarkets ran out of staples like bread and milk, there was general mild panic, the stupid thing is this was advertised well in advance but still nobody bothered to stock up.
    also everyone seems to run their tanks dry, I always top up when the fuel guage gets to half and have done so for the last 40 years.

MKprepper likes this.
  8. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    by good tires with clealted tread put 1/4 can of stop leak in each tire fill with air to 35lbs drive slowly watching for stuff on road axe. and chain. in car to clear road

9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I know from personal experience roads will start cracking up and disintegrating immediately after the first winter storms, without anyone repairing them they will only get worse.
    give it a year to 18 months and most will be unusable, that's if you had any fuel anyway.

MKprepper likes this.
  10. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    if we have to leave here the old 6x6 will get us there

11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    maybe in America, wouldn't get far in rural north Devon, we have granite walls, deep ditches and narrow lanes(about the size of farm tracks).

Keith H. likes this.
  12. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Most of AUS never freezes enough to destroy the roads!
    Flooding will but that can be decades away!
    A lot of our roads only get/need maintanence every 5-10 years!

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    roads will soon start breaking up post collapse from any number of reasons, flooding, heat, ice and snow, winter storms, the slightest crack will allow water and earth to ingress, weeds will start growing, then shrub, before long you've got a sapling growing in the middle of the road, without anyone to do anything about it whats to stop it??
    what about fallen trees? if there is no one to remove them the road will be blocked for years to come.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    MKprepper likes this.
  14. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    A lot depends on the amount of traffic the road gets!
    Post Apocalypse there will be little traffic!

Fallen trees! one word "CHAINSAW"

15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    read my reply again, I said "what if their is no one to remove them".

16. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    If there is no one to remove them then logically there is no one that needs them removed!

They are freaking trees not concrete walls or gaping chasms!
    Cut them, drag them, burn them, pile dirt around them and drive over!
    After one particular storm a few years back I had several dozen large trees across my driveway (4.5km long driveway)
    A snatch strap and a chainsaw and 2 hours work all clear!

A defeatist attitude will surely get one defeated!

17. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    winch axe chainsaw. all wheeldrive. roads will be there just will have to go slower and carefully

18. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    that's the whole point, without anyone to repair them the roads WONT be there!(they definitely wont be in Britain for sure).
    roads get undermined, roads have landslides, roads have fallen trees, never mind normal winter storms.
    we could come along some time after SHTF and find roads are impassable, you cant just go off road in England even with a 4x4, although if your lucky you could use the "green lanes" that's if they are useable post event that is, a lot of them are overgrown even now.
    anyway, post SHTF where are you going to go?

19. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Fuel and oil must be used only when its a must to do so no one will be makeing more chainsaw is great fast easy yes but only use these when your need to survive and live is there saw& axe best when in no hurry winch or comealong is amust have allso

20. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    fuel and oil post collapse will be in short supply with no more being refined, what there is is what there is, when that is gone there is no more.
    stocks even personal stocks are finite, when its gone its gone.

21. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    If there is no more fossil fuel I will just convert to wood!
    To change to a pneumatic motor you need to change the cam to full speed 1-1 add a little plumbing and put a wood burning furnace in!
    A straight six can be converted to a 2cylinder 2 stroke air compresser and a 4 cylinder two stroke pneumatic drive motor!
    Really simple really, 2 cylinders compress air, furnace adds energy then drives four cylinders!
    Not quite as convienent but no electricity needed to start or run!

22. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    cant be bothered with all that, anyway I wont be going anywhere post collapse and the roads wont be drivable after one British winter.
    staying close to the homestead.

23. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Where we live we need a 4WD anyway, my youngest son has one, we have a property 4WD, a 4WD we use to get to town plus an SUV. Plus we are looking for another 4WD. Roads around here are dirt. Sealed roads are still country roads & with a 4WD you can get around road blocks. Blocked roads are not likely to occur this far from any major city. If you have a good large 4WD like we have with a bull bar, you can push other vehicles out of the way if you have to. Even without a bull bar you can push them with the rear of your vehicle without disabling your own vehicle. We also have a manual winch & a wallaby jack, so pretty much all the basics are covered. I have driven right around Australia & driven 4WDs in all terrains including the tropics & consider myself lucky to have had the experience. We lived in the Territory for 10 years, & I spent a lot of time rescuing other people who were stuck out bush. We had three 4WDs in the Territory, a Suzuki, & two Toyota Landcruisers. We had a system, when it was too wet for the heavy Landcruisers, we used the Suzuki, if the Suzuki got bogged I used a horse. If my horse got bogged I stayed at home.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]
    My eldest son at the wheel back in the Territory. To the left of the steering wheel was a rifle rack for my 45/70 Marlin underlever.
    [​IMG]
    One of three horses I had at the time. I wore a holstered revolver at all times & carried the 45/70 in a saddle boot when on horseback. Those were the days.
    Keith.

24. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I drive a Citroen Berlingo multispace 1400cc petrol, its what is called an MPV here or multi purpose vehicle, its like a van with windows. gives good mileage, I can get loads in the back and you'd be surprised at the places it can get to or drive down.

Keith H. likes this.
  25. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    It would not surprise me my friend, a good driver can take a two wheel drive places where an inexperienced driver could not take a 4WD without getting bogged. As in all things, experience counts for a lot.
    Keith.

lonewolf likes this.
  26. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    well, living where I do we don't have any major highways, the motorways end over 30 miles away and we don't use them on a daily basis like some do.
    our local backcountry roads are what I use daily, deep narrow westcountry lanes with grass growing in the middle, granite walls either side and deep ditches.

Keith H. likes this.
  27. MKprepper

MKprepper Expert Member
      168/173

Blog Posts:
    Alot of roads near me (S/E Rural UK) still have not seen repair since the last big winter storm, maybe its because im a little way out in the country but im also only about 60 miles from London.
    I dont drive so im either stuck or im walking/cycling to a "safer" place.
    Would be Great to have some prepper buddies in the UK to help eachother out.

Keith H. and lonewolf like this.
  28. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    a lot of the back country roads around here haven't been repaired for several years, some of them are as rough as old boots!!
    walking cycling post SHTF get off the roads, roads will be too obvious and make good ambush places.

MKprepper likes this.
  29. MKprepper

MKprepper Expert Member
      168/173

Blog Posts:
    yeah im thinking walking across country or steal a motorbike of some kind maybe. haha i tend to have older friends anyways, young people seem to waffle alot of bollocks and bring stress lol

Keith H. likes this.
  30. MKprepper

MKprepper Expert Member
      168/173

Blog Posts:
    im 33 how old are you Wolf? and where are you based?

31. MKprepper

MKprepper Expert Member
      168/173

Blog Posts:
    sounds like Heaven :)

32. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    my kind of heaven.

MKprepper likes this.
  33. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I wish I could put some photos on here for you to see of the area but I cant- no camera and I wouldn't know how to do it anyway.

34. MKprepper

MKprepper Expert Member
      168/173

Blog Posts:
    no worries buddy;)

35. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I remember those English country roads well, & still miss them. Australian country roads for the most part are wide with no ditches, but can get pretty rough. Nothing a 4WD can't handle though. But I don't see us having to leave our forest home.
    Keith.

MKprepper likes this.
  36. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I generally stay off motorways unless it is early(really early) mornings, just yesterday the M5 was closed northbound for hours because of a truck accident-3 people injured-I find going across country easier and more interesting.

Keith H. likes this.
  37. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Same here, hate motorways & cities. The nearest city to us is very small, & the motorways leading into it have very little traffic. We do not touch a motorway from our direction, country roads only. This does of course mean that we are sometimes cut off if there are sudden heavy rains. 4WD access on the back roads is sometimes available, but the local creek has no bridge & floods too deep to ford. However, we would not have it any other way. The less people coming out this way the better.
    Keith.

38. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I feel the same way, we live in an area most people would call remote, its not a tourist area, its a farming area and we still have one of the last agricultural markets in the area.
    we live 30 miles from the END of the motorway system, I know that not far in American or Australian terms but its far enough to be remote to most. the nearest large city is hundreds of miles away, lots of rivers and bridges in Devon which flood a lot in the winter, just going off road will cause someone a lot of trouble, as we have fields not prairies or outback and these fields go nowhere and are enclosed by high hedges and stone walls.
    we also have to remember that once SHTF the government (if TPTB still exist) will CLOSE all motorways and main roads, these they have designated as ESR's or Essential Service Routes and all civilian traffic will be BANNED from using these roads, that's not just vehicles that will be banned but motor cycles, cyclists and even walking, so anyone intending on bugging out from a big city will have to find an alternative-and therefore longer- route.

Keith H. likes this.