Shotgun preference?

Discussion in 'Gun Comparisons' started by Jason, Jan 17, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Jason

Jason Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    Just curious as to what shotgun and what gauge people prefer and why?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Gene

Gene Moderator
      75/93

Blog Posts:
    12 gauge Remington Express or Moss burg 500. Lots of parts, cheap, not alot to go wrong, take out the plug and put in 5 shells not just 3.

wally, TMT Tactical and Jason like this.
  3. Jason

Jason Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    2012-04-29_17-13-19_739.jpg 2012-04-29_17-13-19_739.jpg My preference is a saiga 410 and saiga 12 gauge, for one they are based on the ak47 one of the most reliable ar's in the world, capacity is no joke with these, the 410 can go from a 5 round stock magazine all the way up to a massive 30 round drum magazine, as well you can upgrade the forgrip to a railed version, what's that mean for functionality? Attachments, any attachment you need, why carry your flashlight in your hand while investigating a disturbance at night when you can mount one on the weapon. Them are my choices and look forward to hearing you're choices.

Attached Files:

4. Gene

Gene Moderator
      75/93

Blog Posts:
    After the poop hits the fan it's not going to matter if you have 3 shells or 30 shells when your duck hunting. ;)

wally, TMT Tactical and Jason like this.
  5. Jason

Jason Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    No but in a defense situation it will so having a versatile weapon is a good idea.

6. Gene

Gene Moderator
      75/93

Blog Posts:
    Yes it is I also like to use tools with muti useage. Not sure how much your weights and 870 Express with a shoulder strap is easy to carry. Also with someone starting out I am also looking at price. You should always buy the best you can.

7. Donzo69

Donzo69 Active Member
      31/47

Blog Posts:
    I always like a good pump action with tube extension. Folding stock is a must to save on space.

wally and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. Jason

Jason Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    The 410 stock version has a unloaded weight of just under 7.5 pounds, the cost varies from around $450-$550 on a stock version.

wally, TMT Tactical and TheJim like this.
  9. Gene

Gene Moderator
      75/93

Blog Posts:
    The price is good at $450 to $550.

10. Doug H.

Doug H. Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I like my Remington 870. I have it set up with a a two round tube extension, collapsible stock. I keep an 18"barrel on it ,but also have a 26 inch improved cylinder and a 30 inch full choke. You basically have three different guns and you can change the barrel without tools in a matter of minutes. Versatile, inexpensive, simple to use and perform repairs.

wally and Ronald Mckeller like this.
  11. Scott Plog

Scott Plog Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I like my Mossbergs in either 12 or 20. I like the 20 for smaller birds. I use the 12 for geese.

wally, Oddcaliber and Doug H. like this.
  12. Donavon Hency

Donavon Hency Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I like any good quality pump 12g. The 12 is the most common shotgun round in USA. Many types of rounds available in 12 and lower powered rounds can be fired by anyone when properly trained. Not real accurate but with barrel bushings about any handgun round can be fired from it. I prefer pump over semi-auto for reliability, simplicity and versatility. A sling should be considered first accessory to purchase with any long gun.

wally likes this.
  13. TheJim

TheJim Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    For survival... Range and close up...the versatility of an over and under is hard to beat. Take the Savage 24V 30/30 for range, 20 gauge for everything else.

Pros: for large and small game, versatile, ammo is common.

cons: rare weapon, single shot, slightly heavy for distance travel, 2 types of ammo to carry can be burdomsome.

wally and Oddcaliber like this.
  14. mace forge

mace forge Active Member
      31/47

Blog Posts:
    Mossberg 500A , six position stock and a good diversified supply of ammo. Dave canabury has a video for the pathfinder school, on reloading shells in the field( camp, survival or zombie apocalypse) good info with vast possibilities for exotic loads. Check it out

wally and Oddcaliber like this.
  15. Locktime

Locktime Well-Known Member
      68/93

Blog Posts:

This one is a monster for defense.

16. Locktime

68/93

Blog Posts:
    My Saiga 12 was $269? as I recall. It was early on in importation, before they became well known. Fairly light, and runs like a top. Beyond defense, I am not certain that a shotgun has a place in my survival arsenal. If putting food on the table is the goal, the energy expended to calories gained would be more efficient using a trap line, vs. hunting with a shotgun.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    wally likes this.
  17. Charles R. Stevens

Charles R. Stevens Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    Can of the mossburg 500 slugster. Comes with a blade front sight and a peep rear. Not a fan of the folding stock, as in close the but may have to be used to batter an attacker to buy space to bring the barrel around, wood is better for this than synthetic. Price is right, and it shares action with the 590 used by the USMC.
    The addition of a 5 round "side saddle on the action housing and stock provid 16 rounds (6 in the weapon, and 10 on the weapon) and as I carry 5 .5 sabbited slugs I can reach out to 150m/y.
    Tho strictly for survival and not for defense I like a .410 single shot. Buy adding .45 colt shells you have a slug gun with a 50m/y range as well as a small game shotgun.

wally likes this.
  18. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    12Gauge pump more ammo choose from harder hitting semi too many things can go wrong

wally likes this.
  19. Locktime

68/93

Blog Posts:
    I have about 900 rds through the Saiga with no issues, even Walmart bulk pack. We use Remington 870 at work. I have had minor issues. Not saying one is better. Both have advantages.

