The difficulty of using a bow drill.

Discussion in 'All Resources About Fire' started by tb65, Jun 13, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I've seen people use a bow drill on survival shows, and man does this look hard. If you had no other choice but to use a bow drill for survival do you think you would have any problems getting a fire started? I have to admit I wouldn't want to deal with this. I can see that you need a lot of experience with this. Anybody have tips on how to use a bow drill?

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    never used one and I don't think I ever will, too much like hard work at my age, i'll go for the flint and steel instead.

3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Here are my videos on Fire-Bow fire lighting. If you have any questions, contact me.
    Keith.

People do not learn primitive skills overnight, it takes time & dedication. It is not really that hard, it is just that many people just can't be bothered. It all depends on how serious you are about wanting to learn.

Flint & Steel fire lighting is a lot easier, check out the "All Things Primitive" section on this forum or look for my post in this section.

4. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    @Keith H. Thanks for the video. This is really useful, seeing it done helps to learn how to do it much easier. The internet is great you can learn something from someone who lives no where near you.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Sometimes people forget to make a notch on the peace of wood that they are spinning the drill on. So what ends up happening is the ember doesn't have a place to collect in. It doesn't matter how much you spin the drill or how much smoke the bottom peace of wood makes if the embers doesn't have a place to go you won't be able to make a fire with it.

6. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Is not really difficult to grasp. Take a look at the next illustration:

CQpwtBGSx7g2LQs9igGPaapu57suekGm.gif