Stocking On Oat Meal

Discussion in 'Food Storage - Canning/Freezing/Butchering/Prep' started by Corzhens, Jun 27, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    As I had been posting from time to time, we have a food cabinet for our stock of food. It is mostly filled with canned goods but there are other items not perishable like pasta and cereal. There was a time that our food cabinet was exuding a bad odor. To investigate, we pulled out all the contents of the cabinet and checked them one by one. It turned out that the stock of oat meal was the one giving the odor. When we opened the can, the oat meal has brown to black color and the odor was pungent that we had to burn it so the odor will vanish. Now we don't stock up on oat meal anymore. We have to consume it within 3 months to avoid that bad odor.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Oatmeal is prone to weevil infestation and if you store it a warm, dry place for any prolonged period of time the weevil will infest the oatmeal and deteriorate its quality. The best thing to do is to store it in the refrigerator if you are gonna keep it for a long period, the cold temperature will prevent the hatching of weevils.

3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    First time I have ever heard of canned oatmeal! We keep a good stock of oats, but it comes in a plastic bag. Never had any problems with storing cut oats.
    Keith.

danil54grl likes this.
  4. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    We keep some oats in metal tins. There are also the Emergency Essentials "SuperPails" of oats that have stored well. It is a pretty good staple to keep on hand.

5. dero56

dero56 New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Always had my oats in a sealed plastic bag and have kept some for almost a year but they haven't gone bad, only stale. As long as it's stored well, it shouldn't go that bad but I can see how leaving it in an open bag in a humid and warm environment would cause it to go back or become infested.

6. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Philippines is very humid. So if your gonna store oatmeals, you need to be make sure that it's tightly sealed. Oatmeals are like sponge that absorbs liquid evan in vapor form.

danil54grl likes this.
  7. overcast

overcast Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I think if packed in the aluminium foil then it can go on for more than 6 month. If you can see that if the content remains for more than 6 months then climate is normal. For humidity type of the climate then you may not be able to store it for longer duration. Another thing is that oat meal if it's in preserved in the proper container it can last for year. So it can make a good survival food for sure.