wally likes this.
  20. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:

21. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    I won a mossberg ultimag on a 5 buck rafflegot smooth bore and slug barrel combo great gun can do anything with

wally and Mekada like this.
  22. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I use a single barrel 12g break open with exposed hammer and no manual safety! very very simple!
    $A150
    Very light, very accurate with slugs at 100m and surprisingly fast to reload, I can maintain 20rpm for about 2min then the barrel is getting really hot!
    I now have three of them with slings torch and lasers fitted, awesome for pigs in the dark!:)

23. Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog Expert Member
      155/173

Blog Posts:
    Basic 12 guage pump. Ammo is plentiful and reloadable. Name brand of the manufacturer is generally a matter of personal preference, most are reliable and robust.

wally likes this.
  24. Mekada

Mekada Master Survivalist
      270/345

Blog Posts:
    Damn that is lucky.

25. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
    I guess type of shotgun i would have to go with the pump action. It eats anything and rarely jams, but when it does it isn't difficult to fix.

As for the round : 12gauge all day long! Very plentiful and cheap. There is also some great diversity in the availability of round types.

As for the gun... I love mossberg shotguns for a number of reasons. Yes they have a non expandable magazines and an aluminum receiver (not a disadvantage, just a personal preference) but for practical purposes. I am left handed and a cross bolt safety sucks for me so the ambidextrous tang safety works great. Also the pump slide release is behind the trigger guard making it much easier to shoot as you don't have to constantly adjust your grip to reach... On a Remington it is the front of the trigger guard making it more difficult to actuate. The mossberg also has dual extractors which probably isn't necessary but I still like it. Last but not least when you load it, the mossberg doesn't have a plate in the cavity that can make you drop a round as you fumble in the dark or during a highly stressful situation... Just drop it in an push it forward into the tube.

There are many other great shotguns out there this is just what I prefer so take this as my opinion only.

One more thing... The Mossberg 500 and 590 remain the only shotguns to pass the military endurance test of over 3000 rounds.

wally and branchd77 like this.
  26. Bushdoctor

Bushdoctor Expert Member
      163/173

Blog Posts:
    12 or 20 gauge over and under is my choice does not matter which as long as you hold it strait. We are restricted in the Uk to 3 round magazine capacity in most circumstances unless you have a firearm certificate.

27. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
    Those are great guns!

wally likes this.
  28. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Many excellent shotguns mentioned here. My personal favourite is the Winchester 1300. It will cycle the mini shells so I can get 11 in the magazine and one in the chamber. They are less powerful rounds but they still have twice the power of a .45 ACP and a 3/4" hole is very convincing. The 18" barrel is good for home defence and adequate for hunting. Locally moose can only be taken with shotguns and about 50 yards would be a maximum shot.

The mini shells are 1 1/2" long and are a problem for most pumps and all semi-auto shotguns. They are great for break action, KSG, and the 500 if it has an adaptor.

29. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    dale's guns.jpg Only have one picture of my favorite shotgun. It's a Benelli M4, in 12ga. Great gun for self defense and predator hunting. I have a 20ga. Stoeger Uplander supreme side by side that I use for bird and rabbit hunting. Sweet little gun that I enjoy shooting.

Dale

wally, GateCrasher and TMT Tactical like this.
  30. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    I own a Mossberg 500 with three barrels: 18" cylinder bore, 28" improved choke, and 21" rifled barrel with cheap red-dot optic. It came with a pistol grip which I discarded. I consider the 500 one of the best shotguns around for the money.

31. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning all,

Breaking my personal rule to post on a subject I no longer keep up with, for the benefit of new survivalists and the historical record, .......

One feature not mentioned above is that some models had a line-throwing ability when outfitted as such. Believe it was the Mossberg and Rem 870 series. Launching a line is sometimes needed in special rescue operations.

Another feature don't remember reading above ... more about my fading memory than the subject matter ... is the ability to launch flares. It might not be safe to use flares in near offshore waters because of onshore fire risk, but sometimes decisions must be made. Flares can be phased out with the new flashlight technology. Just bring $$$.

As an aside; In US Army during riot control assistance to civilian police forces, a nickname was coined by someone. The shotgun was called a "street broom". It cleaned the streets of all debris to include human trash.

32. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Active Member
      45/58

Blog Posts:
    Got 3 Maverick 88"s in 12 and 2 Mossberg 500's in 20.

wally likes this.
    1. Old Geezer
      Nothing is wrong with a 20 ga. Get a rifled barrel on a 870 Rem and with Hornady 250gr sst sabot slugs you can get a 3" group at 100yrds with iron sights. I know this thing.

Old Geezer, Jul 2, 2020
  33. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Here is my choice == Cost- $411

TRI-STAR SPORTING ARMS KXR TACTICAL 12GA 20 PGRIP AUTO

upload_2020-7-1_22-6-12.png

I want a regular stock so I can install better recoil pad. Rail for Red Dot and for flashlight / laser. Good reviews.

Dalewick and wally like this.
  34. wally

wally Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    remington 870 express

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Old Geezer
      The 870 is a fine pump. I've got one. Everybody's got one. It's a standard. It's tight. You'll always be able to get parts and accessories for an 870.

Old Geezer, Jul 2, 2020
      wally likes this.