Surviving Earthquake

Discussion in 'Survival Stories' started by Vinaya, Jun 22, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Vinaya

Vinaya Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Have you ever been trapped in an earthquake zone? How did you survive?
    I have never been trapped in earthquake zone,however, about an year ago, my father and siblings were trapped in the city that was completely leveled by 7.9 M earthquake. In April 25, 2015 7.9 M earthquake hit Nepal and ravaged cities, towns and villages. More than eight thousand people died instantly. Thankfully nothing happened to my family.

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    That's sad to hear, @Vinaya. We just had an earthquake drill today in preparation for a potential 7.2 magnitude according to the Metro Manila Development Authority. But what hit Nepal was 7.9 magnitude as you said. From what I remember about the news reports, survivors of that earthquake suffered extreme trauma that even days after the disaster, some people cannot talk, cannot sleep, as if they were being haunted by what happened. I cannot imagine that so many casualties that reached 8,000. But I'm glad that your family was safe, at least.

3. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I have never experienced an earthquake before. I have to admit I would feel kind of lost and not know what to do.
    There have been many documentaries about it and I have seen a couple of them.
    However, I think the reality of experiencing it is so much worse.
    I am very glad that you and your family are okay!

4. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I don't come from an earthquake prone zone but I have an insight of what an earthquake involves because I have experienced tremors in the zone where I live. I have information that in the event of an earthquake striking, the first thing to do is to rush out of the house and go into an open space. If this is not possible, to survive the inevitable building collapse and falling debris, quickly dive under a sturdy table and wait for the event to fizzle. When there is a denouément, quickly rush out through any available opening to prevent being caught napping by aftershocks.

5. QuakeringInTokyo

QuakeringInTokyo New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Wow, that is such a sad story, thankfully your family are ok. I remember hearing about Nepal, haven't heard much since in terms of the recovery, how is it going?

6. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1 New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Try not get hit and stay away from tall building. The most important thing is not freeze up and just run. Don't let fear stop you from moving. You have to keep moving. I think the movie "2012" explains it better.

7. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1 New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Try not get hit and stay away from tall building. The most important thing is not freeze up and just run. Don't let fear stop you from moving. You have to keep moving. I think the movie "2012" explains it better.

8. QuakeringInTokyo

QuakeringInTokyo New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I'm not really sure if running is the right option in all cases? surely some structures in earthquake prone cities are built to withstand earthquakes so if you're in one of them then best to stay put if it's in middle of high rises and going out side puts you in danger zone of falling objects!

9. Goodman

Goodman New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Thе bеst wаy tо survivе аn еаrthquаkе is tо bе соnsсiоusly prеpаrеd. In sоmе саsеs, thаt mеаns yоu will hаvе tо оvеrсоmе yоur fеаr оf nоt surviving оnе, sо thаt yоu саn lооk hоnеstly аnd lоgiсаlly аt hоw tо bе wеll prеpаrеd. Fоr еxаmplе, yоu'll sее sоmеоnе bury thеir еmеrgеnсy wаtеr аnd first аid kit in а bасk сlоsеt undеr thе stаirs bесаusе thеy dоn't wаnt tо fасе thе соnstаnt rеmindеr thаt thеy livе in аn еаrthquаkе zоnе оr bесаusе bright rеd dоеsn't fit in with thе dесоr. Thаt's bеttеr thаn nоthing, but if thе stаirs соllаpsе аnd burst thе wаtеr supply, it dоеs yоu nо gооd tо hаvе hаd it. Yоu wаnt tо hаvе thеsе suppliеs in а lосаtiоn thаt dоеsn't tаkе mоrе thаn sесоnds fоr yоu tо gеt tо аnywhеrе in thе hоusе. If thаt mеаns buying а kit fоr upstаirs аnd dоwnstаirs, pеrhаps thаt's а bеttеr plаn. аnd yоu wаnt tо соnsсiоusly rеhеаrsе thе plаn pеriоdiсаlly, sаy mоnthly, еvеn if it's just gоing thrоugh yоur сhесklist in yоur hеаd, bесаusе а соnsсiоus plаn hаs tо bесоmе а rеflеx асtiоn whеn fасеd with еmеrgеnсy.

10. Goodman

Goodman New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Thе bеst wаy tо survivе аn еаrthquаkе is tо bе соnsсiоusly prеpаrеd. In sоmе саsеs, thаt mеаns yоu will hаvе tо оvеrсоmе yоur fеаr оf nоt surviving оnе, sо thаt yоu саn lооk hоnеstly аnd lоgiсаlly аt hоw tо bе wеll prеpаrеd. Fоr еxаmplе, yоu'll sее sоmеоnе bury thеir еmеrgеnсy wаtеr аnd first аid kit in а bасk сlоsеt undеr thе stаirs bесаusе thеy dоn't wаnt tо fасе thе соnstаnt rеmindеr thаt thеy livе in аn еаrthquаkе zоnе оr bесаusе bright rеd dоеsn't fit in with thе dесоr. Thаt's bеttеr thаn nоthing, but if thе stаirs соllаpsе аnd burst thе wаtеr supply, it dоеs yоu nо gооd tо hаvе hаd it. Yоu wаnt tо hаvе thеsе suppliеs in а lосаtiоn thаt dоеsn't tаkе mоrе thаn sесоnds fоr yоu tо gеt tо аnywhеrе in thе hоusе. If thаt mеаns buying а kit fоr upstаirs аnd dоwnstаirs, pеrhаps thаt's а bеttеr plаn. аnd yоu wаnt tо соnsсiоusly rеhеаrsе thе plаn pеriоdiсаlly, sаy mоnthly, еvеn if it's just gоing thrоugh yоur сhесklist in yоur hеаd, bесаusе а соnsсiоus plаn hаs tо bесоmе а rеflеx асtiоn whеn fасеd with еmеrgеnсy.

11. amelia88

amelia88 Well-Known Member
      75/99

Blog Posts:
    Right now I live in Japan and have for the past couple of years. The worst magnitude quake I've experienced was a 7.3, but the apartment complex I was in at the time had been specifically reinforced to withstand quakes. I did feel some jolting and swaying, but I think it's a testament to the quality of Japanese building that there was no damage. I think because here everyone is just so aware of the threat of quakes, that a lot of newer buildings are made to withstand them. That puts my mind at ease.