To Have in the Car

Discussion in 'Essential Items' started by TimberTom, Apr 28, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. TimberTom

TimberTom Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    Having emergency gear in your car is important. You will never know just how vital it is until the time comes when you need to use these items. Things such as emergency road flares, emergency food, and emergency water are all items that can come in handy more than you might think. Also, blankets, pillows, and hand warmers are great ideas if you live in areas that the temperatures might drop down and get cold.
    upload_2016-4-28_17-15-35.jpeg
    Keeping items such as your emergency spare tire and jack in working order is always advisable as well. A few of these items can help you in the long run when you find yourself in an emergency situation.
    Take the time to read up and familiarize yourself with different emergency situations. Take the time to practice drills and you will be happy with the result. Being prepared is better than being unprepared, and there is never such a thing as being too prepared. When the situation occurs for someone who is sharp-witted and calm minded you will be that individual

2. ukpreppergurl

ukpreppergurl Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I do keep kit in the car, but I personally wouldn't purchase something off the shelf, as each person's personal situation is different and will need personalising. I carry a lot more kit in the winter than I do in the summer because the chances of getting stranded, and for longer, are greater in the winter. During the winter months I carry the following: walking boots; thick winter coat - waterproof; shovel; torches; water; food; screen wash; atlas; de-icer and an ice-scraper; first aid kit; wind up radio and a book. In the summer, it would be thinned down to water; food; torches; wind-up radio; first aid kit, and a blanket. I also *always* carry a high-vis vest.

3. BigD

BigD New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    One thing I've heard is that old phones without service plans can still call 911. You'd probably have to still be in cell range, but if something really bad happens just outside of town and you need help it could prove useful. I just charge my old dumb phone once a month and stick it in my glove box. Also, most cars should have a fire extinguisher, especially in summer.

My car seats can fold down in a manner that allows me to have a long flat surface that could work similar to a bed. I have a thick blanket in the trunk for cold winters. I also have spare clothes, some boots, a flashlight, and a spare battery charger for my phone. Right now I'm looking to find some sort of compact, long lasting food I can store for emergencies.

4. Dilof

Dilof New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    First aid kits definitely. If you live in an area with a lot of snakes then if you're going to get bitten you want to clean out that wound as quickly as possible. Other things I believe people have already said like spare clothes and such.

5. Para173

Para173 Well-Known Member
      95/99

Blog Posts:
    I always keep some sort of knife with me. Something along the lines of a Swiss Army knife or even a sheath knife. Depending on where I go, I may or may not carry the knife with me or use it as a tool.

6. cybercop

cybercop New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I like to have a walky talky in my car

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    This thread is very realistic for us. We live in a low lying area that is susceptible to flooding so we have a kit in the car that would be useful in times of calamity. It is our agreement that when the rain is heavy after office hours, we are looking at the prospect of staying overnight in the office. My car has a bag in the trunk which contains night clothes aside from the flashlight and other personal items.

But when we go on trips for vacations, the emergency bag has a different content. Aside from the toiletries, it has also a medicine kit plus some candies and gum which can be useful when something happens. We also have a spare blanket that may be in use when the weather gets too cold.

8. QtheMyst

QtheMyst Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    This is a great reminder for me. I used to have my car pretty well stocked with emergency supplies, but since I traded it in, I haven't set up the new car yet and it's been months! So, we must remember to move these when we change vehicles! I have a AAA membership and that generally helps me feel safe but the truth is I could very well need these items if a disaster strikes, or even if I'm out of cell phone range to call services.