The .32 Caliber Flintlock Muzzle-Loading Rifle.

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Keith H., Jun 16, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The .32 Caliber Flintlock Muzzle-Loading Rifle.

Compared to a breech-loading .22 rimfire rifle the .32 caliber muzzle-loading rifle is less expensive to feed, & is more powerful over longer distances. Just 14 grains of 3FG gunpowder is powerful enough to down small game, & this is a very accurate load in my own rifle.

Larger game can be taken by using a larger load, & you can also use slugs for even more dropping power when hunting larger game such as wild boar & wild cattle.

In a long term wilderness living situation this little gun is ideal. The lock is easy to repair if it should malfunction (which is unlikely given its simplicity & hardiness), & if you do not have any spare lock parts, this rifle will still function as a matchlock or a tinderlock.

Keith.

[​IMG]
    This rifle has double set triggers.

2. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    I just dug this thread out of ancient history.

I have a custom .40 Bucks County flinter and just 10 grains of fffg Holy Black gives me all I need for small
    game at small game distances.
    Round ball of course.
    It's a hoot to shoot.

I LOVE your rifle.

Keith H. likes this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    It was custom made by a friend for my boys to learn to shoot. They started at an early age. The barrel is still heavy, so I had to make a forked stick for them to rest it on until they were strong enough to hold it without wavering.
    Keith.

jeager likes this.
  4. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Awesome rifle Keith.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    My mom's dad was a subsistence hunter -- the word "poverty" does not even begin to describe his situation. He was a descendant of Scots trappers and Cherokee in the Southern Appalachian Mountains of Western North Carolina. Actually, he was a mountain creature of some sort. When we hunted, the minute he stepped into the forest, he ceased being my grandfather. He was a force of nature. He'd look at me, tell me what to do -- but that thing that was looking at me, talking to me wasn't my Pap, it was, like I said, some force of nature. He also had a habit of knocking human males unconscious ... to include my dad. I was afraid of him. His dad was a feuder. Pap's dad about beat him to death when he was a child. But, Pap couldn't be killed -- he died in his 70s, but lived to be 90. He didn't understand death unless bearer of such was himself.

His first firearm (only firearm he had when a young man), which he used for decades, was a percussion cap, muzzle-loading, .32 cal rifle. "Beware the man with one rifle." There was no shortage of meat to eat under that man's roof. I remember him sucking the brains out of squirrels we'd shot and which my grandma had just fried-up (with their heads still on). He'd crack their skulls and suck their brains out. Me, I loved the gravy.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    The Amish ONLY use muzzle loaders.
    No electricity, running water, use horses, buggies, etc.

https://lancasterpa.com/amish/

We have a lot of Amish in Ohio and they hand make fine furniture.

DO NOT take a picture of an Amish person.
    Bad idea!

Keith H. likes this.
  7. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    My best deer harvest was in the late season in early January.
    Really cold with about 8 to 10 inches of snow.
    I was headed back to the house when 5 doe stepped out of my woods
    and stopped watching me.
    80 or so yards and no way to take one step closer.
    So I lined up the peep sights on the biggest doe looking at me and but
    a great plains 350 grain bullet right smack in the curl of the chest.
    For the folks that don't know what the "curl" means it's a curl patch
    or hair right in the center of the chest.
    She dropped dead on the spot and never even twitched.
    I found the expanded bullet in the right rear ham under the skin
    expanded to about 75 caliber.
    Good eating she was.
    I got a scrub 8 point an hour into the first day of season back of my place.
    45-70 300 grain Federal hollow point.
    It gave one jump and piled up hors de combat.
    ( that means out of action due to injury or damage. ) :p

Me like 'em 45-70! Big @ss boolit!:D

I suppose I've taken 60 + Ohio whitetail.
    They are soooooooooooooo beautiful.
    If they didn't taste good I'd never shoot one.

Back in the day Ohioans were allowed only shotguns with slugs for deer.
    Now certain rifle calibers.

357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .450 Marlin, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110, and .500 Smith & Wesson.
    I have lever guns in .357 magnum and 45-70.
    Personally I consider the .357 a bit light in a rifle and too light in a handgun.
    I have .357, .45 Colt, 44 magnum, and .41 magnums in revolvers.
    I'd opt for the .41, .44, and hot loaded .45 Colt in a handgun for deer.
    A rifle is better.