Tobacco Use

Discussion in 'Safety' started by Bishop, Jun 4, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    Who all use tobacco smoke chew dip pipes what ever I don't my self never had the need to try it then when in the service I walked point and could smell people way before I got to them also the guys in my unit would run out which in the field and they looked like walking dead so would you give it up or find a way to keep useing

Keith H. and Koala like this.
  2. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    There are some very limited medical uses for tobacco. It also might work for barter. But to actually use the stuff is a very bad idea indeed. It is a waste of money, it destroys your health, and can finally kill with enough use. Anyone who is using the stuff should give it up. And anyone who doesn't use now, don't start.

Bishop likes this.
  3. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    Nicely written CivilDefense. Why speed up the process of dying with tobacco?

I never liked or smoked it. I think it's because my grandfather used to be a very, very heavy smoker. He always smoked his pipe and his apartment reeked of the tobacco smell. He died of a lung cancer and ever after, I never even considered trying to smoke.

I hate its smell. It gets stuck onto everything. From furniture to clothes... it's not nice.

Bishop likes this.
  4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    There are home remedies involving tobacco. My source:
    http://handmaidenkitchen.blogspot.com/2009/02/home-remedies-from-foxfire-1-part-2.html

I did a cut'n'paste out of the above and got:
    "Irritation Caused by Insects
    "Bee Stings
    Chew or mash ragweed and put it on sting to deaden pain and reduce swelling.
    Put moist snuff, mud, tobacco juice, or red clay on it.
    Crush a few chrysanthemum leaves and rub the juice on the sting.
    "Chigger Bites
    To relieve itching and infection, rub chewed snuff or tobacco over the bites.
    Make a mixture of butter and salt to stop itching."

When I was a boy in S.Appalachia, I got all manner of homemade poultices, plasters, and teas -- to include the tobacco paste for hornet sting (that one does in fact help). Some work, some are just torture -- you'll force yourself to get better lest Mammow's tonics kill you.

And yes, most folk did dip snuff or chew tobacco, as did my mom and her mom (who "lived" to age 100, she got feeble after age 97/98). I used to smoke a cigarette or three a day for an afternoon wake-up. As a wee little boy, I told my mom that tobacco was ugly, so she quit that day. My paternal grandmother at age 13 got sick from smoking some cigarettes, she wouldn't tell her parents what she'd done to cause the vomiting and vertigo, so she got "treated" for poisoning -- which was, of course, worse than the nicotine poisoning. That ended her tobacco use for life (she lived to be 94). Excessive smoking laid-low the men of my family and the men in my wife's family. I've not smoked in a coon's age.

5. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    No mate, gave it up many moons ago. I can smell a smoke a mile off!
    Keith.

6. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the kind words. I too have found it odd that there are people in the modern survival community that pollute themselves with cigarettes. It is beyond counterproductive. I get it back in the early days (50s through 70s) of preparedness/survival/community civil defense that a lot of people smoked because the risks weren't well known and a lot of folks smoked then. Circa 2017, it is just bizarre to continue said.

Koala likes this.
  7. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    While I agree that it's terrible for the health and it doesn't bring overall many benefits to you when considered a survival situation I can only think of two tobacco uses. The first would be warding off mosquitoes and insects at night (Downside: It leaves a strong smell other people and an animal could pick up at a distance). The second would be in a combat situation. My mentor often told me how Marines in the Vietnam war would mask the gunpowder fumes coming out of their rifles with tobacco smoke.

Keith H. likes this.
  8. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Bad for your health long term & short term. Tobacco smoke can be smelt a long way off & will attract unwanted attention if there are aggressors in the area. The light from a pipe or cigarette can be easily seen at night or in dark places. I see no advantages in using tobacco for smoking.
    Keith.

9. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    You are right. The thing about consuming tobacco is that it lowers blood pressure and it relaxes you that is why people use it. Also, a good cigar and a good pipe can taste excellent. It's mostly the smell of the smoke in that case. As an avid smoker, i do not recommend it to anyone. It's something that gets to you. You start slowly and when you realize you're a hardcore smoker. Everyone would be better off without it but it's easier said than done.

Jack_Dan likes this.
  10. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I used tobacco briefly before I suit the habit on my own volition. It was quite a struggle because its cheap go my country where tobacco is one of the cash crops. It has been experimentally proven that just 3milligrams of tobacco is lethal to a rat. Factor these go the joints an average smoker user daily and see the damage. Its one of the dangerous and nasty habits one can do without go this life.

11. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I have to say I am an avid tobacco user and it's an addiction that's hard to kick. While I don't advise anyone doing it at all I like it because it relaxes the body. Coming home from a long hard day and lighting a cigarette is very relaxing. Still, i try and not smoke too much. Maybe one or two cigarettes most days. Some of the more busy days I don't smoke at all.

12. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I don't smoke, I can smell a smoker is present even when they're not smoking and it isn't pleasant. Nicotine is a powerful neurotoxin.

13. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    I used to smoke tobacco before but I just recently gave up using it with the help of e-cig or vape. Sure I am still longing for the nicotine but at least I can gradually lessen the intake and eventually forget about it. Gotta love the different flavors of e-juices!

14. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Is it any good? Some friends recommended it to me but I always thought it was a bunch of hype. Not to mention it is expensive as hell around here as it happens with anything that is imported.

15. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Pedro, you can just stop smoking if you want to but you will never do it until you decide to. It just takes willpower.