Staying Safe Indoors During an Earthquake

Discussion in 'Earthquake' started by Aneye4theshot, Jan 21, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Aneye4theshot

Aneye4theshot Expert Member
      125/140

Blog Posts:
    Staying safe indoors during an earthquake is not an impossible task. It is a very dangerous situation for anyone as there will be a lot of falling objects and potential dangerous electric hazards. Finding a secure structure such as a table or desk to hide under is advisable. This could prevent something from falling on you and injuring you. Staying safe indoors during an earthquake is about having a plan in place. If you are in your business or office knowing where to go and how to react on a moment's notice can help make the difference between you being injured or remaining safe.
    upload_2016-1-21_19-20-17.png
    The same thing applies at home. In your common office building making your way to the lowest floor available or under a desk or in an archway by a door is one of the safest places to be. At home under a table, in between an archway, or in your bathtub tends to be the safest places. By staying calm and have an emergency supplies available you stand a better chance at having a positive outcome should you live through one of the natural disasters of the world known as an earthquake. Stay safe plan ahead and you'll be ready for anything.

TMT Tactical and Prairie Dog like this.
  2. Kathy A Johnson

Kathy A Johnson Active Member
      31/47

Blog Posts:
    As some of you may know from news reports, South Central Alaska recently experienced a magnitude 7.1 quake. It was at 1:30am so at least we were all tucked away in bed. This, of course, is not a pleasant way to wake up. However, I experienced many broken things to clean up, my only injury was a stubbed toe & my poor pets were all scared to death. I was extremely lucky in that all of my utilities remained working which was not the same for the rest of the city nor surrounding areas. This experience makes you realize how small we really are in the big picture of our world. I am a new prepper this past year & this earthquake has really helped me to realize that I have a lot yet to do. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

3. rickymuus

rickymuus New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    The most important thing is to have a safe structure inside your house that is strong enough to keep you safe. You cannot rely on your office desk while its on the third floor of a 10 storey building to keep you safe. There are products out there that serve this purpose. Access to clean water and some food is also important as it may take days or even weeks before you are removed from the debris.

Prairie Dog likes this.
  4. QtheMyst

QtheMyst Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    When I lived in LA, they taught us the safest place to go is in the doorway and as far away from any windows or glass. Even pictures framed in glass and mirrors can be dangerous. If you live in an area prone to earthquakes, you should look at your living space as soon as possible and decide the safest places to go in each room. It's important to be prepared because it can be very startling or wake you up, and it can be hard to think clearly. If you already know what your plan it, it's much easier to deal with.

5. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    I've always heard that doorways/archways are the best. You have to stay away from glass that kills or injures more people than anyone. I've only experienced three earthquakes. Two in Ohio and one in Missouri. They were all small and scary. In fact, they were over with before action could really take place at all. I wouldn't want to go outside during an earthquake, but sometimes I wonder if you live in an earthquake-prone area, over time it would have to cause some sort of structural damage, wouldn't it?

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    When the big earthquake struck in 1990, we were in the office. My husband was in the 8th floor of a building. He heard the creaking of steel as the swaying of the building was ongoing. I was also inside the building and as per the drills, I had learned to stay under the table so in case the roof or the upper floors would collapse, there would be a defense somehow. My husband also did the same. He was operations manager at that time so he instructed everyone in their office to get under the office tables. Fortunately, nothing damaging happened to our buildings.

There is an earthquake drill once in a while. It is called shake drill to orient the public on what to do when there is an earthquake. One option is to go out in the open to avoid being hit when the structure collapses - house or a building or school. And for those who cannot go out in the open, just be content in hiding under the table.

7. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    When a earthquake is shaking within, If you are inside, stay inside. Do not run outside or to other rooms during the shaking. In most situations, you will reduce your chance of injury from falling objects and even building collapse if you immediately:

• Drop down onto your hands and knees before the earthquake knocks you down. This position protects you from falling but allows you to still move if necessary.
    • Cover your head and neck (and your entire body if possible) under the shelter of a sturdy table or desk. If there is no shelter nearby, get down near an interior wall or next to low-lying furniture that won't fall on you, and cover your head and neck with your arms and hands.
    • Hold on to your shelter (or to your head and neck) until the shaking stops. Be prepared to move with your shelter if the shaking shifts it around.
    Do not stand in a doorway. You are safer under a table. In modern home, doorways are no stronger than any other part of the house. The doorway does not protect you from the most likely source of injury−falling or flying objects. Most earthquake-related injuries and deaths are caused by falling or flying objects or by being knocked to the ground.

Prairie Dog likes this.
  8. Ross Edwards

Ross Edwards New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    People living in an earthquake prone area always live in a fear of losing their loved ones. They cannot control earthquakes, but what they can do is protect themselves and their loved ones by simply keeping an earthquake survival kit at home. This survival kit has all the essential items that are needed the most in the event of an emergency.

9. streettallest

streettallest New Member
      6/29

Blog Posts:
    My country is not earthquake prone, but when we talk of earthquake i keep imagining how hard it can be to live in this area. On my first visit to a foreign country (Haiti) it became even more clear to me what a devastating natural occurrence an earthquake can be. As an incidence you cannot control, i dont advice that you stay indoors while an earthquake occurs. this can be more dangerous because the building may collapse leading to death of anyone inside.

10. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.