Scenario Question.

Discussion in 'Wilderness' started by Keith H., Jun 6, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    This is NOT a trick question, you simply have to answer the direct question & nothing else. As part of training many years ago, we were separated into groups & asked to answer this question.

You are among a large group of people who have survived a ship wreck. You have made it to shore with enough equipment & provisions to keep you all alive for some time. You have made yourselves backpacks to carry everything, & you have to move away from your present position. You all managed to salvage a large piece of heavy canvas, large enough to shelter your whole group, but it is very heavy. All of you are already heavily burdened. How is your group going to be able to carry this large shelter?
    Keith.

2. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Well, since it could be a shame to left behind a piece of canvas large enough to shelter us all. I would suggest to fold it the best we can and drag it with us, but even like that is still a dead weight that could hinder our advance. And depending of the place we shipwrecked It would be not much of an issue to left behind given is viable to make another shelter after moving away.

3. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Cut a long small tree to make a pole about 4-5m long and about three inches round!
    Fold tarp over pole so it hangs 4ft or less down!
    Lighten two peoples packs by sharing and they can port the tarp!
    Rotate porters daily!
    That's my soloution subject to other factors!

4. jonthai

jonthai New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I would suggest that we rest for the day until we have more strengths. Then the day after we would slowly keep moving it as a group and stopping every now and then to rest,moving it to the place we wanted.

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    maybe make a travois and take it in turns pulling it? maybe put it on a pole so two people can carry it?

6. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I would suggest folding the canvas and possibly dragging it between two people. If we are all heavily burdened, depending upon how much the canvas weighs, I may let one person carry it on their backs and divide what they were already carrying among the rest of the group.

7. cyclistbabe

cyclistbabe New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    First thought was roll it up and have everyone carry it along their shoulders and walk in a line... but I don't know how efficient that would be. I'll have to think on it!

8. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Hmm, maybe we have to organize the group first. Since the premise said it is a large group of people then we can divide the group into sub-groups...
    1. caretaker of logistics
    2. surveyors who will search for a good shelter location
    3. workers who are able-bodied to carry the cargo and come back for more
    4. quartermaster to handle the food presparation
    5. marshal who would oversee the safety of everyone

I think that is a rough organizational setup that would work if everyone would cooperate as a team.

9. Ricky Lach53

Ricky Lach53 Active Member
      33/50

Blog Posts:
    I would cut it up!!! Equal parts and everyone take a piece. Once at a new destination you can sew it back together.

Keith H. likes this.
  10. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Full marks Ricky. Perhaps not equal parts, they could end up being very small pieces, & you would not have to necessarily sew then back together again, but yes, cutting the canvas is a very good solution & the answer I was looking for.
    Keith.