Surviving a financial meltdown

Discussion in 'Other Not Listed Situations' started by CarlosTL, Jul 5, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. CarlosTL

CarlosTL New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I think this is the most plausible catastrophe at the moment, and it can all happen very suddenly; Dollar using its value, food shortages, queues at the pump station, exchange controls, basic food rations, disruption of supply chains of most basic commodities, possibly even restriction on travel.

I think in such scenario, cash, real-estate properties, equity or savings...all will be worthless. What are the best options to prepare for such a scenario?

The way I see it is there would be no central state authority (no money = no state), and we might go back to being an agrarian society, just like the beginning of the 20th-century where the most valuable asset wasn't cash nor oil nor real-estate but the amount of farmable land you owned

hollowgirl and Hillbilly Jones like this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Seems to me one would have to be as self-reliant/self-sufficient as possible. I have no doubt that the government & the local councils would still demand their pound of flesh though, & would not accept a half dozen rabbits in lieu rates/taxes!!! In the last Great Depression people survived producing their own food, relying on old skills & in some cases resorting to the use of muzzle-loading guns for hunting & setting out trap lines. This is what I try to explain to people who rubbish early technology, they just can't see the advantages in that sort of situation.
    Keith.

3. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    Save money and buy farmland. I've heard it said that one grow enough food to feed him/her and their family for a year with 1/4 of an acre of land. I've never tried but I think you'll need at least an acre or two of land. In some States land that is quite some distance from cities costs about $4300 an acre. It could be cheaper elsewhere but that's money someone can save in couple of years.

When you buy land try homesteading. Get it right and you may not need any money because you'll get all the food you need from your farm and can make almost everything else you might need.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    if you can still grow enough food to feed yourself in any kind of financial collapse then you wont starve, whilst other people around you are going hungry.

Hillbilly Jones likes this.
  5. CarlosTL

CarlosTL New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I think definitely being able to grow/hunt some kind of food is the number one skill to learn. Add to that maybe some basic and primitive sanitation techniques (as in how to purify water). Maybe get some vaccination done now before it's too late, so one can cope with any pandemic or viral disease that may arise from living in primitive environment.

Also I think heating maybe a problem, surviving the rather harsh winters we have may be an impossible task, so maybe strategically geolocate one self closer to milder climates

6. ProNine

ProNine Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    In that case, as many users have said before, your best approach would be to buy a plot of land and use it to grow your own food. The best part is that you could use a small part of it as remote shelter as well. As regards to financial meltdowns, as someone has mentioned above, the local counties will still want to remain in control of their districts which is why you might want to take that into account. Such as compliance with rules and keeping up with "taxes".

7. Mark Ballance

Mark Ballance Active Member
      31/47

Blog Posts:
    Something to keep in mind, if things really are bad. If you grow a garden, others will be watching that garden as well. Can you guard it 24/7?

8. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes.

9. Hillbilly Jones

Hillbilly Jones New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    1 of the things i am practicing is growing crops up scrub. Start off with bush soil and b able to plant and crop with enough success to keep myself above ground. Theory being that way its only protect against the critters as opposed to the rest of the hungry mob.

Keith H. likes this.
  10. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Gardens were one of the first items to be addressed when we went off grid. The soil here was pretty poor, so it has taken a long time to get the beds built up with manure & compost. Doing alright now, but we are for ever changing something, looking for different plants to grow, taking note of what grows best. No point in trying too hard to grow something that just does not do well. Grow what you can & get to like it.
    You will never starve if you grow Jerusalem Artichokes, & the first fruit to appear after winter is Rhubarb.
    Keith.
    ZJFQPfrdWhwJgAP7KKJ_mhknEYVrnyG3.png