storage.

Discussion in 'Food Storage - Canning/Freezing/Butchering/Prep' started by lonewolf, Jan 29, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    hints for any newbie's on storing canned food, remember the 2 old prepper motto's:
    1. ROTATE, ROTATE, ROTATE...use the older cans first, bring them to the front of the shelf in your storage cupboard or larder shelf, put the new cans to the back, this way there will be no problem with out of date cans as you are always refreshing your stock.
    2. EAT WHAT YOU STORE, STORE WHAT YOU EAT....self explanatory really, only store what you know you will eat, buying anything else just because its cheap is a false economy, it usually gets left at the back of the shelf, uneaten.
    if you use and remember this 2 sayings you cant go far wrong.

danil54grl likes this.
  2. Gene

Gene Moderator
      75/93

Blog Posts:
    So true lonewolf, a couple days ago I saw on my floor a small dark red pool start to form, a can of beets started to leak at the side seam of the can. I am not sure how long I "had" that can, but it's in the trash now.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I know some people who mark their cans with the date of purchase but if we stick to the rotate rotate rotate method then that is not required.
    in the UK we don't put back canned food to last us 30 years or more , normal practise is to store enough for up to a year and to refresh the stock as we use it.

4. Gene

Gene Moderator
      75/93

Blog Posts:
    We do mark the year we got our canned goods, that can of beets just got past us.

5. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Omaha steaks meat in the mail lol sendtheir stuff in great coolers yes they are styrofome but they last and pack nice. I grab them off curb from trash maake nice planter for food. Storage of all kinds got one i keep night crawlers in year round and one i fill with water and keep minnows in all kinds of uses the lids. Can be use to slleep on even

6. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Vacume storeage is best for alot of stuff even the bags that hook to sweeper hold alot and pack nice easy tip for bags to seal them up tight use a hot irion to melt then closed dont open till needed

7. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Meat a smoke house is a must it cures meat well and stores well freezer and fridge may not be able to work cold packing meat is a great way for long shelf life

8. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    CURRY, CURRY and more CURRY!

Old cans of most things are safe to eat if the can is intact, whats in it may not look or taste so good!
    but nothing some curry cant fix!
    Even some bully beef from WWII was ok in a curry stew!

9. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    I do my own canning pint quuarts of all kinds of goodies as we can old stock is being used but there is alot stored since kids left so we are well stocked cold packing meat is great stores well and has great taste when done right

10. PracticalToby

PracticalToby Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    One thing that might be useful to UK readers is to know that what we refer to here as 'bottling' as in preserving in, for instance, Kilner jars, is referred to in the USA as 'canning'. Canning doesn't necessarily mean using tins. It was years before I discovered that!

11. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    A friend of mine lived in Utah at one point and obtained materials from the Mormon church that clearly lists all food items and how long each item can be kept in storage. This material also delineates between foods found in aluminum cans, in plastic, and in boxed containers. I copied Morman printed material and it has been incredibly useful for me. I use a black permanent marker and mark each food item with a date based on how long it can be kept in storage. That way, I can look at my food stuffs and know which items I need to use soon.

12. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    The handy plastic tote is a great little thing for storeageall kinds of stuff stores well in these