The empty lighter

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Requests' started by Tom Williams, Jun 11, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Why have a empty lighter in your pack ? Well it still sparks well and can be used to light you fire starter its a veey light flint and steel to use and carry

cluckeyo likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i quite often pick up a discarded lighter in the street, it has run out of fuel but the flint still strikes a spark.

3. woodsman

woodsman Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    you can pull the empty lighter apart and use the flint for a zippo

Old Geezer and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    'Flints' in cheap lighters are poor quality, low temp sparks, don't light tinder easily, always carry at least two lighters with you on trips and have a lot more packed away for longer term trips/use.

5. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Perfectly good enough for lighting a Trangia though.
    Even good quality dark flint (I have had to buy mine in the form of knapped flints for a flintlock because there is non in the region where I live) doesn't give a spark that is anywhere near as hot as sparks from feroceum rods, it's all about the tinder.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Rebecca and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:

More death from China.

I'll stick to Zippo lighters. We know naphtha.

Do any out there use Naphtha VM&P as a substitute for Zippo fluid? Me, I like the convenience of the Zippo can's dispensing top, however when empty, one could simply pop the top and pour in naphtha paint thinner. Do any of you do this and if so, what have been your results? The hardware store naphtha sure is cheaper and if you do painting work anyway then why not just use it.

Any other ideas? Please share.

Here are a couple of slow / boring videos showing tests of naphtha vm&p vs. Zippo fuel. Tests show the hardware store naphtha equivalent or slightly superior.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I keep a can of Zippo lighter fluid in my GHB. It is stored in double zip loc bags just in case it leaks. Wally World sells it for $1.99 a can. You can also store extra flint in the wadding of the Zippo lighter. Truthfully, I think my Zippos will last a lot longer than I will.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I'll stick with the commie gas lighters, they don't run dry if you leave them in a backpack for a few years as I have. I still got a couple of ferro sticks...must have kit for serious bushcrafters LOL

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    52KqKEEQOXKzWqVgY6u6LvufrUgbuShm.gif

Blitz and TMT Tactical like this.
  10. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have already prepared for the empty lighter event . I have put back multiple liquid fueled lighters , packs of flints and wicks for the lighters , and multiple cans of lighter fuel . I took " old geezers " advice some time back and also went to the hardware store and bought a can of naphtha .

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  11. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The flints in those cheap lighters are longer than regular Zippo flints and I can actually start a fire with them as if they were a mini ferrocerium rod. I also put them in lantern lighters and they make a great easy fire starter. You just turn it slow and grind off a little dust and then spin it to start the fire.

125d99939886923a5c14b43af5712f1a.jpeg

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  12. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    I'd rather (and do) have a few fully operational lighters. When they run out, then can utilise the flints ...

13. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    This is why I buy Bic. I see on the side of the lighter stamped into the metal either made in the USA or France. Fuck China!

I also have a few electric lighters for when it's windy.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I seriously doubt anyone on these forums will have a problem creating fire as long as there is some sort of fuel available. Fire making tends to be one of the first skills that outdoors folks master when they start out hunting or camping. There is always a way....the dried up workings of a Bic just give another option.

TMT Tactical, Rebecca and lonewolf like this.