Survival Movies

Discussion in 'Other Reference Material' started by Xilkozuf, May 23, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    Before you say it: yes, survival movies are always just for entertainment, just to share a good fictional (or based on true events) story. But once in a while it might happen a particular scene where the protagonist do some action that make you say "Hey, that's a pretty good idea!". It might occur in story-based movies, or in movies set more like a documentary.
    At the same time, there might be that one scene that make you want to bang your head against the wall, for the stupidity of the protagonist or other reason.

In you opinion, what are some good and bad examples of those scenes? Like if if was a short summary of "dos and don'ts" based on movies.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I can't remember any specific movies or the pieces you speak of in those movies, but it is usually stuff like leaving gear behind, not picking up assailant's weapons, not paying attention & treating the situation like a walk in the park, leaving their gun leaning up against a tree/rock or whatever & walking away from it, lighting a fire at night, camping without setting a watch, the list goes on. The director does things to make the story work, but very often they could have done the sensible thing & still made the story work.
    Keith.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I liked the "Mad Max" series, but I wouldn't base my survival on them, like Keith says good for entertainment but at the end of the day its all fiction.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The first " Hunger Games" was interesting. When I was a kid I liked the various shipwrecked movies like "Swiss Family Robinson" and "Mysterious Island" were fun. I read Robinson Crusoe several times when I was a kid. There were a lot of shipwreck books back then. "The Black Stallion" was another one.

Now days the various Road Warrior movies just don't do much for me. The Zombie movies are laughable as far as offering any slight realistic survival information.

GateCrasher likes this.
  5. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A bad example in "The Purge" was a scene at the end with a lot of survivors in a room with two exits. These exits were not locked & as it happens were not being guarded or even watched. People died because of that. That is typical of a scene where the director makes it happen because that is how the story goes. He could have had the same ending with a more real scenario.

Blokes standing up in full view on a roof with their backs to the entry door to the roof!!!

People cutting through corrugated roller doors to get at the people inside, why didn't the people inside just shoot through the roller doors???!!!

I couldn't help wondering why the people stayed in the city on the annual purge night, why not leave town the day before?

In one scene the main hero does actually say "we have to get out of town", this would have been a good move.

Earlier on the female hero senator refuses a safer place to stay, putting all her security team in danger with her!!!

There was little talking before shooting, they just got on with it. I hate it when people talk to the victims before killing them, just do it.

Leaving when you should is another one, messing about packing a bag when the bad blokes are on their way, hate it. In this movie they just left, no changing clothes, just grab a coat & gone. Good one.
    Keith.

6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    One of the stupidest things that is so common in movies and TV is people in wood framed houses hiding beside window and then shooting out of them. Any centerfire rifle will go right through the walls, actually several, of a wood framed house. Most pistol rounds will go through at least one wall and still poke a hole in you! If you plan on doing this you had better be living in a log cabin, solid stone, solid metal reinforced concrete, solid brick (Not a brick veneer) or a reinforced wall.

I had the opportunity to verify this a couple of times on old houses that were scheduled for demolition. Most residential brick homes don't offer you much more protection from bullets than vinyl siding!

Keith H. likes this.
  7. Jim B

Jim B Member
      21/29

Blog Posts:
    One of my favorite survival movies was Castaway with Tom Hanks. Take it I haven't watched it in some time, but thought the scenes while he was on the island could actually happen. He was able to utilize the parcels that floated in with him to his advantage. Showed an interesting look on the psychological effects on solitude as well, I thought. Anyway it was entertaining at the least.

8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    it was entertaining but a bit stupid, typical Hollywood movie.
    i thought the talking to the football head rather pathetic, he wouldn't have lasted very long post SHTF.

9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Most people really don't do well with isolation and will go to some pretty extreme measures to not feel so alone. They quite often will develop "imaginary" friends or get attached to small things like bugs or lizards. In prison there is a brisk trade in "pet" tames lizards. These are the little chameleon type lizards that are usually green but can change to grey and brown to better hide. They are native here and all over the place. The prisoners in Administrative segregation are alone in a tiny cell with no outside view 23 hours a day and alone in a cage where they can see the sky for an hour if they have been good. They get really flaky after a while and will often hurt themselves just to get out and go to the dispensary.

10. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Boy are you ever right about this Texdanm.

I discovered this when I was stationed in Iceland for a year. The first six months were rough...but the second six months ..by then I had learned to adapt.

But this is a place where you learned of what you were made.

And Iceland was not that bad...but many could not handle it away from home and family and all the things people took for granted in their lives.

The Olde Timers would tell us to shut up ....we could be in Greenland instead of Iceland.

I watched people coming apart as the seams...day by day...as they could not handle it. And yes...they went to some extreme measures to not feel so alone or isolated...to adapt...cope.

You learn a lot about yourself and what you can handle in a place and conditions like that.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris.