Use Super Glue For Small Cuts

Discussion in 'Natural Medicine and Home Remedies' started by John Snort, May 31, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    A first tip that would be useful in any emergency situation. The risk of infection even from a small cuts especially if you don't have disinfectants is quite high. And that's why you should have some super glue with you. It can not only stop the bleeding fast but also speeds up the healing process because it inhibits the growth of bacteria.

Use it ONLY for minor cuts.

2. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Good idea in theory but not so in reality!

In reality superglue is put into piss poor containers, when you go to use it and you open that first aid kit you just might find
    one tube is rock solid, another tube leaked and has glued half your kit together or the tube splits as you use it thus getting it all over several fingers.
    And this is just my personal experience. not of the others who have had problems!
    You can get special superglue for medical use but it is horrendously expensive.
    I no longer carry it.
    There is no need to hurry to close wounds, small wounds will close themselves! just clean and bandage for a few days then when normal movement
    wont make it bleed leave it open to fresh air and sunshine! closure may leave smaller scars but can cause complications.

There is a lot one can do and a lot one just can not do but if you learn the basics and are game to give it a go one can do much.
    Number one problem out there is infection prevention/control, can you clean a wound? can you tell the difference between viable and non-viable tissue?
    How do you know a wound is clean enough to close? Have you actually stitched up flesh before? Can you tie that knot just using tweezers/forceps.
    My first row of six stitchs using tweezers and forceps was a disaster it took nearly an whole hour to get six really untidy stitchs done.
    They are nowhere as easy to do as you would think, even just handling the needle and thread is a pain as it is sterile instruments only as you cant do much
    with your fingers inside gloves!

Dude17 likes this.
  3. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Medical glue is used in hospitals to close cuts that are bad enough to need closing but don't need stitches. I would just use alcohol or an anti septic to sterilise the nozzle of the glue bottle first.

4. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    The only superglue to use is the medical stuff but it is too damn expensive for me!

5. Dude17

Dude17 New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Exactly the same here. Using superglue is always a pain because of the container. You may just make the situation worse if you find your fingers glued together without having something to cancel the glue out. It can easily take your skin off if you use force.

6. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I've had friends who have used regular super glue to close a wound, you just have to make sure you're careful with it and don't get it everywhere but it's not difficult.

7. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    It might or might not be surprising but super glue was invented to glue wounds together in the second world war. In fact it does seem that it what it does do the best, glue fingers together. There a re gel versions of super glue are they better at sealing a wound?

8. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I have used super glue as a liquid bandaid for years! There have been plenty of times that I've had minor injuries and had to break out the super glue to save the day. The best part about having the glue on hand is that it has other uses as well. It's a great thing to carry in your pack in case of emergencies. I found superglue most useful when I was moving from one area to the next. When one of my items would break along the way, it was easily prepared with my duct tape and superglue on hand.

9. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Super glue was made for surgery to seal veins is safe to use on cuts of all kinds

10. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    It may be safe to use super glue from what I hear, but I couldn't bring myself to do this. Super glue wasn't made to be used for medical purposes,
    or it wasn't stated to be . Just the fact that you have something on a cut that wasn't meant for that bothers me. I'd probably use alcohol and some gauze and keep the super glue for something else.

11. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Yes it was made for medical use on places where stiches werent practical used many years to heal cuts works great

12. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Super glue is good for wounds but I find the application the hard part!
    Not at home fixing a cup handle or such that is easy but in the field is where I find the problems!
    I have some but not in my FAK!
    I do have XXXL size hands though.:oops:

13. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    Super glue is most definitely in my mobile survival kit that I keep in the car, as well as the much larger stash that I keep at my house. It is fabulous for things like cuts and there is even some sort of medical glue that I believe is still used for this purpose, particularly in the military field. However, most of the time, stitches are used in non-emergency situations.