Two words.. Duct tape

Discussion in 'Survival Gear' started by Doug H., Jan 31, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Doug H.

Doug H. Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    My kids and I each have a BOB, each one contains a roll of duct tape. If you're unfamiliar with the different uses if it, Google survival uses for duct tape. Most of it you'll never use, some of it you might want to know. Duct tape, as much as men joke about it, can turn out to be one of the most versatile items you can possess. And no, I'm not joking about now, being completely serious.

sunnytn likes this.
  2. TheJim

TheJim Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    Always in my pack...love it!

Doug H. likes this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    modern duct tape isn't what it used to be.

4. Doug H.

Doug H. Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    No, it's not. With so many different manufacturers of it now, they are all trying to make it less expensive unfortunately that means a lower quality as well.

5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes, wife was complaining the other day that it didn't stick as well as it used to(was sticking some carpet down with it at the time).

6. Doug H.

Doug H. Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Best tape that I have found is Gorilla tape, it's more expensive, but if it's in a situation where it has to be good, it's hard to find better.

hollowgirl, Old Geezer and Para173 like this.
  7. SurvivingPrepper

SurvivingPrepper New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Agree with Doug. Gorilla tape is awesome!

hollowgirl likes this.
  8. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
  9. Mr Boots

Mr Boots Expert Member
      188/230

Blog Posts:
    I used to believe in duck tape.....
    Now I only use silage tape it does everything duck tape or gorilla tape but better it does not weather like duck tape and is a insulator so can be used to cover electric wires stick to everything duck tape does its water proof long life and cheaper I hav used it on everything from fixing a crack on my canoe to keep bandages on a cut on my arm on and dry while paddling I hav used it for years on everything it has never failed or falling apart like duck tape I know we all have our old fateful and for a lot of people duck tape is the only one for them but there is better out there don't be afraid to change and expand ur horizon

10. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    Mr Boots likes this.
  11. AidenBear

AidenBear New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Duct tape isn't the best and strongest tape out there but it can be very useful. For example, if you are camping in the wild there are many situations that you can find yourself needing tape. Tape can help a broken tent stay upright, along with many other things. I usually bring duct tape with me if I'm going on an outdoor trip and I recommend it unless you want to use a stronger tape.

12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    duct tape isn't what it used to be, bought some silage tape the other week, this is the stuff if you really want to stick something!!

Mr Boots likes this.
  13. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
  14. Jack Frost

Jack Frost New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    As expressed by everyone in here, Duck (Duct) tape has really sought to capitalize off its former quality with so many knock-off brands. What happened was that Duck tape became a generic trademark like Kleenex, and people started to buy the cheaper knock-offs. Duct tape therefore, had to reduce quality in order to maintain profit margins. I mean, "Duck tape" was long called "Duct tape." But, the marketing image and quality created by the specific Duck brand in the 70's-90's, was gobbled up by knock-offs over the years; resulting in lower quality across the board.

Also, you have the superglue phenomenon, where something is too potent in its original form. Superglue isn't anything like it used to be when it first came out. A decade or more ago, I had bought some really good waterproof and heat resistant "Duct tape"-like rolls that were a lot better than even the original Duct tape. I'm not sure what the brand name was.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  15. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    I taped some ducks once and they didn't give a quack.

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I'm so sorry for that awful pun!:(

16. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    I ain't right in my head ya know.
    And don't wanna be.:D