Use Non-Stick Spray On Your Shovel?

Discussion in 'Farming and Gardening' started by John Snort, Jun 21, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    For those who regularly use shovels when gardening, you know that it does get annoying and harder to use a shovel when damp soil sticks to the shovel? And in Clay soil it's even worse.

I've heard some "experts" in gardening say that non-stick spray can help but does it work on soil types?

What do you use to make your shovel or some other digging tool "non-stick?"

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    clean it regularly after use. grease it if necessary.

3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Some humour :) You made my day John, thank you :)
    Keith.

4. barbecueIt

barbecueIt New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I can't think of a way to make the shovel "non-stick". The soil or clay gives up from sticking to the shovel when it's heavy enough anyways so for me, there is no need to make it non-stick.

5. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    It doesn't bother me about damp dirt sticking to the shovel. It is judt part of gardening.

6. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    I have had black clay stick to my shovel and it becomes almost unusable. Greasing it might be a good idea. Then maybe you wouldn't have to clean it every 10 minutes. I'll have to try this the next time I have to dig in that nasty old dirt!

7. ukpreppergurl

ukpreppergurl Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I've never heard of such a thing. Mud is just part of gardening in my opinion - and - that extra weight on the shovel will give you even more of a workout while you're digging up your potatoes! ;)

8. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Our extended garden which is situated in the vacant lot beside our property has clay soil. It is so sticky that it is so hard to cultivate when the soil is wet. The clay will just cling to the shovel. But we have a trick to that. We use a bolo to scrape the clinging clay on the shovel or even on the trowel. We cannot help it sometimes because pulling the weeds are easy but you have to dig when the roots are left on the ground (they will grow later). Using the trowel to dig those roots is an ordeal if you are not a farmer.