Survival-Learning From The Past.

Discussion in 'Other Homesteading' started by Keith H., Jun 3, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] "I noticed particularly, one family of about 12 in number. The man carried an axe and a gun on his shoulders. The Wife, the rim of a spinning wheel in one hand, and a loaf of bread in the other. Several little boys and girls, each with a bundle, according to their size Two poor horses, each heavily loaded with some poor necessities. On the top of the baggage of one, was an infant rocked to sleep in a kind of wicker cage, lashed securely to the horse. A cow formed one of the company ,and she was destined to bear her proportion of service - a bed cord was wound around her horns and a bag of meal on her back. They were not only patient, but cheerful and pleased with themselves with the expectation of seeing happy days beyond the mountains"
    Diary of Presbyterian Rev. David McClure. 18th century.

[​IMG]
    Article here: http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/survival.html

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    The stories of pioneers are sometimes hard to believe although it really happened.

Take these scenes from the movies of settlers and other people in the olden days. It is amusing to see a settler so tired to relax in that hot bath tub made of wood like a barrel. And those cowboys who don't do anything but ride horses and check the town would retire at night to a hot tub. And I have seen a movie where there's a bath tub inside the log cabin. To have a bath tub in those days is surely an indication of wealth. Maybe that is the reason why movie makers show the bath tub. I cannot imagine a home with bath tub where the family is starving.

Keith H. likes this.
  3. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    In our 18th century house in England as a child I bathed downstairs in winter in a tin bath in front of the fire. It was a big house, cellar, ground floor, first floor, top floor & attic. My bedroom was at the top of the house, very cold up there. Bathroom on first floor, but still very cold. Only the main bedroom, kitchen & dining room had a fire.
    We bathed our three boys the same way here in New England Australia, in a tin bath. Now we have a shower, no bath. In the old cottage the shower was outside, so in winter we had to go outside in the snow to shower. I rigged a wood heater in an old water tank that we used as a shower, but it was still not as warm as being inside.
    Water was heated in a big kettle hung over the open fire from hooks & chains hanging from an old buggy axle. No electricity, no water on tap. We lived like that for 20 years, it wasn't that hard.
    Keith.

Corzhens likes this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    " Those that don't learn the lessons of history are destined to repeat them"!!:D

Keith H. likes this.
  5. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    I was surprised to learn that some people have never seen a live chicken . . .

There's much people can learn from the past but they don't want to because there's this false belief that technology will make the world an easier place to live in. They forget that they've civilizations that were destroyed either by war or climate change: the Minoan civilization, the Akkadian civilization and others. History does repeat itself so whoever isn't willing to learn from the past will probably not survive when our civilization eventually collapses.

Prairie Dog and Keith H. like this.
  6. judyd1

judyd1 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I was drawn to the picture of the man and his wife standing in front of the cabin they were building. What a feeling of satisfaction at the end of the day, to behold the hard work you have done, and know you are providing in a very physical, substantial way, for the welfare and happiness of your family. If there were more wildernesses to conquer like this, perhaps men would not have time to spend in such useless pursuits as making war against their neighbor or joining gangs of thugs or spending their hard earned money on gambling.

Prairie Dog and Keith H. like this.
  7. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Agreed Judy. I still at times look at the cottage that we built & am amazed that we actually managed to build it. My wife was pregnant with our third boy, & our eldest was only 7 years, but he was a great help. Also I have often thought that if our youth were to take an interest in Living History it would get them off the streets & away from crime.
    Gambling is a destructive habit, so is smoking. Parents putting food back at the check-out in preference to cigarettes!
    Keith.
    [​IMG]
    Elm Cottage in Wychwood Forest.

8. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Learning from the past helps us to avoid mistakes in the future. However, I am concerned that movies and some reading material has made homesteading or self sufficiency look romantic and easy. Those who grew up on the farms of the 30's - 50's will tell you it was work from morning until night. One needs to be mentally and physically to work hard, have multiple purposes for items, be frugal, and be willing to sacrifice when needed. I fear many of us may be too soft these days.

Coprepper and Keith H. like this.
  9. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well hopefully there is nobody on this forum ignorant enough to believe what they see in movies. I thought that with the effort put into the latest "Last Of The Mohicans" that we were finally improving in authenticity in movies, but then along comes "Revenant" & that idea is all blown to hell!!!
    Documentaries however can be very good. If anyone is interested in life back in the 17th century surviving in the country, you can see the full series of "Tales From Green Valley Farm" on my blog here: http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/search?q=green+valley+farm
    Highly recommended!
    Keith.

10. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Lessons learnt expire with the learner! and hence must be learnt again.
    After WWII the lessons learnt were utilized! by the 80's those who had learnt started popping off!
    Now they have all poppod off!
    And what do you know with chickens again in charge we are appeasing the enemy once again!
    No one in charge has the balls to stand and face the enemy, it is all denial and tribute while the enemy grows stronger!

11. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't agree with much that you say, but I think you've knocked the nail on the head there, I know my government is too p.c., too leaning backward, to placate all the different sorts of people living here that they have become too limp wristed and left leaning , that's why the result of the EU referendum took them all by surprise!

12. Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog Expert Member
      155/173

Blog Posts:
    One show I saw about a man that moved up to Alaska, built a cabin and lived simply in self-sufficiency was excellent. The mans name was dale preneky (probably spelled wrong) but the 1 1/2 - 2 hour show went from site selection to build out. It was on PBS and well worth the time to watch.

Keith H. likes this.