The Heimlich Maneuver

Discussion in 'Safety' started by Lisa, May 29, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Henry Heimlich, the brain behind the Heimlich maneuver had to use the manuever himself at the age of 96 to save the life of a fellow resident in the elderly living complex that he resides in. It is the first time in his life that he has had cause to use the maneuver himself, he was successful and the eldery lady who was choking was saved. Have you ever had to use the Heimlich maneuver and would you know how to do it if the situation arose?

2. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Curiously, Henry Heimlich recently performed his own anti choking technique at the age of 96 for first time, to help a woman that was choking at the dinner table of his retirement home.

Never used the Heimlich maneuver in a real scenario, but I know how to do the abdominal thrust, is quite simple and effective. You have to dislodge food or another object from a person's airway by increasing pressure in the abdomen and chest, enabling the object to be expelled.

3. 111kg

111kg New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Well, I've never used it to save anyone, but I've practiced a lot in 2 survival and first non-medical first aid courses. It's extremely efficient if done correctly. Everyone should know how to apply it even on themselves, because there might come a day when it could be useful. It can make a difference between saving someone's life and letting them die from a stupid accident.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've never had to use it myself.

5. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I have never used the Heimlich, but my brother had to perform it on my mother. She had cancer and began to choke at the table one day. My brother went into to action and was able to dislodge the morsel that was making my mother choke. Thank you, Mr. Henry Heimlich.

Lisa likes this.
  6. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    It's such a simple maneuver that has saved many lives and it's easy enough to remember that I think even children could do it.

7. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Unfortunately, I wouldn't know how to administer it. I actually saw a video the other of a cop rescuing a lady who was choking behind the wheel. It really had me thinking I should learn the Heimlich maneuver. You never know when you might be at the right place at the right time.

8. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Yes I have. I had to use it on my dad two years back when he choked on an orange. I heard my mom cry out and rushed to the kitchen, when I walked in I realized immediately what was happening. He had already fallen onto the ground but I was still able to put my arms around him and save him. I can assure you this much, it really gets the adrenaline pumping.