To Decrease Fear In A Survival Situation..Assess .

Discussion in 'Mental Preparedness' started by sunnytn, May 30, 2016.

To Decrease Fear In A Survival Situation..Assess . 5 5 1votes
5/5, 1 vote

1. sunnytn

sunnytn Well-Known Member
      90/99

Blog Posts:
    To decrease fear in a survival situation, I believe you need to assess and prioritize your needs first. Assess your surroundings..for shelter sources, water supply and food sources. Assess the area for material for fire building. When you have assessed your area..sit down and make a mental plan. Prioritize your needs..then act on them. And although you may feel fearful..set it aside and follow your survival plan.

2. branchd77

branchd77 Administrator Staff Member Gold Supporter
      257/345

Blog Posts:
    That is very true, instead of running around its better to plan and see exactly what you have available. Planning and strategizing is key to survival.

sunnytn likes this.
  3. Destiny

Destiny Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, you have a pretty good point there. In an emergency situation it's always best to calm down a little before you get ready to go to the next step. That is of course, if you have the time.

sunnytn likes this.
  4. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    Fear and loneliness are major afflictions of survivors in the wild. I remember of instances in the past where I have found myself in such situations and come out of the situation stronger. The best approach would be to imagine yourself as a commando in a training session since they are exposed to worse situations, yet they are people like you and me. Another technique to keep fear at bay is to pray constantly. You will find your stress and blood pressure levels dropping drastically.

sunnytn likes this.
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    fear is a primeval reaction to a dangerous situation, anyone who says they don't feel fear is a liar and an idiot, its how you manage that fear that is the important part.

sunnytn likes this.
  6. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    What a lot of people don't realise is that fear and panic are as much physical responses as they are emotional. When a person feels threatened their bodies respond. Blood flows from the internal organs and into the limbs to enable the body to run away fast if it needs to, heart and respiratory rate increases to provide the muscles with enough oxygen to work hard and the nervous system shuts off certain pain signals to allow the body to function with an injury, the shoulders will tense and rise to put the body in a position that is ready to attack. Just as percieved threat can alter the way the physical body is working, if you combat the physical responses the psychological fear will reduce. If you lower your shoulders and place your hands palms up on your knees your stance changes from an attacking one to a calm one. Running your wrists under cold water combats the overheating you feel in fear because the blood has concentrated in your limbs. Focusing on breathing slowly regulates your respiratory rate and helps to decrease heart rate. If you can master taking control of your physical body your fear will subside also.

Arboreal and sunnytn like this.
  7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    its called "flight or fight" and its a normal bodily response.

sunnytn likes this.
  8. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Indeed it is, it's an evolutionary response that has kept our species alive. It's very helpful to be able to recognise and control it.

sunnytn likes this.
  9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes, it is. I don't know about fear but most peoples first reaction in an emergency would be to panic.

sunnytn likes this.
  10. Arboreal

Arboreal Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    @Lisa Excellent advice, I always keep forgetting about this stuff, but it's actually important!

In general terms, the ebst way to prevent panic is to plan and practice ahead, but I think we all need to account for the fact you can't foresee literally everything. In a real emergency, even the most hardened veterans will not see every single thing coming, and a plan never covers the entirerty of situation. It's important to prepare for an unexpected turn of events, the problem is, how do you train for this?

sunnytn likes this.
  11. sunnytn

sunnytn Well-Known Member
      90/99

Blog Posts:
    Just as you may have a plan for life and realized the unexpected always happens. You can't plan for the unexpected. All you can do is realize in your basic plan is to expect the unexpected. This means being flexible and addressing the situations as they come. Thank you for your input.

12. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    To be less afraid. Be prepared. Learn stock practice. Learn first aid self defense weapons your gear stock food and supplies practice.have drills where you use your gear get use to it how it works sets up ect

sunnytn likes this.
  13. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I agree you have to assess the situation and not be driven by emotion. If you let fear fuel your decisions your screwed. I think keeping a positive attitude and having a good plan is the way to go. If one thing doesn't work you just have to keep trying until something does.

sunnytn likes this.
  14. richj8am30

richj8am30 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Planning ahead is the key to life as far as becoming successful at anything that you persue. Also train yourself, much like a combatant or a military service man might do. Overestimate some things and be so prepared for that situation that the instincts that you have ingrained into your being take over during anything that may seem as though it is a stressful situation.

15. Bonzer

Bonzer New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Kudos, you have talked logic on what to do and how to approach an adverse situation. In other words, what you indicated is the road map or a blueprint to a proper execution of ideas so as to minimize risk and implement things efficiently. Such a plan gives us confidence and enhances our chances of survival appreciably.

16. thePENofGODx0x0xz7

thePENofGODx0x0xz7 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I believe that analyzing everything around you and planning in anticipation as you say are true keys to being prepared. These keys can be practiced right in your urban surroundings. You do not need to go into actual wilderness to apply these methods. Do the best you can to re-enact some of the scenarios that you will face and devise a way to handle them and you should be good to go.

17. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Yesterday there was an earthquake drill in the whole of Metro Manila. It would be easier for me to imagine a scenario of survival since I had seen the news reports last night with the video footage to boot. I agree with the assessing of the situation. As they say in the military, survey the fields and check for some advantages. But in all honesty, I don't think I would have presence of mind when I would survey the fields to see dead people all over. For sure, it would be scary for me so I'm praying that I wouldn't be in that kind of situation alone. It may be a bit okay if I have a companion during those times.

18. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Y
    you are right on planning point but in some cases fear Makes survivors lose their minds And It's good to Calm down first, face your fears jn order to be able to plan and all that :)

19. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I think your survival plan is very valid. Having a plan can also can help to allay panic. I think it is a great thing to do. I think making a mental and or written plan once you have asscessed your situation would work well in many situations. I think it is excellent.

20. ValX

ValX New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    That's a really good plan, of course after you have everything built and done, then it's a good time to panic and try to calm yourself down. That is quite hard though, having to do everything and think straight when you are eaten up by fear inside. I think it's just an attitude to be improved on, being highly optimistic and hopeful, and choosing hope over fear like in many movies.