Square Foot Gardening

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by SirJoe, Jun 18, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Square Foot Gardening has been around for sometime but there are people that still unfamiliar with it. Square foot gardening is based on the fact that plants very often don't need that much space to grow and if you can prepare the soil correctly you can grow plants in a very small space and have very high yields.

Here is a video explaining the method and explains how too prepare the soil.

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Interesting. This would definitely be handy in a situation where you, for one reason or another, decide to stay in an urban area for a long time. Could even be used in everyday life for growing something in your balcony!

SirJoe likes this.
  3. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    That's the great thing about square foot gardening you don't really need that much space. The most important part is the quality of the soil, once you have this sorted out the rest is clean sailing.

4. DaLin

DaLin New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I think this is an absolutely fantastic idea and I don't know why its not being made more popular except that the makers of garden fertilizer would be put out of business. As it is I don't have a lot of space in which to garden and that which I have I may not for very long as my upstairs neighbors seem determined to move me out and move their friends in. This will likely mean moving into an apartment again and losing my garden. With this method I can plant on a balcony and not be worried that I will resigned to only raising patio tomatoes. I love plants and gardening and from what I saw on the video, you can start your plants early because you can protect them greenhouse style. I will have to read up on this because for some reason the sound is not working on my laptop and I could only pick up the visual but it was enough to give me the idea. Thank you very much for contributing this.

5. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I'm glad you liked it, this method of farming has been around for some time but not widely known. There is another method of farming if you don't have a lot of space and that is aquaponics. It doesn't take that much space either and all you need is a small area too keep your fish and plants. It might suit apartment life a little more.

6. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I have been doing square foot gardening for four years now .. starting out with a single 4'x4' box and growing to five 4'x4' boxes, a 7'x7' piece of cultivated land a number of separate barrel planters. In my climate, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, squash/zucchini, beans, corn and all sorts of green leafy vegetables grow well. The important fact to keep in mind is to always cycle the crops in your various boxes, especially in a box where corn was planted the previous seasons as nitrogen will have to be returned to the soil afterwards.

7. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    After four years of square foot gardening, we are self-sufficient in terms of fruits and vegetables from June-October. We can freeze and store some of the excess for the winter months. Larger, sprawling plants such as zucchini and tomato plants often require multiple squares in a garden to maximize output so it makes sense to have two large plants in each box along with a series of smaller vegetables plants to fill in the remaining spaces: beans, carrots, peppers and all sorts of herbs.

8. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I might try this next year as I had way too much room this year with little yield. And I can tell a difference in the plants that had my backyard soil vs. the purchase soil. Those that I grew in the purchased soil grew faster and stronger than the plants in my backyard soil.

9. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Zucchini can really take over the whole place. I prefer to grow it apart because it needs all that space. It doesn't need very rich soil to yield a lot and you only need few plants because of the quantity of fruit each plant produces.